Quantcast

"make my day law" for small business

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
our local lawmakers are taking up debate on expanding the right to use deadly force for small businesses. the argument being, businesses have the right to defend themselves with deadly force from a position of just being on the clock (or some such silliness). all it takes is refusal to leave once asked, and BOOYAH! no soup for you!

opponents claim this is too "wild west" for us, and that blood will flow like fetal blood from the planned parenthood swails.

proponents claim this won't happen, pointing to existing make-my-day law (of 22 years) hasn't yet resulted similarly (yet they claim this is necessary due to 2 - yes two - homicides at businesses).

full story here

discourse.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
our local lawmakers are taking up debate on expanding the right to use deadly force for small businesses. the argument being, businesses have the right to defend themselves with deadly force from a position of just being on the clock (or some such silliness). all it takes is refusal to leave once asked, and BOOYAH! no soup for you!
opponents claim this is too "wild west" for us, and that blood will flow like fetal blood from the planned parenthood swails.

proponents claim this won't happen, pointing to existing make-my-day law (of 22 years) hasn't yet resulted similarly (yet they claim this is necessary due to 2 - yes two - homicides at businesses).

full story here

discourse.
From the bills' laguage:

*snip*...Notwithstanding the provisions of section 18-1-704, any occupant of a dwelling, PLACE OF BUSINESS, OR VEHICLE is justified in using any degree of physical force, including deadly physical force, against another person when that other person has made an unlawful entry into the dwelling, PLACE OF BUSINESS....*snip*

Sounds kinda like the home invasion but for businesses...Obviously, lapses in judgement of the employee/owner will be in the mix but I can't see this being any different than a home owner shooting a burgler...

I suppose it could be looked at like the bold in your statement...but I guess my rose colored glasses are getting in the way...:monkeydance:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I prefer the good old days of a length of chain and a baseball bat.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
glad to see i'm not the only monkey to have seen west side story at least a dozen times.

would this law, if passed, extend to delivery people & cabbies? hmmm...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i hope i had a law like that.
i get all this protesters from the "red motherland" party (thats the actual name of that political prty) shouting crap, and taking naps and leaving trash INSIDE my outer garden, as it was a public park.... but i can do nothing about it.

i wish i could lay landmines and C&C-red alert style tesla coils on my garden, grab a chair and watch the hilarity ensue.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
i hope i had a law like that.
i get all this protesters from the "red motherland" party (thats the actual name of that political prty) shouting crap, and taking naps and leaving trash INSIDE my outer garden, as it was a public park.... but i can do nothing about it.

i wish i could lay landmines and C&C-red alert style tesla coils on my garden, grab a chair and watch the hilarity ensue.
wwhhhhiiiRRRRR----ZZZZZAAAAPPPPP!!!!