Quantcast

looking for mammoth riders

energyflow

Chimp
Aug 16, 2004
im new to riding in mammoth and am looking for some freeriders/downhillers to ride the mountain with. i ll be riding most weekends and some weekday afternoons.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
maybe try the "other" california forum... Still I don't think there are many that normally ride mammoth, are they even open during the week?

solar

Chimp
Jun 21, 2004
Energyflow:
Do you live up there?
I'll be in Mammoth Wed. through Monday.
PM me, maybe we can hook up.

solar

The mountain is open all week, there are tons of riders up there and it's easy to meet others to ride with. If you live there, you get all kinds of "local benefits", too. End of season, all the rental bikes are $350...

If you're just going to visit, you won't be dissapointed unless all you want to do is ride stuff like you see in articles about the Red Bull Challenge. The most gnarly stuff I saw, on ChainSmoke and lower Velocity, aren't as crazy as that.

If you're interested in long, fun, somewhat gnarly XC descending, it's there in spades and you will get worn out before you can ride it all.

If you enjoy seeing riders in full-on armor and humongous DH bikes on XC trails, you'll get that, too. Occasionally, you'll even see nutcases climbing the "descent" trails on hardtails. Damn those guys.

MXbrew

Chimp
Aug 6, 2004
Escondido, CA
I try to get up there a few times each summer. For downhill - Chainsmoke, Velocity and Bullet are the ticket. Weekdays are great, usually no crowds at all. Mostly kids and families on rental bikes, they usually stay on the easy stuff. As mentioned, it's pretty easy to hook up with someone up there.