Quantcast

looking for most basic trails

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
I'm looking for the most basic trails in the Denver area to get my 8 year old started.

I've checked around the cherry creek lake area but all the dirt sections I've found are extremely short.

At this point I'm looking for dirt trails with little or no rocks/roots and very little climbing. He has a single speed bike with no shocks.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
There is a trail that goes along the bottom of Green Mountain from 1 parking lot to the other.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
im not from colorado but visited friends who live in lakewood we rode at red rocks there were a lot of real cool trails. i live on the eastcoast and have kids, dont under estimate your 8 yr olds ability. both of my kids at that age and younger were desending rooty tight trails after a couple rides

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Check out Bear Creek Lake State Park, might be just what you're looking for. And once you get a gauge of their strength, you may be able to take them on something more climb-y but still smooth, like Lair-o-the-Bear? And who knows, like Cecil said maybe they'll surprise you!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Other good kid-options are South Valley (the Bugling Elk Trail), Flying-J up in Conifer, 3-Sisters from the meadow parking lot, and Elk Meadow in Evergreen.

I would *not* recommend the Green Mountain lower trail or Matthew Winters/Red Rocks until you get a better idea of the kid's abilities. Unless you're just planning on doing the short Matthew-Winters loop... but that's pretty short.