Quantcast

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Ok, maybe shark jumping was the wrong term to use.

I just seems like watching a bad series of sequels to an original movie that was really good.

"Lost IIV: Back to the Island"

Replace shark jumping above with "straw grabbing".
In that case, I can't agree with you more.

Seasons 1 and 2: Amazing. Great storytelling, good acting, just enough mystery and "whoas" to keep viewers on their toes.

Season 3: Ugh.

I keep thinking (and hoping) that the craziness of these past several episodes will come together at one point and make sense. The writers have shown great creativity over the years, enough to convince me that they have a grand plan for the "straw-grabbing" known as Season 5.

Just freaking make it worth it!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
may i suggest brotherhood seasons 1&2.

just to add some sanity to this thread.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
It took me 5 seasons to finally sit down and watch an episode and I'm hooked now.

I just wish I had more time to catch up on all of the old episdodes.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I have never watched LOST. Ever. Is it really that good? These people seem to have been lost for a long time.

About the only shows that i watch is Rock of Love once in a while just to see what all of the scantily clad bimbo's are doing. And The Ultimate Fighter show since it just started back up.

Once in a while i'll watch Unique Autosports too.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I have never watched LOST. Ever. Is it really that good? These people seem to have been lost for a long time.

About the only shows that i watch is Rock of Love once in a while just to see what all of the scantily clad bimbo's are doing. And The Ultimate Fighter show since it just started back up.

Once in a while i'll watch Unique Autosports too.
We didn't watch lost until I sat through an episode of season 1 late one night. I figured It'd be worth a rent so I rented the first part of season 1... wife and I watched every episode back to back, then went and rented all of seasons 1 and 2. We were/are totally hooked. What a great story with great characters, totally recommend it, but don't try to get in on the current season unless you have seen all of the others... wont make sense at all.

Oh and BTW I watch Ultimate fighter also, though I usually hate reality shows. Finally a reality show where the people can get mad at each other and literally get to fight it out... I think Team USA is probably in big trouble.

Last edited:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I missed the episode of TUF this week and forgot to set up the DVR. USA isn't looking so hot eh? Those brits looked tough as nails. That one dude with the tats and the shaved head looks like he's gonna do way good. He was aggressive as eff. Kneed his opponent in the head right as the bell rang. Burly.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I missed the episode of TUF this week and forgot to set up the DVR. USA isn't looking so hot eh? Those brits looked tough as nails. That one dude with the tats and the shaved head looks like he's gonna do way good. He was aggressive as eff. Kneed his opponent in the head right as the bell rang. Burly.
US Just making us all look bad... Fuhking unprofessional slobs. 1 guy had a herpes sore on his forehead (disqualified), 2 others fainted several times trying to cut weight and another dude didn't make his weight (disqualified).

Couple of good dudes in there, but mainly overshadowed by problems.

As for the brits... I thought the blonde submission guys looked pretty good. Got a split second chance for a heel hook and executed it faster than I have ever seen. Opponent tapped in less than a second.

Last edited:

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
You caught the episode from this past week? It was a killer.
Last week's epsidode was incredible ... what's in the shadow of the statue? What's in the crate? Is Locke the new barney badass? Is Ben still a player in the game? Did Widmore send any of the people on the second plane?

I have watched some of the first season, an episode here and there over the last few years and most of this season. Two people I work with are nuts about the show and that is all they can talk about on Thursdays. They convinced me to give it a shot.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
So, everyone is a small piece in a greater game between two god-like figures. Damn, I never saw that coming.
Whoa, I didn't get that out of it, Honestly, I didn't know WHAT to make of last nights episode. But that would be a lot easier to explain all the weirder stuff that happens. The time travel stuff I can understand, but they haven't explained any of the other stuff like the smoke monster, the statue, desmond's clairvoyance, Claire and Jack Father in Jacob's hut, Hurley and the numbers.

What a way to introduce 2 brand new chararcters for the last of seven seasons.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Whoa, I didn't get that out of it, Honestly, I didn't know WHAT to make of last nights episode. But that would be a lot easier to explain all the weirder stuff that happens. The time travel stuff I can understand, but they haven't explained any of the other stuff like the smoke monster, the statue, desmond's clairvoyance, Claire and Jack Father in Jacob's hut, Hurley and the numbers.

What a way to introduce 2 brand new chararcters for the last of seven seasons.
Smoke monster is still kind of a mystery. There's a thought that the guy opposite of Jacob in the opening scene is somewhat related to (or is?) the monster.

The statue is where Jacob lives. Beyond that, we should find out next season the meaning behind why it is that particular statue.

Desmond? huh?

One theory that I'm taking a liking to is that every "reincarnated" dead person on the island is Jacob's enemy. I think he's been playing with the Losties minds in order to kill Jacob. See the walking non-reincarnated Locke. He's clearly dead, but Jacob's enemy has taken hold of his body. Perhaps he's done the same with Christian, Claire, Alex, and so on.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I think the very first scene was very telling in terms of explaining the entire dynamic of the show and why things have happened the way that they have throughout the years. Jacob and our yet unnamed friend are two souls that have existed on this island for a very long time. Either they were put there by someone else, or were born there......or if you subscribe to the religious tennent that has been alluded to, Jacob and Esau--descendants of Abraham........orgods of ancient Egyptian lore that have been sent to this island as some sort of punishment. Either way, the unnamed person is resentful of their existence on the island and clearly places that blame on Jacob. He explains that if given the opportunity....or loophole as he puts it, he would relish the opportunity to kill Jacob in an instant.

Jacob is someone who is experimenting with humanity....all of its faults, beauty, ugliness, pettiness and war. The other is very distraught at Jacob for continuing these experiments and has grown very tired of every one of them turning out the same way. Jacob feels there is progress made each time....what that progress is, we have yet to find out.

I do not believe this person on the island is the smoke monster(and I simply hate every mention of even the words smoke monster, Ole Smokey or whatever you want to call it).....or anything to that effect, but these two people are obviously gods in some sense that they can effect people in the real world by bringing back life, or changing decisions made by those people with a simple touch. It's in this one may argue that we're dealing with a God/Satan thing....quite possibly, but I doubt it is as obvious as that. Jacob has, at some point or another, found a way to keep his friend contained within the rustic cabin by a ring of ash, mystical dust or lots of dandruff from those dirty hippies at the DHARMA Initiative. What we, as the viewer have been led to believe.....and Locke too, is that the person in the cabin is Jacob, when in fact, it is the imprisoned rival all this time. The "Help Me" cry Locke heard back in Season 3 was this rival trying to find a connection to someone whom they could manipulate into getting them out of their Jacob-imposed confines. Locke was the perfect candidate...having lost all sense of purpose and possesing a very weak mind that could easily be exploited in this manner. When Illana, Bram and the rest of the Ajira survivors(whom I believe are in the employ of Charles Widmore) foound the cabin, the ring of ash had a break in it....meaning that the imprisoned one had been released. For how long, we do not know....but what we do know, is that is was long enough to set in motion a sequence of events that led to Ben's murder of Locke and his subsequent "resurrection" when Ajira crashed back on the island.

I believe that there are rules to the game these two ancient beings are playing. One cannot do something without the other knowing it. Jacob touched the lives of our 815'ers in a certain pattern and I believe that his imprisoned friend/foe knew of these events and planned to find a "loophole" that would allow his freedom. How that is, we as viewers are not yet granted that information. Our characters--Richard, the Others, the 815 survivors, the Ajira survivors, the freighter people, Widmore, Hawking, Faraday, Ben.....they are all just pawns in this game, but the exploitation of free will--which has been such a centerpiece to this season will be the game changing piece to this puzzle that will allow the endless loop of people coming to the island and always doing the same thing, to end.

Chew on that.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Lots to chew on. Swap Gods for Aliens too.
I'm pretty sure Locke is the one who messes up the ring when he runs out of the cabin:
Aliens....sure, I'm open to whatever. I guess the reason I'm hanging on the gods-thing is the giant Anubis-like statue and Egyptian hieroglyphics that are in the tunnels and inside the statue.

Ash ring......I'm thinking Hurley when he stumbled off the front porch of it when he saw Christian in the rocking chair last season and ran into Locke in the jungle.

Since we're speaking of Hurley...and I've had a few nights to sleep on it, I'm thinking that he may be the one that can cause an end to this endless loop of people coming to the island, fighting and then killing each other. He seems to be the only one of the group that hasn't committed some egregious sin in the past. Jacob himself told him "what if you weren't cursed....what if you were actually blessed" during their conversation in the cab outside the prison when Hurley was released. I just have this funny feeling we're going to see Hurley play a much more vital role in this whole mess.

Edit: DNA posted while I was composing my response--I with him on this one.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
Yeah yeah, that's what I was thinking about. Hurley.

Yeah I went to aliens because of the Anubis statue. ala Stargate, BSG, Indiana Jones, and a crap load of other Sci fi movies and shows that indicate that the aliens populated the planet and we where gods were derived from.

Found a random forum discussion that has this discussion:
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread186993/pg1

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I think that the statue is Sobek, the crocodile god (that statue had a lot of teeth). I'm not sure what it means or anything.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I think that the statue is Sobek, the crocodile god (that statue had a lot of teeth). I'm not sure what it means or anything.
Sobek is a good assumption(and a popular one too) as he was a deity that affected change by calling upon other gods to accomplish a certain task. Much in the way the Jacob cannot directly tell someone to do something.....rather he "nudges" someone in a certain direction through influential conversations and indirect action. I.E. when he distracted Sayid just barely long enough to keep him from walking out into the street and getting hit by the car. His wife, Nadia however kept walking and got killed by the car. Thus sending Sayid into a pit of dispair and self loathing which would allow Ben to manipulate his feelings and direct that anger towards being a hitman for Ben to kill off all of Widmore's people.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Since we're speaking of Hurley...and I've had a few nights to sleep on it, I'm thinking that he may be the one that can cause an end to this endless loop of people coming to the island, fighting and then killing each other.
Upon second viewing of the finale, there were some similarities between what Jacob said at the beginning and what Rose and Bernard said about this sort of thing. I can't remember details but it is worth the time to watch those parts again.

Plus Rose and Bernard were funny as hell ... "Oh Hell! They found us!"

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I was sort of disapointed with the 5th season, it felt really "detached" from the other seasons. Almost as if it were it's own show, time travel lingo and theories made it seems very convoluted.

Who were the people coming on the boat in the beginning of the episode on the boat?(circa 1800s)
the black pearl?

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I was sort of disapointed with the 5th season, it felt really "detached" from the other seasons. Almost as if it were it's own show, time travel lingo and theories made it seems very convoluted.

Who were the people coming on the boat in the beginning of the episode on the boat?(circa 1800s)
the black pearl?
I'm sure you weren't the only one who had issues with the time travel. I personally loved it because it really challenged me as a viewer to do my own investigations and research to try and keep up with what they were trying to do. Not many shows have the balls to do that, so for me it was all good. Since the shows creators had a definite end date that they set way back in the beginning of season 2, they were able to tell a story that gave each episode enough weight that built upon the next episode. I thought it was very well done.

The people on the ship seen in the beginning were meant to be the crew from the Black Rock. We can only assume the Richard was part of that crew.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Upon second viewing of the finale, there were some similarities between what Jacob said at the beginning and what Rose and Bernard said about this sort of thing. I can't remember details but it is worth the time to watch those parts again.

Plus Rose and Bernard were funny as hell ... "Oh Hell! They found us!"
The guy in the black shirt said "They come, they fight, they destroy, they corrupt"... He pretty much thinks this will always be the case wheras Jacob believes that in all of this, there will be someone born who can break this cycle and end the loop with the purity of their being....or something celestial like that.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
The guy in the black shirt said "They come, they fight, they destroy, they corrupt"... He pretty much thinks this will always be the case wheras Jacob believes that in all of this, there will be someone born who can break this cycle and end the loop with the purity of their being....or something celestial like that.
Didn't Rose or Bernard say something about "you people are always finding something to fight about."

I find it hard to believe that those two would be pivotal characters in the whole thing. They have been tangential at best so far.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
I havn't read all of this, so maybe its been brought up. But it seemed, to me at least, that Locke wasn't himself especially during that last encounter with Jacob. That was confirmed when Jacob said something to effect of "well you finally found your loophole", referring to the guy at the beginning of the episode who wanted to kill Jacob.

The question I have for anyone is first off, who was that guy on the beach with Jacob; and how did he get there? I'm assuming he came at the same time as Jacob, but I have no idea any more. And how did that guy come back as John Locke? It had been mentioned in previous episodes that when Locke came back he wasn't acting like himself.

Anyways, those are the big questions in my noggin right now.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I havn't read all of this, so maybe its been brought up. But it seemed, to me at least, that Locke wasn't himself especially during that last encounter with Jacob. That was confirmed when Jacob said something to effect of "well you finally found your loophole", referring to the guy at the beginning of the episode who wanted to kill Jacob.

The question I have for anyone is first off, who was that guy on the beach with Jacob; and how did he get there? I'm assuming he came at the same time as Jacob, but I have no idea any more. And how did that guy come back as John Locke? It had been mentioned in previous episodes that when Locke came back he wasn't acting like himself.

Anyways, those are the big questions in my noggin right now.
To kind of answer both of your questions, Locke wasn't himself because he was actually the guy on the beach that you saw with Jacob in the beginning of the finale. Jacob and he have been playing a sort of "game" where Jacob brings people to the island to test humanity and their reactions to the environment. According to Jacobs counterpart, the game always ends the same with fighting, corruption and death between the people that are brought to the island. Jacob's friend has grown weary of this and wants out. His only "out" we can surmise, is to kill Jacob. The "rules" of their game apparently dictate that he cannot kill Jacob directly, but must have someone else do it for him. He hatches a plan by through this long chain of events, Locke is to be chosen the "leader" of the others....but first, Locke is killed by Ben so that Jacobs friend can inhabit his spirit and get close enough to jacob by where he can use Ben to rid himself of Jacob. The big reveal at the end of the finale, was when the Ajira flight survivors dumped Locke's actual body out of the metal crate to show Richard that who he just let in to see Jacob was not actually Locke....but the embodiment of Locke as it is possessed by Jacob's friend. That was the loophole that is mentioned. Jacob's friend had previously inhabited Jack's father, Christian as his body was on the original 815 flight. He used Christian in several ways to set into motion this chain of events which eventually led to Locke's death off island by Ben.

I know this sounds crazy...but hang in there for next season as much more of this dynamic will be resolved.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
Thanks, that helps clear stuff in my mind. I didn't even think about that guy taking over Chistian too, bizarre.

I can't wait until next season.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Wow. I'm blown away by how many posts there are in this thread about LOST. I've still never watched a single episode.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
You are obviously missing out on something. =]

Seriously. Give it a shot. Rent the first season.
I wish i could sit around all day and do that. But usually when i have time to do something like that, it means that something else is being neglected. I should be doing my laundry, doing yard work, spending time with the kids, the dogs, or the fiance. "My time" is pretty scarce these days.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
but first, Locke is killed by Ben so that Jacobs friend can inhabit his spirit and get close enough to jacob by where he can use Ben to rid himself of Jacob.
but Ben didnt know thats what Jacob's friend wanted. Ben said he has never even seen Jacob before, let alone his friend.

your whole idea though sounds pretty good though.:lighten:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I wish i could sit around all day and do that. But usually when i have time to do something like that, it means that something else is being neglected. I should be doing my laundry, doing yard work, spending time with the kids, the dogs, or the fiance. "My time" is pretty scarce these days.
Watch it with the lady. My fiance loves the show.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
but Ben didnt know thats what Jacob's friend wanted. Ben said he has never even seen Jacob before, let alone his friend.
Oh absolutely.....that's what is so tragic about Ben's story. For 35 years he's been tirelessly doing the islands bidding in the name of Jacob.....but really, he was part of a very long con by Jacob's counterpart(I really wish he had a name) to set up a whole series of events by which he would feel so furious at being bamboozled by what he thought were Jacob's orders, that he would have no choice but to lash out at Jacob in fit of murderous rage.

All of those years spent destroying lives, murders, kidnapping and general nastiness Ben thought was attributed to what Jacob wanted---what the island wanted. But really, he was just as much a pawn in this game as Locke was. That was part of the black shirt guys plan....for someone who has existed on the island for many many centuries, 35 years spent setting up this plan was a drop in the bucket time-wise for him. Jacob, on the other hand, was countering this plan with one of his own---the passengers of Flight 815.

Remember, Jacob said to his black-shirt friend: "It only ends once...everything else up to that point is just progress" Meaning that although this has been played out many times, the game has yet to end because neither he nor Jacob have been released from the island through either death or humanity finding a way to break the cycle of fighting, corruption and death.