Quantcast

Make fun if kidwoo's brain thread, but start with shifting

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've got a veritable museum of old bike shit sitting in my garage. A friend is looking for an 8sp grip shifter. I have a lifetime supply of old scram gripshift 9sp shifters. The 9 on the graphics is all highlighted and stands out like it knows something I don't. I remember thumbshifters and then 11sp no front derailleur. Nothing in between. I count my concussions on two hands and sometimes a foot if I'm honest.

Is the indexing different between 8 and 9 speed stuff? Or was it 7 to 8 that it changed and 8 to 9 was the same index but with a different cassette body?

Also......free 9sp grip shifters..........just throwing it out there...........

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I think 7sp was where the freehub body itself was narrower. Indexing between 8 and 9 is different, but I would presume indexing is the same between 7 and 8.

But then again, I'm no Sheldon Brown

BTW, nice memory, old balls!

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
7 speed cassette bodies were indeed nice n short AS THEY STILL FUCKING SHOULD BE!!!
Indexing (Cassette sprocket spacing) is very slightly different between 7 and 8 and 9
7 & 8 speed indexing is so close loads of folk just kept using their 7 speed thumbies when 8 speed cassettes turned up. Shimano 7 speed thumbies handily had a weird extra click for some unexplained reason.
Probably Adventure.

No thanks to your Gripshift

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
*blank stare, blinking*

Is that code for something? On the surface it innocently enough looks like you asked me for a road bike part.

But what does it MEAN!!???
Mission accomplished. :D

Only saw them once in real life, mounted on a Special-Ed turbo, the dentists retirement bike of choice.

But have to admit I quite like dual thing on my road bike.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
*blank stare, blinking*

Is that code for something? On the surface it innocently enough looks like you asked me for a road bike part.

But what does it MEAN!!???
They kinda look like normal mountain bike shifters, but they only have the one big thumb paddle. If you push it in a little ways, it releases cable. If you push it in farther, it pulls.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah I don't really care about any of that stuff.

I'm trying to figure out why someone asked me if I had a part made for a bike, specifically designed for riding on car trails.............

Like I said, it must be code for something because that shit makes zero sense.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Now that we have shifting out of the way, can I make fun if your grammar instead if your brain? I guess I would still be making fun if your brain as it is directly responsible for said grammar.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I'm trying to figure out why someone asked me if I had a part made for a bike, specifically designed for riding on car trails.............

Like I said, it must be code for something because that shit makes zero sense.
That person thought you had a fetish for looking at lyrca clad rear ends of men for hours while pedaling your a** off and inhaling exhaust fumes. If I were you I would be starting to get worried about my image. But then, you are the guy that celebrates no pants day. :D

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
I'll donate a SRAM Rocket and Attack shimano compatible grip shifter just because 'Woo is still banging here after all these years..