Quantcast

Lower back

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
My lower back keeps getting strained and when I am really pushing the bike I really feel the back working. Especially this weekend it was a little painful/irritated. What I am doing wrong?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I think it really depends on how in depth the fit is and the experience of the person doing it. If it's a one time eyeball some measurements and change a stem deal, it won't cost that much. I'd expect to pay $100+ for a good fitting...some places charge 2 times that or more...

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
I would start with tons of core work. When your a pushing a hard gear it's your core keepin everything stable. When your core is weak, namely your abs, they give out. Once that happens it falls to the back and hence the pain

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
i was fit by a top notch dude and my lower back still hurt because my core was weak. it seems to me, if you're going to be in the correct position, you're going to need a strong core to sustain that position

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Damn it I have enough trouble squeezing in riding time. Now I have to do core training too. I had really hope I would build the strength just riding the bike :(

Would something like this work

I wonder how may repetitions I should do. I like the exercise will also get me ready for the red carpet :rolleyes:

Last edited:

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
Damn it I have enough trouble squeezing in riding time. Now I have to do core training too. I had really hope I would build the strength just riding the bike :(
in my experience, putting in a lot of miles (especially big full body climbs) will build core strength...doesn't mean it won't hurt getting there. I took October - March off of the road bike and the amount of.....wait or it......back fat I've lost in a month is both awesome and disgusting. Sitting at my desk job 8 hours a day doesn't hurt anymore... it did all winter.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Just a thought....I was having back issues a while back while racing cross. It would only bother me about 40 minutes into an hour race and the pain was so bad I would have to slow down. Went the chiro and it turned out my lower back was all out of place. Couple of visits and I was golden.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
is there any more room on the steerer to raise the stem? I'd start by getting the bars higher up.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I would start with tons of core work. When your a pushing a hard gear it's your core keepin everything stable. When your core is weak, namely your abs, they give out. Once that happens it falls to the back and hence the pain
I have started doing core strength. So far two times 45 minutes this week. Besides hopefully helping on the bike its nice to have a alternative to bike riding as I can't ride every day. Thank you for the advice again :thumb:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I have started doing core strength. So far two times 45 minutes this week. Besides hopefully helping on the bike its nice to have a alternative to bike riding as I can't ride every day. Thank you for the advice again :thumb:
Ha, yes, when I had knee surgery I would spend my time in the gym doing countless core exercises just so I could still workout.:thumb: