Quantcast

MAC HELP w/ b&w G3

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
A friend gave me a b&w G3 but i have no video. I can hear the welcome sound but just no vid. I am a PC guy and need help.

Do reg PCI vid cards work in this machine?
This machine was set up for video editing and has a second video card but I get nothing from either one.

would this be a motherboard problem or video card problem? Is it worth trying to fix?
PLEASE HELP
Also any body have any experience with the Apple Newton. My friend gave me the M2000 and its the best PDA ever.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i am very envious of your m2000. i really wanted a m2100 a year or two back, went as far as looking up drivers for wifi cards and such... ah.

but about the blue and white, pci video cards should work, but they do need drivers. so search for drivers first, then buy a card as appropriate. any mainstream ati or nvidia should do the trick since macs have been speced with those for many years now.

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
I do have some pci cards that would fit but still no video. Would I get video at all with any card?

Also will vice versa work? Can I take the ATI Rage 128 thats in the b&w and try it in a PC?

Also there is one 32bit PCI slot is that the only slot a vid card can go in? Or can the vid card be in any of them?

Is this machine worth taking somewhere that has extra mac parts to get it diagnosed?

I love my m2000. Only had it for a day but I can already tell its better than any other pda that I have ever used.

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
yea the video card SHOULD work. most of the ATI cards, and some of the nvidea ones will work. there are only a few mac specific ones, and some of the newer 256MB cards won't work in a mac, well at least until they make drivers for them.

does the HD sound like its spinning up and accessing info, even though there is no video?

try to reset the PMU (look for info on apple's boards for it. its a little red button on the motherboard, usually near the battery. only HIT IT ONCE though.

another thing to try is to try another monitor too. I've had monitors just stop working, or maybe someone changes the resolution settings to something incompatible..

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yeah, as MBC said, the video cards should work. however, you'll have to have the proper drivers in place first! how to manage that with a computer with broken video is left as an exercise for the reader

(hint: start up off of the system cd, perhaps. hit C at startup)

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
Originally posted by Toshi
yeah, as MBC said, the video cards should work. however, you'll have to have the proper drivers in place first! how to manage that with a computer with broken video is left as an exercise for the reader

(hint: start up off of the system cd, perhaps. hit C at startup)
actually, you have to hold the C key down until it actually starts up, or at least shows the Welcome to Macintosh screen...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by MtnBikerNJ
actually, you have to hold the C key down until it actually starts up, or at least shows the Welcome to Macintosh screen...
okok :D

sorry for mis-citing you as MBC btw. heh. NJ != Chick