Quantcast

loud landings

mutasmurf

Chimp
Feb 16, 2002
Bellingham, WA
I just got into mtb-ing 3 months ago on a 01' gt agressor 1.0. It's not a great bike, but it's decent...and i figured it'd be a good bike to learn on.

anyways i mostly do urban stuff, and whenever i do bunny hops, the bike makes so much noise on landing. My roommate has a 01' Kona stuff with hayes hydraulic...and his bike is so quiet when he hops. I'm thinking it's a combination of my crappy rims (which i've bent several times), the chain, and maybe the spokes. I got lizard skins to protect my frame from chain-slap...but it doesn't help much with noise.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the annoying sounds?

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
spend as much money as possible on new bike parts and don't practice.

seriously though if you've only been riding for three months you're not going to be all that smooth. just practice

M

MuDHoG

mostly just a matter of learning how to use your legs for smooth landings and transitions, if it thumps it thumps, just as long as nothing falls off :)

gtbike

Chimp
Nov 3, 2001
I live in Surprise, Arizona
I am the proud owner of a GT and have been for quite some time. I have always noticed GT's to be a little louder than most. The rear derailler slapping the chain stay is a good one to check. My bike is still noisy than most, but what the heck, if I wanted a nice quiet time in the wilderness I would be a hiker not a biker!

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
Right on brother..............

Like I posted before.....

My derl. sometimes smashes up against the back chainstay closest to the cogs, it is hella loud. what I did was go to home depot and get some 1/2" x 1/4' weather stripping and put it right where the derl. hits the frame, it pretty much solved the problem, it's now more of a thud than a clanging metal to metal sound.
Him who belch dog urine have very mad breath.

gtbike

Chimp
Nov 3, 2001
I live in Surprise, Arizona
Try this, get some of that white RTV from any hardware store, and lay a bead of that about 1/3 inch thick across the top of the derr. I used that and it works great. It dries semi-hard and is kida springy. My theory is that the spring in the RTV will bounce the derr. back to position quickly. Sounds funny but it makes me feel better!

mutasmurf

Chimp
Feb 16, 2002
Bellingham, WA
Thanks guys for the suggestions and comments.

The tire tubing around the chainstay really helped alot...and i've done some work on my sloppy landings. There's still some noise involved, but that's due to the front derailure-slap (oh well).

way2jedi4u

Chimp
Nov 27, 2001
Boulder, CO
Originally posted by Racerx7734
Practice your landings and check to make sure that the rear derailure is not smaking the frame when you land................this makes an awfull sound....
If ya had SRAM that wouldnt happen :D Oooo...I remember the days of the *DING* sound on my landings, all it takes is rythm. If you have light duty XC wheels, they may make a little bit of noise, but if you have the fluid landing motion they shouldn't be too loud. If you're looking for new wheels, the best deal in town is $110 for a set of Rhyno Lite XL rims on LX hubs, at least thats what I sprung for, soon to be 24" PX BMF's on 36h PX Goliath hubs, just for gits and shiggles.

greasemonkey

Chimp
Jul 4, 2001
WA
maybe your headset or hubs or cassette or bottom bracket, or all of those are loose. that would make quite a racket.

G

grommet

To fix that nasty deraillieur slap use a piece of foam weather stripping (the stuff one might use around door jams to keep the wind from sneaking in) This stuff has an adhesive backing but wrap some electrical tape around it to keep it firmly in place. Works like a charm on my AC2.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by way2jedi4u

If ya had SRAM that wouldnt happen :D
Yeah you have a whole bunch of other problems if you use SRAM :p It doesn't stay attached to the bike long enough for it to make noise ;) :D

Shimano all the way.......

Actually I like their cassettes but I stay away from der and shifters....I am a rapidfire fan myself. Personal preference....I like my bike to shift when I want it to :eek: :cool: