Quantcast

magazines? which one do you guys read if any at all?

sethius

Chimp
Jan 19, 2009
Hey lads,

Just a quick question, out of the all the USA magazines, which one are you dirt jumpers reading the most, if at all.

Decline, dirt, flow? or something completely different?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
DECLINE did not used to cover the dirt jump scene very well, but they've gotten a lot better.

The thing is, mtb-DJ culture/bikes are in some ways much closer to BMX. Especially as far as covering areas of the country that are not close to mountains. Slopestyle and the explosion of mountain 'park' riding has helped the crossover scene between old school rugged-DH trails/racing with more bmx style jumping, flow trails, etc.

Many BMX'ers continue to be oblivious to DJ/DH scene (I say this as a former bmx'er and friend of many). DIG BMX magazine is openly hostile to coverage of anything that doesn't involve 20" wheels. That doesn't make it a bad magazine--it's still great--but sometimes, it's disappointing that while the mtb/bmx world crosses over a lot in real life at the trails, as far as magazines go, they're extremely separate. But, Plussizebmx.com is a great website as far as supporting the crossover; and of course the forums here, and on pinkbike are good too.

Last edited:

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
DECLINE did not used to cover the dirt jump scene very well, but they've gotten a lot better.

The thing is, mtb-DJ culture/bikes are in some ways much closer to BMX. Especially as far as covering areas of the country that are not close to mountains. Slopestyle and the explosion of mountain 'park' riding has helped the crossover scene between old school rugged-DH trails/racing with more bmx style jumping, flow trails, etc.

Many BMX'ers continue to be oblivious to DJ/DH scene (I say this as a former bmx'er and friend of many). DIG BMX magazine is openly hostile to coverage of anything that doesn't involve 20" wheels. That doesn't make it a bad magazine--it's still great--but sometimes, it's disappointing that while the mtb/bmx world crosses over a lot in real life at the trails, as far as magazines go, they're extremely separate. But, Plussizebmx.com is a great website as far as supporting the crossover; and of course the forums here, and on pinkbike are good too.
Dig owns. it's better theyre true to what it's supposed to be about. I wouldn't expect bmx coverage from decline either. that reminds me I need to renew my dig subscription.

the reasons for lack of crossover are many. there's a lot of aspects of the whole sport of mountain biking that are turnoffs for people deeply involved in bmx. like brakes and helmets :p

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Dig owns. it's better theyre true to what it's supposed to be about. I wouldn't expect bmx coverage from decline either. that reminds me I need to renew my dig subscription.

the reasons for lack of crossover are many. there's a lot of aspects of the whole sport of mountain biking that are turnoffs for people deeply involved in bmx. like brakes and helmets :p
and to be honest, and this isn't a diss against freestyle / dj MTB, BMX is leagues ahead of mtb in terms of progression.