Quantcast

making new friends on Facebook!

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I'm making 2 new friends! Wonder what they'll think when they find out I'm a bike rider!

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Oh please make this the most epic thing you've ever done on the Monkey. Maybe organize a faux lunching of some road bikers, which turns out to be a cock slapping and mac and cheese festival!??!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I just want to say that the mobile Facebook app is the worst piece of turd on the electronics planet.
It becomes passable on the iPhone 4s (new to me) but it BLEW on my Droid.

I will also admit that I had some cyclist frustration yesterday while driving. Two commuters were on a road that is plenty wide for a single bike and a car. However, they were not riding single-file, but side by side, thus causing a back-up in rush hour traffic on a fairly busy street. Last time I checked, etiquette dictates single-file on the street. Is this not correct?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Share the road, assh@le!

Oh wait...

<edit> I don't mind the droid app. I don't go on the PC at home much and FB is blocked at work. So it's mobile or whenever I get to it.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I want to run over a cyclist every day I have to drive to work....there is a guy who rides a recumbent on this crazy twisty road enroute to my work. No flag, no lights, no nothing. Traffic backs up behind him for a mile or more because like most recumbents he cant hold a line and wiggles all over the place. I dont want to hurt him...just bump him off the road, wreck his silly "bike", make sure he is okay and move on...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
It becomes passable on the iPhone 4s (new to me) but it BLEW on my Droid.

I will also admit that I had some cyclist frustration yesterday while driving. Two commuters were on a road that is plenty wide for a single bike and a car. However, they were not riding single-file, but side by side, thus causing a back-up in rush hour traffic on a fairly busy street. Last time I checked, etiquette dictates single-file on the street. Is this not correct?
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245316&p=3690679&viewfull=1#post3690679

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I want to run over a cyclist every day I have to drive to work....there is a guy who rides a recumbent on this crazy twisty road enroute to my work. No flag, no lights, no nothing. Traffic backs up behind him for a mile or more because like most recumbents he cant hold a line and wiggles all over the place. I dont want to hurt him...just bump him off the road, wreck his silly "bike", make sure he is okay and move on...
My daughter gets road rage when we are on our Saturday drive in the countryside and there are roadies riding 5 wide and often take up MORE than the entire lane. If they are riding 2 wide, maybe a tight 3 and it's clear to pass, then no issue. But when they want to have a group conversation, she gets a tad pissy.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Two by is legal in MA, and acceptable in other states like NY provided you go single file to allow traffic to pass.

I looked up state laws when DownhillMike and other placidites took a giant **** all over roadies on his facebook account. Dumb ****ers. I hope their personal hell is having to ride a tricycle in rush hour traffic, where only soccer moms talking on their cell phones driving escalades are on the road.

Heh... one of my defensive moves in traffic, seldom used: Some idiot in a motor vehicle is pressing you - break into a massive I'm-about-to-fall-over wobble...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Two by is legal in MA, and acceptable in other states like NY provided you go single file to allow traffic to pass.

I looked up state laws when DownhillMike and other placidites took a giant **** all over roadies on his facebook account. Dumb ****ers. I hope their personal hell is having to ride a tricycle in rush hour traffic, where only soccer moms talking on their cell phones driving escalades are on the road.

In some states (pretty sure NY is one of them), if there is more than a single lane of traffic each direction, groups of 3 (i think) cyclists are allowed to use an entire lane.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Allowed or not, riding side by side in traffic does not gain us any credibility. It may be legal, but it's impolite.
I have to agree. The lines are pretty blurry regarding when it's legal and when it's not. I don't have any friends so it's not a problem, but I'd rather be safe and ride single file than ride paired up and make myself an obstacle.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I have to agree. The lines are pretty blurry regarding when it's legal and when it's not. I don't have any friends so it's not a problem, but I'd rather be safe and ride single file than ride paired up and make myself an obstacle.
It's another reason why I'm thankful for WI's "narrow lane" laws, and my ability to ride in the center of the lane when there's not room for both a car and a bike:

WiscoDOT said:
Narrow lanes
Ride in the center of the lane.
Keep at least three feet between yourself and passing or parked traffic.

Wide lanes
Ride just to the right of the actual traffic line, not alongside the curb.
Keep at least three feet between yourself and the curb or from parked vehicles. Motorists should be passing you with at least 3 feet of clearance.
3' + handlebar width (2') + 3' + 6' (average car's width) = 14'. Anything narrower than that (usually roads without a shoulder or bike lane) and a cyclist is legally able to take up the full lane. My wife and I only do it on roads that are 2 lanes in each direction and have a 35mph speed limit as a courtesy to motorists, but every time I go out all I can think of is "don't you motorists wish I had a bike lane to ride in?"

Besides, after dark two riders are a heck of a lot more visible than one riding along the side of the road...

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
My daughter gets road rage when we are on our Saturday drive in the countryside and there are roadies riding 5 wide and often take up MORE than the entire lane. If they are riding 2 wide, maybe a tight 3 and it's clear to pass, then no issue. But when they want to have a group conversation, she gets a tad pissy.

Exactly, why would you want a 4000lb vehicle on your rear end? What if you have to swerve or some idiot in the group ride takes you out? You are going to be a flat Stanley. Let em pass and everyone is happy.