Quantcast

M is for value

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
From Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

Marzocchi relaunches with two forks and a dropper post

Marzocchi spokesman Matt Pacocha said Fox has worked to transition Marzocchi production from its previous Taiwan manufacturer to Fox's factory in Taiwan. The brand is being positioned as "high-value," he said.

"The forks are very high quality and durable. They just give up some weight and adjustability to hit a lower price," he said. The Marzocchi fork line starts at $699 in the aftermarket, while Fox's least expensive aftermarket fork starts at $729.

The Marzocchi line includes two forks — one for trail and one for DH — and a dropper post. The fork pricing starts with the Bomber Z1 at $699 in the aftermarket, lower than any Fox aftermarket fork. Both forks feature Fox's FIT GRIP dampers and EVOL air springs. They use 6000-series aluminum lower legs, while Fox uses higher grade 7000-series aluminum on all Fox-branded forks except the Rhythm.

The Bomber Z1 is a product name that dates to 1997, and has had a reputation for prioritizing ride quality and durability over feathery weight. The latest iteration will be available in 27.5-inch and 29/27.5+ wheel sizes. The 29/27.5+ model will be available in travel from 130 mm to 170 mm in 10 mm increments, while the 27.5-inch model will be available in 150-180mm versions. The fork will retail for $699 and be available in red or black.

The second Marzocchi fork is the Bomber 58, a 203 mm-travel air-spring double-crown fork with new 40 mm lower legs. It will be available for 27.5-inch wheels with 20x110 DH axles and will retail for $999, also in red or black.

The Marzocchi Transfer dropper post has Marzocchi branding for riders who like to match their forks with their post. It's a cable-activated post available in 100-, 125-, or 150 mm travel options, with internal or external remote cable routing. There are below-bar and above-bar remote options and it retails for $294.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's sad seeing Zokes devaluated like this. Relegated to the performance sector, with simpler adjustments and heavier than the Fox counterparts. They pack a lot for such a price though.
Pretty much proves that fox only wanted then for the brand, most likely as to be able to enter the value market without diluting the fox brand

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Fox lowers are 7000 series aluminum? So is that a 7k al/mg alloy? I always thought you could set them on fire if you needed to.
Al
series major alloying element
2xxx Copper
3xxx Manganese
4xxx Silicon
5xxx Magnesium
6xxx Magnesium and silicon
7xxx Zinc

The creation of precipitates from alloy rich regions is the chief strengthening mechanism of Aluminum alloys.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fox lowers are 7000 series aluminum? So is that a 7k al/mg alloy? I always thought you could set them on fire if you needed to.
Early ones, for sure. Fox had a bad industrial accident with lowers many years ago when they were just starting out with mtb forks. I have no idea what the settlement was, but I have direct knowledge that someone got messed up pretty bad.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Well, I wonder if there will be a coil offering. A cheap coil fork (hopefully durable) and an aftermarket damper (providing someone makes one) and there you have it.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
I've thrown many many Fox lower legs to bonfires and I can say with absolute confidence they are indeed made from a very high magnesium content alloy.

If anyone attempts to do the same, I recommend wearing one of these:

Also have some popcorn

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Sweet that they advertise “thicker stanchions” (implying stronger: Marzocchi=durability blah blah blah) when it’s really just to bring the strength up to near the level of the 7000 series counterparts.
:stosh:

Makes me wonder where manufacturers are secretly cheaping- out on this. Less obvious than the old days of chrome plated shit-fork stanchions!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Sweet that they advertise “thicker stanchions” (implying stronger: Marzocchi=durability blah blah blah) when it’s really just to bring the strength up to near the level of the 7000 series counterparts.
:stosh:
Cheaper fork is made cheaper. :think:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Cheaper fork is made cheaper. :think:
What was it? $30 cheaper than the cheapest Fox? Pretty shitty trade off IMO.
I was not aware that current stanchions are 7000 series (makes sense) but for anyone without that knowledge, all you come away with is thicker and burlier like the Lyric compared to a pike...
Vital Lizard MTB said:
The stanchions are made from 6000-series alloy which and are thicker than other 36mm stanchions on the market. With the combination of thicker 36mm stanchiofns and a burly crown, the Z1 holds true to the mentality of stiffness over gram shavings.
https://m.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Forks,33/Marzocchi/Bomber-Z1,22599#product-reviews/3163

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Pretty shitty trade off IMO.
Totally agree, but as if Fox were going to buy Marzocchi out to revive them to be better than their own product. I got some riding on the last generation of "real" Marzocchi gear before they died (380R2C2, Espresso, Moto C2R), and honestly it sucked compared to the Fox gear anyway (hit and miss). Some of the forks had a lot of stiction / some felt good, and the shock rebound was a bit flaky / wheezy.

That brand was dead once Bryson Martin jumped ship, so this is as good as anyone could have expected.

I do wish they put a coil assembly in the Marz "36" and "40" so people could buy the parts for their Fox.