Quantcast

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Gemini, put the gun down man! Jeez, you are OUTRAGED! ;)
Anyways, I am not an employee or company shill, but in regards to the paint up-charge, I do know their powder coater does not CHARGE them that much money to paint, but I believe that price is more of an 'inconvenience fee', where they have to get your 'custom color' out of the daily spray schedule of stock colors and it jacks the whole system up to have a custom color done, ya follow? Could you imagine asking Audi/Porsche to paint your car a color that is not offered in their stock selection and what that would cost?...or asking Yamaha to custom paint your subframe another color besides blue?

It is a small business, with calculated and scheduled paint runs, to throw in another color can really effect their bottom line ("****, we are going to miss out on painting 15 stock white frames today just to get this guys neon yellow paint done!") I have a feeling that no matter what explanation you get, you are still going to be irate at the brand, but thought i'd just chime in with another side of the coin.

And captain spauldin, my wifes M9 (don't worry, she's not some hack chick rider) just got a Vivid air installed, she only has a few runs on it on local trails, hasn't taken it to a proper bike park yet, but she was pretty impressed-and this is after 15 years of riding works coil over's from numerous brands.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
And captain spauldin, my wifes M9 (don't worry, she's not some hack chick rider) just got a Vivid air installed, she only has a few runs on it on local trails, hasn't taken it to a proper bike park yet, but she was pretty impressed-and this is after 15 years of riding works coil over's from numerous brands.
Did she get a works Vivid too or is it stock?
BTW: She should race WC again and show those kids how it is done! :thumb:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Did she get a works Vivid too or is it stock?
BTW: She should race WC again and show those kids how it is done! :thumb:
Its from RockShox race shop, so probably a bit of blackbox sauce in it lol. I was surprised how good it felt in my extensive driveway testing sessions hahaha, love the weight too...I expected it to feel weird on such a beastly world cup bike like an M9, but like I said, surprised.

Leigh is 40 now, working full time (for Interbike) and is the most kick ass mom to our 6 yr old, her world cup days are DONE (I have to beg her to not want to race!). She gave it a go at 2010 world champs, was 8th!, first place mom and oldest competitor. :-)

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Cool beans, good to hear. I got my pushed team issue vivid coil from old bike, seems like a shame to not use it(Figure I can probably get more $$ for a new RC4 vs a used vivid)

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Leigh is 40 now, working full time (for Interbike) and is the most kick ass mom to our 6 yr old, her world cup days are DONE (I have to beg her to not want to race!). She gave it a go at 2010 world champs, was 8th!, first place mom and oldest competitor. :-)
THIS is why she needs to race again!!!! :thumb:

DHDreams

Chimp
May 11, 2008
Anyone mount a Vivid Air onto an M9? Which way should it be oriented? I was trying to find pictures, but couldn't find any. I probably overlooked them. Any issues with assembly if you did?
Thanks!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
My boss is on it for me,but if I dont get news by wens,I will call myself.
apparently he's not. ive gotten several in the time you havent gotten yours

Should have my M9 on friday, pumped! Any tips/tricks to know whilst I'm building it up?
i would loosen the main box link bolts and re-torque them to make sure they are correct.
mastic tape near the BB/swingarm are works wonders on keeping everything quiet since the chain runs pretty close to that area.
i also put some silicone in the slit for the top headset cup. i sold the angleset a while ago and have no use for the split HT but it does let a lot of water in if you wash your bike often...which will in turn, kill your lower headset bearing.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
i would loosen the main box link bolts and re-torque them to make sure they are correct.
mastic tape near the BB/swingarm are works wonders on keeping everything quiet since the chain runs pretty close to that area.
i also put some silicone in the slit for the top headset cup. i sold the angleset a while ago and have no use for the split HT but it does let a lot of water in if you wash your bike often...which will in turn, kill your lower headset bearing.
Thanks, will do. I got some of that shelter(http://www.cantitoeroad.com/shelter) stuff for the downtube and for the chainstays/BB/Swingarm, I've had good luck w/it on other bikes(although it's kinda tricky getting on perfectly). The go-ride deal doesn't come w/the angleset, so I'll be getting some silicone..

bullit398

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
Neptune, NJ
Thanks, will do. I got some of that shelter(http://www.cantitoeroad.com/shelter) stuff for the downtube and for the chainstays/BB/Swingarm, I've had good luck w/it on other bikes(although it's kinda tricky getting on perfectly). The go-ride deal doesn't come w/the angleset, so I'll be getting some silicone..
If you're running shelter on the down tube I would double up. I still got dents with the single layer last year.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
apparently he's not. ive gotten several in the time you havent gotten yours
Oh he is,its the FANTASTIC service of the local distributer.

thanks for letting me know this,the owner of the shop is now taking this in his own hands for myself.

Again thanks Steve for letting me know you have received several in the time line of me waiting. ( were waiting on parts ) yet I see new m9's being posted on the facebook page,clearly parts are available.

someone is gona eat it

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
man, i finally rode the bike in the 9.5" setting and now im second guessing why i havent ridden it in this position from the beginning. the bike seems a lot more plush and the travel seems a lot more endless.
i had to bump up the CCDB Air's pressure to 170psi, which got me to around 1.25" sag. the bike rides so much better in the 9.5" IMO..especially after riding it solely in the 8.5" setting

SCARY

Not long enough
Did you try it in 9" and in the most linear setting yet?To me 9.5 was just a little too much as far as being able to push and pop off stuff when I needed.I did use it at Snowmass where it really fast and rough with holes in it.The linear position really helped with the kick you get sometimes on square edge fast hits.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
man, i finally rode the bike in the 9.5" setting and now im second guessing why i havent ridden it in this position from the beginning. the bike seems a lot more plush and the travel seems a lot more endless.
i had to bump up the CCDB Air's pressure to 170psi, which got me to around 1.25" sag. the bike rides so much better in the 9.5" IMO..especially after riding it solely in the 8.5" setting
I think it's great in the long mode. Even with the CCDB coil. Maybe TOO planted for some tastes...

Try the long chainstay yet? :wait:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
How do you like the CCDBAir on the M9? Any downside at all?
it took a bit to get the sag dialed in right when i first got it. it also appeared that i wasnt getting full travel according to the o-ring on the shaft but it seems that the shock doesnt want to go to a full 3". other then that, its been great. it rides just like the coil did but with less weight

Did you try it in 9" and in the most linear setting yet?To me 9.5 was just a little too much as far as being able to push and pop off stuff when I needed.I did use it at Snowmass where it really fast and rough with holes in it.The linear position really helped with the kick you get sometimes on square edge fast hits.
didnt try and the 9" at all yet. i just tried the 9.5" after two years and think ill ride it like this from now on. i had to use the most linear setting on the frame because of how progressive the DB Air is. in the middle and lowest position, it seemed way too harsh and too progressive.

Try the long chainstay yet? :wait:
not this time. its been in the middle setting since ive had it. next trip ill be trying it in the longest setting.

Orangesicle

Chimp
Feb 16, 2011
You find it jumps ok in the 9.5 travel setting? Ich.
I worked it the other way from there down to the 8.5 setting.
And I can't see a reason to change it ever.
I have it set in the medium progressive setting/middle hole.
Love it there.
Oh and way more slo speed rebound than I ever though imaginable on the CCDB.
Rides super now.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i didnt have a problem or notice too much of a difference in the 9.5" setting. the extra inch of travel did help with bottom out on the super fast step ups.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Brining this back just because I can...

So those with the new lower box link, and with their flip chips with teflon tape/anti-seize compound, are you still experiencing any creaking noise?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
no problems what so ever. after i got the proper box link, i havent had to tape up the flip chips but i still put some anti seize on it just in case.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I have the new link, and it has never squeaked. The only time it squeaks/creaks is if the spring turns so that the end is in the slot. That's easy to "fix".

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
How did you guys install the new bearings? (send it back to Intense, have some proper tool..etc)
I posted a quasi how-to many pages ago. I basically used a threaded rod with some washers and took my time. Knocking the old ones out was fairly easy since their is a relief in the frame to help knock them out. I found that using a small nut driver was perfect since it got a decent purchase on the bearing.