Quantcast

LRP roller -> 3 rings?

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
Since i was really bored tonight and i had to do some component swapping, i wanted to see what would happen if you use an LRP roller with 3 chainrings. Basically move the roller back a bit so when you're in the third chainring, the chain is wedged between the big flange and the ring. I thought it would completely suck, but i've been riding it and jumping (granted, only around my parking lot complex) and it has held up great- no dropped chain, no chainslap, full range of usable gears). The only problem i've seen so far is while in the big ring and backpedaling, the flange catches the chain and throws it off the roller. I'm going to go to ace tomorrow to find a big spacer to put outside the roller to prevent this.... then i'm going to go for an actual ride and see how it holds up. I know it's a stupid idea, but it's a cheap means to an end and worth trying.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Wouldn't two narrow roller-like front derailleurs work for a three ring chainguide?

Whoa...crazy statement from an XC whore who knows nothing about chainguides at 3:30AM...goodnight...

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
i've discovered that spacing is critical. I removed one spacer from the inside, and now it drops while backpedaling towards the inside. spookydave, i'd love to get a new roller, but this is all stuff i had on hand... looks like we're pretty close, maybe we can ride sometime.

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
I'm old and slow but I'm down to ride. Been doing the Fully loop on web & fri just to get on the bike. I know I know but it's close to my work.
But I'll ride anything any were so let me know.