Quantcast

Man arrested in death of JonBenet Ramsey

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I bet this sicko (what was a second grade teacher doing in Thailand?) is innocent....

Man arrested in death of JonBenet Ramsey

By CATHERINE TSAI, Associated Press Writer 8 minutes ago

A man suspected in the slaying of 6-year-old beauty queen JonBenet Ramsey nearly a decade ago was arrested Wednesday in Thailand, the district attorney said.

District Attorney Mary Lacey said the arrest followed several months of work. She disclosed no details about the suspect before a news conference scheduled for Thursday.

Federal officials familiar with the case, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the man was already being held in Bangkok on unrelated sex charges. CBS reported that the suspect, a 41-year-old second-grade teacher, will be brought back to the United States this weekend.

Ramsey family attorney Lin Wood said in Atlanta that he has been told that the suspect once lived in Conyers, Ga., outside of Atlanta. He would not comment on whether the Ramseys knew him, and he said he knew nothing else about the man.

Lin said the Ramseys learned about the suspect a least a month before JonBenet's mother, Patsy Ramsey, died in June.

"It's been a very long 10 years, and I'm just sorry Patsy isn't here for me to hug her neck," Wood said.

The girl was found beaten and strangled in the basement of the family's home in Boulder on Dec. 26, 1996.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was right, btw.

As for the new evidence clearing the family, it is hard to believe after one of the worse crime-scene, allowing the family to go root around before the investigators arrived, that there is clear proof that the family didn't do it.

I believe the Boulder authorities just want this whole thing to go away, or at least blame some faceless person.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Who the **** cares?

It's one missing child that, judging by everything we obsessively know about her, was going to lead a thoroughly ****ed up life anyway.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Who the **** cares?

It's one missing child that, judging by everything we obsessively know about her, was going to lead a thoroughly ****ed up life anyway.
She'd probably be pretty hot right now.

Edit: If only they'd buried her in Wisconsin :disgust:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Who the **** cares?

It is one dead child.

That's why we should care.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There's lots more of them around.

We don't give a **** about a couple hundred thousand dead Iraqi kids...I'm not losing any sleep over a dead Barbie dall from a dysfunctional rich white family...
:stupid:

As f@cked up as that sounds, I actually have to agree.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Do me a favor, don't make prove what a callous bunch of aholes you are.

If you don't care, don't write anything.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Do me a favor, don't make prove what a callous bunch of aholes you are.

If you don't care, don't write anything.
I care that we care.

Yes, it is very sad that this little girl died. But there are dozens of kids just like her that die similarly horrible deaths every year in this country and hundreds that go missing (not to mention Silver's point). All of them are similarly deserving of note, and none of them get it. The reason the public cares about JBR is NOT because she was a sweet innocent little girl that never deserved any of this, but because we're filled with shadenfraude at the thought of this rich family being torn apart and we're perversely obsessed with the disturbing sexualization of these little girls. You may be genuine in your sympathy for her, but perpetuating this media scrutiny is just advancing the disease our country seems to be suffering from.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
I was right, btw.

As for the new evidence clearing the family, it is hard to believe after one of the worse crime-scene, allowing the family to go root around before the investigators arrived, that there is clear proof that the family didn't do it.

I believe the Boulder authorities just want this whole thing to go away, or at least blame some faceless person.
they already have screwed a few people; a good family friend was the first to arrive on the scene when the girl was reported missing, and she received the boot from the police force almost immediately. a handful of others have received the same treatment...it's a bit of a shame.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
There's lots more of them around.

We don't give a **** about a couple hundred thousand dead Iraqi kids...I'm not losing any sleep over a dead Barbie dall from a dysfunctional rich white family...
first it was 100K civilians killed, and now it's 200K civilian KIDS? we've been busier than i thought.

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
I'm glad they caught the ****er. I no more happy than I am when they catch any other adult that tortures and kills little kids. I am not any less sad than I am when any other kid is killed or tortured by some sick ****.

I think that was the point Sanjuro was trying to make.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I'm glad they caught the ****er. I no more happy than I am when they catch any other adult that tortures and kills little kids. I am not any less sad than I am when any other kid is killed or tortured by some sick ****.
What emotion will you be feeling when you realize the killer has NOT been caught.
A little combo of anger.......embarassment.......shame.....
What color does that combo make on a mood ring?;)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Her death was a horrible thing but in the big picture the money spent on solving and reporting the case could have fed and put 100 other kids through college. If she was from the ghetto there would have been little more than a report on the local news and a closed case a week later. In the end I care as much about the dead rich girl as a dead ghetto kit, it churns my stomach either way.

But in the line of Silver's post I have to feel worse about people killed in my name. At least then I have a rather fractional ability to do something about it.

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
first it was 100K civilians killed, and now it's 200K civilian KIDS? we've been busier than i thought.
Well, the Lancet study came out a couple of years ago, and said about 600,000 excess deaths were caused by the invasion. Taking into account Iraq's demographics, which skew younger than the USA's do, it's a reasonable ballpark guess.

Of course, if you want to go by Iraq Body Count's numbers, it only be approximately 40,000 dead kids. If that's your argument, you've already lost, however...

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
Well, the Lancet study came out a couple of years ago, and said about 600,000 excess deaths were caused by the invasion. Taking into account Iraq's demographics, which skew younger than the USA's do, it's a reasonable ballpark guess.

Of course, if you want to go by Iraq Body Count's numbers, it only be approximately 40,000 dead kids. If that's your argument, you've already lost, however...
That study counts in the effects of hospitals being bombed so people can't get medical attention, so it is the true casualties of war, not just those that were shot up.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
That study counts in the effects of hospitals being bombed so people can't get medical attention, so it is the true casualties of war, not just those that were shot up.
I know, that's why I mentioned excess deaths.

Now, I suppose $tinkle will argue that just because we invaded and bombed all the infrastructure, that doesn't make us responsible for deaths caused indirectly by that...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
no it doesn't. i'm looking at this, btw.

can we get back to dead white chics, please? i just love the way foxnews (oh yes i did!) has some forensics guy on in the a.m. getting chubbed up over giving lurid details of "dna collected from her panties". asshole.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I know, that's why I mentioned excess deaths.

Now, I suppose $tinkle will argue that just because we invaded and bombed all the infrastructure, that doesn't make us responsible for deaths caused indirectly by that...
not my fault they were too stupid *not* to make their infrastructure out of the same stuff from which they make mosques

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
i just love the way foxnews (oh yes i did!) has some forensics guy on in the a.m. getting chubbed up over giving lurid details of "dna collected from her panties". asshole.
Odd, considering how you'd normally think a Republican would be excited about collecting DNA from a pair of these.