Quantcast

James Brown

Chimp
Nov 28, 2012
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/8940245/[/URL]I'm a bit late to the party, but just built this up. It feels a little short being a medium and I'm 6'. Im more used to a 63 degree HA, so I have just slackened it out and moved the G3 from short to middle setting, hoping the extra length will feel nice.

I'll likely keep it in middle travel and progression settings, but I'll try the more linear progression at some point. I weight about 183Lbs and have a 400Lb spring.

After one very muddy ride, it is still silent. Shaved flip chips with teflon tape.

Edit: Hmm cant get picture to post, won't upload either, guessing new users need permission or something?

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/8940239/
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/8940245/

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Bump.

Still loving my M9, but I'm in the market for a spare shock. My CCDB coil has been good, but I'm wanting to try something new.

Has anyone here tried an Avalanche in theirs? I was thinking of calling them tomorrow to see if it's a good option or not. After some time and experience with my trail bike, I've realized a custom tuned shock really is good piece of mind for me, besides the notable ride improvements. (Push tuned Monarch on my Trance)

Opinions?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I've been on the phone with Craig about this lately and he did say the Woodie would fit. For me, it was between getting a Fox Van RC I had kicking around rebuilt by him (with the extended resevoir cap) or get a Woodie. He was pretty confident in his rebuild of the Van RC and told me to save the extra $300 or so dollars.

We never got to talking about if one of his shocks would be a good option or not. I'm assuming it would.

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I've been on the phone with Craig about this lately and he did say the Woodie would fit. For me, it was between getting a Fox Van RC I had kicking around rebuilt by him (with the extended resevoir cap) or get a Woodie. He was pretty confident in his rebuild of the Van RC and told me to save the extra $300 or dollars.

We never got to talking about if one of his shocks would be a good option or not. I'm assuming it would.
Good to know.

What's funny about your post, is I didn't even know he was doing anything to Fox shocks. That website really makes you hunt for stuff...

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
I have run the CCDB, the Vivid Coil and the RC4 on my M9s.

CCDB actually felt the worst. I could never get it to be compliant over high speed chatter without it wallowing through the rest of the travel. No matter what I did, I could never get it to feel right. Felt OK on race courses, but bike parks were awful. High-speed fire roads, and trails like A-Line were terrible. Bike felt like it was rattling to pieces over any amount of braking bumps.

Vivid felt much better, but bottomed a little too easy.

RC4 has been the "goldie locks" of the bunch. Supple over small bumps high speed chatter, yet can add lsc to keep it from bobbing. Feels great when it gets towards the end of the travel. 10/10, would ride again.

Orangesicle

Chimp
Feb 16, 2011
Interesting.
My last M9 was the bomb with the CCDB.
All about the lo speed rebound and lots of it.
Never felt shaken apart and never ever noticed braking bumps.
Awesome in tech and steep.
Hard to make it jump right/hop on lower speed stuff though, which I didn't notice until I got on the V10.

And had soo much neutral time in the air on A line it was sick.
You get to find out how far around on your whips it'll go until you freek and pull it back.
Just aim at the chatter/braking bumps in the berms and lay it over. Stiction.

tidan

Chimp
Oct 29, 2003
San Diego
Anyone have any setup tips to get the back end to break loose a little sooner than the front on the M9 for drifting turns?
At limits of traction the front on mine often times slides first and too much forcing me to dab a foot or tap the rear brake.

tidan

Chimp
Oct 29, 2003
San Diego
Haha...spoken with Kovarik before about it.
I have tried leaning forward and back, but staying centered seems to reduce it. I tend to ride forward in turns anyways.
Tried the different tire combos similar to what you are running.
What shock and fork settings are you using?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Last season I had an Avalanche tuned Fox Van with the recommended settings from Craig and up front I had a 888 with Avy cartridge. If anything I found the front end felt like it couldn't keep up with the rear in a straight line but that's a spring rate issue and maybe high speed. Never had an issue with cornering from what I remembered. I ran the longest dropout setting, 9.5" setting, and medium progression.

tidan

Chimp
Oct 29, 2003
San Diego
Interesting. I run a 400lb spring on the CCDB, 72psi in the Dorado.
Have experimented with medium and long chainstay setting mixed with stock 64 head angle and full slack 62.5 head angle.
Currently I have it set full long, with the 62.5 HA.
Been trying higher and lower bar setup but at the end of the day it seems either will wash the front out in different sections of the trail.

What are your guys damping setting?

tidan

Chimp
Oct 29, 2003
San Diego
Haven't tried the shortest setting on the chainstay. Logically it seems that running it shorter would put more weight on the rear and make the front wash even more?!?

SCARY

Not long enough
Haven't tried the shortest setting on the chainstay. Logically it seems that running it shorter would put more weight on the rear and make the front wash even more?!?
Just imagine a 3 foot swingarm.Thats not gonna be easier to slide around

This isn't really the type of bike that wants to slide very easily.Isnt designed to stay hooked up.

I would reassess you cornering technique first.
All we have is loose dust over hardpack and I can't remember the last time I lost the front on this bike.It used to happen alot when I first started out and on different bikes

tidan

Chimp
Oct 29, 2003
San Diego
Just imagine a 3 foot swingarm.Thats not gonna be easier to slide around

This isn't really the type of bike that wants to slide very easily.Isnt designed to stay hooked up.

I would reassess you cornering technique first.
All we have is loose dust over hardpack and I can't remember the last time I lost the front on this bike.It used to happen alot when I first started out and on different bikes
Anything regarding your technique that you think may attribute to yours not washing?

SCARY

Not long enough
Well, there's tons of info out there on cornering.But for me, personally, it was looking through corners having my eyes up, not using the front brake at all in the corner (light trail braking is I useful if needed) and learning how fast I can hit a corne without brakes having done the braking before the turn.

That last one took me a while.

tidan

Chimp
Oct 29, 2003
San Diego
Well, there's tons of info out there on cornering.But for me, personally, it was looking through corners having my eyes up, not using the front brake at all in the corner (light trail braking is I useful if needed) and learning how fast I can hit a corne without brakes having done the braking before the turn.

That last one took me a while.
Those techniques are great reminders...but I too have done that for many years in addition to various other 'tricks' to keep the front planted. I guess its possible I'm slipping a bit on looking thru the turn as I haven't ridden much in the last couple years.
I'm really not sure if its technique or setup. how many clicks are you running your dampers?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I can't comment on the Dorado settings but I'm thinking that's where to start. Sounds like the frame is doing what it's supposed to be doing.

SCARY

Not long enough
Those techniques are great reminders...but I too have done that for many years in addition to various other 'tricks' to keep the front planted. I guess its possible I'm slipping a bit on looking thru the turn as I haven't ridden much in the last couple years.
I'm really not sure if its technique or setup. how many clicks are you running your dampers?
I don't really know.Till it feels slightly uncomfortable, then ride harder.
I know my Dorado is at 90 psi and the db air is at 155.But I'm 200lbs.
i do know the slacker it is the more the front wants to push.

SAB

Chimp
Oct 4, 2016
Fellow M-Niner's...

Can some of you have a look at your shock from the rear of the bike and confirm if this alignment is normal?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

SAB

Chimp
Oct 4, 2016
Thank you for the replies gentlemen. I sent some pictures over to Intense and had a nice chat with Chad. He confirmed that it is out of alignment and not how it came from the factory. Oh well. The hunt continues.