Quantcast

looking for a roadbike

AustinM

Chimp
Feb 22, 2005
hey, i'm a mtber and looking to pick a roadbike up, what do u guys think of this deal

Roadbike for sale

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GT Strike 58cm
Shimano RX100 Comp.
Carbon Fiber Seatpost
Selle Italia Flite(Ti) Saddle
ITM Bars
Two Wheelset(1) Mavic CXP 21 on RX100 Hubs w/MichelinAxial Comps
(2)Mavic MA2 on Shimano600 hubs w/ Vittoria Rubinos Pros
Asking $750 w/Look 357 pedals or $700 w/ single sided SPDs

neurostar

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Rochester, NY or Boise, ID
Yea, If you know you're gonna be into road riding, don't settle for less than 105.

I wasn't sure if I was really going to get into it, so I got a bike with sora.... it works... but..

I wish I would've gotten at least 105 stuff.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
reflux said:
ewwww, shimano 105 is the lowest i'd get. please pass on this bike.
with all due respect to y'all, especially my teacher SM who has the same philosophy...

buy the bike that fits you best within your price range. If it comes with Sora, so be it.

Like Neurostar, I didn't know I was going to ride as much as I do and wish I had gotten a better bike*, but now I'll have a back-up bike when I do get my new one :D

* actually, better quality and fitting frame really. I'd take the right frame with Sora over the bike I have now that has mostly ultegra.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
LordOpie said:
with all due respect to y'all, especially my teacher SM who has the same philosophy...

buy the bike that fits you best within your price range. If it comes with Sora, so be it.

Like Neurostar, I didn't know I was going to ride as much as I do and wish I had gotten a better bike*, but now I'll have a back-up bike when I do get my new one :D

* actually, better quality and fitting frame really. I'd take the right frame with Sora over the bike I have now that has mostly ultegra.
Ahhh, my bad, I forgot to mention what is typically common sense. Fit is priority number one, but everyone knows it's cheaper in the long run to get a bike with decent components than to buy lower quality and upgrade over the long haul. SM though, has taught you well young grasshopper. :thumb:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
LordOpie said:

I would get the best frame possible, then upgrade the parts. This GT does not sound like a super frame...

AustinM

Chimp
Feb 22, 2005
thanks guys, I really don't know much about road biking (all mtb). Was looking to get a basic roadbike for winter fitness/light and maybe the occassional race. MTB would still be my priority. Another question is roughly what size frame would I be looking at, 5'10.5 height. I know each frame will fit differently, but just a ballpark range. Thanks again for your help (all I know is like the XTR of road... I think)

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Road bike fit is not nearly as easy as a mtb. Inseam is prob the best measure for roadie fit. I'm 6'0" w/ 33" inseam. I ride a 58cm ctt (center to top) frame. My total dist. from pedal center at it's lowest to the top of my seat is 36.75". Knock off and inch for pedal/shoes/cleat, and another 1/2 an inch for seat sag and that puts me at around 35.25" total dist from seat to pedal. With my foot pointed slightly down, I'm perfectly positioned w/ a slight bend in the knee. On my mtb, my knees are bent slightly more, but not much.
So, go w/ your inseam and seat tube length to size a road as you can adjust your top tube/reach w/ stems.

Edit: you're prob going to be in the 56cm ctt/54cm ctc range. What's your inseam?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I love you Paully, but you're so wrong :blah:

Top-tube and even head-tube is just too important to not consider with all due seriousness, seriously.

How can a top-tube be adjusted? You really shouldn't use the saddle to do it, since it should be specifically set based on your knees/legs, so once set, that's done. You can adjust with a stem, but you've got such a narrow range fore/aft... what's ideal? 100-120mm? What's the lowest? 70-80mm? And handlebar height is so limited with stem angle... you don't really want to use a "stem riser"... tho you can remove spacers to go down, but most bikes these days have such a small head-tube and very few people want to lower their bars.