Quantcast

Lose the training wheels camp

redheadrider

Chimp
Feb 9, 2009
saw this on the VMB website and just wanted to help spread the word -

LOSE THE TRAINING WHEELS CAMP is coming to the Lehigh Valley to help children and young adults, ages 8 and up, with special needs achieve the amazing skill of riding a two-wheel bike. This rite of passage that is nearly standard for typically-developing children, is often out of reach for many kids with disabilities, and they are left on the sidelines while their peers enjoy the joy and freedom of riding their bikes. Volunteers, who select one or more 90-minute sessions for the five-day camp, are needed to serve as ‘spotters’ for the participants, providing motivation and encouragement, and sometimes physical support through a ‘bike handle,” attached to the back of a bike, making a lifelong difference in a child's life as they accomplish something they never believed they could achieve. This a great volunteer opportunity for individuals, families, and groups.

When: June 21-25, 2010 (Volunteers sign up for one of five sessions being held each day from 11am-7:30pm. Please see web site for specific session times available.) Volunteer will also be required to attend a training session on June 20, 6:30-7:30 pm, to get acquainted with the adapted equipment and learn how to support their rider.

Where: DeSales University, Center Valley

For more information and registration materials: visit www.epdsc.net (click on Lose the Training Wheels) or contact the Eastern PA Down Syndrome Center at (610) 402-0184 or TheEPDSC@gmail.com.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
That's actually pretty cool. I was a Special Olympics Ski instructor for 4 years. It was very rewarding (besides the free lift tickets ;) )

redheadrider

Chimp
Feb 9, 2009
i know, i sort of feel like i’m the one who’s benefiting more from the event. the first night went good and the kids are great. we have to walk/jog next to the rider and i was a little concerned that i wouldn’t be able to keep up (i don’t mind riding, but jogging a lot is a different story). so i was all prepared to just try to do the best i could to keep up. well i was lucky and i had a little girl who didn’t pedal too fast. funny how it always seems to just work out if you just let it happen.