Quantcast

Lookout

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Lookout Mtn is probably my favorite ride in Central Oregon. It starts about an hour east of Bend. I don't know all the numbers and statistics, but this ride hands down, kicks ass. We took our "big bikes" to get used to climbing on them in Switzerland and France. Lugging 30 pounds around is way different than my little 24 pound xc bike, but it's all good.

The ride starts with 11 miles of climbing...around 4000' gain. If anyone has a more accurate stat, let me know...BeerDemon??? The whole climb up is so pretty though - green everywhere, and flowers mixed in.

I hurried ahead and snapped this pic as Derek came by.

More and more climbing, up and up to the top of Lookout Mtn.

I wouldn't advise beginners to ride this, it's a tough, challenging route. This was the last beginner that tried it.

We took a brief break at the top (6900') to admire the view and realize how fortunate we are to have riding like this so close.

Flowers everywhere!

Then we ripped downhill for around 8 miles.

I didn't take a whole lot of pics on the way down, you really have to keep your eyes on the trail because it is VERY narrow with rocks everwhere at the top. I did stop this time to take pics of the rock garden.

Back at the cars, all smiles.

If you are ever visiting Bend and feel like an epic ride, I will show you around up there, it is well worth your time and effort.