Quantcast

Man did 2 cops just F with me

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
If I were running drugs, I would be as clean cut as possible, and ensure that my vehicle (Whatever it was...) was in good working order and I obeyed all traffic laws. The man would never catch me....moooohahahahahahahaaaa!!!!!

For the record, as some of you may know, I am a military cop. I also did 4 years as a civilian copper...

Where is Manimal???

Gawd, don't you know anything about criminals?

Bike lights make you visible.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
Well duhh...hide in plain sight...may even dress as a Mormon missionary...
Jehovah's Witnesses would make awesome drug dealers. Clean cut, wearing a suit and carrying a breifcase while walking through the neighborhood. Perfect cover

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Terry allows for a "quick frisk," not to be cuffed and breathlysed. Unless montashu smelled of liquor, they had absolutely no right to breathalyse because they had no “specific and articulable facts.”

I'd personally be on the phone with my local ACLU office.
wow, i love how everyone assumes that there was no dialog during this encounter. i can't begin to tell you how many times i make a field contact on a suspicious person and throw in a little phrase like this, "so...are you carrying any guns,knives,bazookas, grenades or illegal drugs?" "umm.no sir" "ok, do you mind if i SEARCH you right quick just to make sure, i mean...there have been times when i've forgotten to take my grenades off of my belt after a game of halo...ya know." "sure...you can search me, i ain't got no guns"
then, as i'm searching the dude and find the bag of dope in his pocket, because , he "ain't got no GUNS", the locals start coming out telling him that i have no right to search him. well...actually, he just forfeited his right to me by telling me it's ok to search him. i am not required, by ruling of the supreme court, to inform him that he may revoke the consent to search at any time.

so from my experience, when someone is searched, it's either because there is enough reasonable suspicion for a FRISK (no manipulation of clothing, only for weapons), there is probable cause for a search OR most often, consent to search was given by the individual to the officer.

so to clear things up, did the cops ask montashu if they could "search" him? the street breathalyzer is also a voluntary "search" that people rarely refuse when asked.

if these cops just randomly starting searching him and MAKING him blow into the tube i can see how it would be an issue but simply detaining someone (to keep them from making a quick getaway via bike) while they ascertain an identity is not unreasonable IMO, especially if they already had probable cause to stop him in the first place (stop sign)

i bet the same people screaming "call the ACLU" are the same ones who berate the police for not stopping the suspicious person in their neighborhood before their house was robbed :rolleyes:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
wow, i love how everyone assumes that there was no dialog during this encounter. i can't begin to tell you how many times i make a field contact on a suspicious person and throw in a little phrase like this, "so...are you carrying any guns,knives,bazookas, grenades or illegal drugs?" "umm.no sir" "ok, do you mind if i SEARCH you right quick just to make sure, i mean...there have been times when i've forgotten to take my grenades off of my belt after a game of halo...ya know." "sure...you can search me, i ain't got no guns"
then, as i'm searching the dude and find the bag of dope in his pocket, because , he "ain't got no GUNS", the locals start coming out telling him that i have no right to search him. well...actually, he just forfeited his right to me by telling me it's ok to search him. i am not required, by ruling of the supreme court, to inform him that he may revoke the consent to search at any time.

so from my experience, when someone is searched, it's either because there is enough reasonable suspicion for a FRISK (no manipulation of clothing, only for weapons), there is probable cause for a search OR most often, consent to search was given by the individual to the officer.

so to clear things up, did the cops ask montashu if they could "search" him? the street breathalyzer is also a voluntary "search" that people rarely refuse when asked.

if these cops just randomly starting searching him and MAKING him blow into the tube i can see how it would be an issue but simply detaining someone (to keep them from making a quick getaway via bike) while they ascertain an identity is not unreasonable IMO, especially if they already had probable cause to stop him in the first place (stop sign)

i bet the same people screaming "call the ACLU" are the same ones who berate the police for not stopping the suspicious person in their neighborhood before their house was robbed :rolleyes:
While I hate defending TheMontashu, since I am hoping he will find true love in prison, I am not sure how riding a bicycle at night makes you a suspicious person.

He was wearing a helmet and had lights on. Now I know this is the burbs but this is NorCal, where there are thousands of bike commuters.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
While I hate defending TheMontashu, since I am hoping he will find true love in prison, I am not sure how riding a bicycle at night makes you a suspicious person.

He was wearing a helmet and had lights on. Now I know this is the burbs but this is NorCal, where there are thousands of bike commuters.
he wasn't suspicious...he was stopped because he ran the stop sign, the lack of ID coupled with the time of day/night makes it "suspicious"

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
he wasn't suspicious...he was stopped because he ran the stop sign, the lack of ID coupled with the time of day/night makes it "suspicious"
I missed that detail. They should have tazered him then put on the rubber gloves for a cavity search.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
And because they most likely had nothing better to do.(depending on location of course) Couldn't they at least catch someone speeding or something? But of course they have to meet their quota, it is almost the end of the month...:dead:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
And because they most likely had nothing better to do.(depending on location of course) Couldn't they at least catch someone speeding or something? But of course they have to meet their quota, it is almost the end of the month...:dead:

i love that line, i used to use it all the time......when i was 18 :rolleyes: people who think that we "have nothing better to do" because we're not out there catching "speeders" have no idea what really goes down on the streets which is only because those of us who have nothing better to do keep the reality of the streets away from your doorstep.

by the way, "quotas" are illegal in most states. "he was just getting his quota" is a line used by people guilty of (insert traffic infraction) trying to rationalize and minimize their actions by placing blame elsewhere instead of acting like a responsible adult and admitting, "yup..i did it, and i got caught."
:nopity: :banghead:

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
So what happens when someone refuses? I somehow doubt that refusing the request would prevent the search from happening...

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw

If he gave up his rights, than it's a completely different story, and he's an idiot.

But, OMG DUDE ran stop sign, lets search him, breathlyse him, cuff him, and put him in a cop car seems a bit overboard. Especially if they had absolutely no reason too, which they didn't unless there's something we don't know about.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Many years ago a NY state trooper asked me if he could search my car. I said no. When he asked me why not I told him it was my first opportunity to use the Fourth Amendment and I wasn't going to just throw it away. Not to mention I had a back seat full of clean and folded clothes. As a college student that was a rare thing and I didn't think the Trooper was going to fold my skivvies when he was done looking through them. He laughed and let me go with warning for speeding.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
So what happens when someone refuses? I somehow doubt that refusing the request would prevent the search from happening...
um, if they like having a job they won't search him/her. i'm sorry but there isn't a charge worth me losing my job over and the folks i work with feel the same way. it's all a game and there are rules...we are the only ones who are required to abide by them but we still do. there are dirty cops out there who probably would violate someone's rights by searching anyway but that is why there are things like the exclusionary rule to protect citizens if/when their rights are violated during the course of the investigation. i don't know any of my coworkers who want case law named after them because they didn't play by the rules.

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
Wow. That escalated quickly. I mean, that really got out of hand fast.

Are we seriously saying that it's impossible that he was a criminal because he was wearing a bike helmet?

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
um, if they like having a job they won't search him/her. i'm sorry but there isn't a charge worth me losing my job over and the folks i work with feel the same way. it's all a game and there are rules...we are the only ones who are required to abide by them but we still do. there are dirty cops out there who probably would violate someone's rights by searching anyway but that is why there are things like the exclusionary rule to protect citizens if/when their rights are violated during the course of the investigation. i don't know any of my coworkers who want case law named after them because they didn't play by the rules.
Just as you believe that it is not worth losing your job over, on the other side of the fence, there are times when it is not worth fighting over NOT being searched.

While I never have anything to hide, I would probably give consent verbally than force a warrant simply because I don't want to hang around for an hour while the wheels of justice creak one out.

Obviously there are times when this can border on "unreasonable" but for me, a quick look is easier than being a jerk. It probably all comes down to how much free time you have at the time.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
While I never have anything to hide, I would probably give consent verbally than force a warrant simply because I don't want to hang around for an hour while the wheels of justice creak one out.
i'm glad you mentioned that because it raises a good fundamental aspect of law enforcement. if there was a way we could single out criminals by some neato futuristic device, we would. but we can't so we have to be suspicious of everyone in the interest of public safety. sometimes, innocent people are caught up in that suspicion and it does make them feel rather uncomfortable....but remember, if we didn't have these stops and processes, the real bad guys would have less resistance to do their deeds. most people that complain about the inconvenience of an investigative stop aren't really looking at the big picture.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Many years ago a NY state trooper asked me if he could search my car. I said no. When he asked me why not I told him it was my first opportunity to use the Fourth Amendment and I wasn't going to just throw it away. Not to mention I had a back seat full of clean and folded clothes. As a college student that was a rare thing and I didn't think the Trooper was going to fold my skivvies when he was done looking through them. He laughed and let me go with warning for speeding.
Wow. You totally rock. :cheers:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA

Serious question here:

Let's say that you signed a contract that had some fine print legalese you didn't fully understand. The rest of it looked kosher so you signed anyways.

Turns out you get screwed over.

You're not angry at all, right? After all, you signed the contract, and someone smarter than you managed to conceal the fact that they were trying to screw you.

(After all, you've just told us that playing the game to the letter of the law, and not the spirit of it is acceptable to you. I wonder if Jesus ever said anything about that. Lucky for you, I don't know anything about the Bible, so I can't tell you if he did or not...)

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
there are dirty cops out there who probably would violate someone's rights by searching anyway but that is why there are things like the exclusionary rule to protect citizens if/when their rights are violated during the course of the investigation.
I have witnessed many cops on power trips. A cop was detaining my friend for skateboarding on the sidewalk, asks to see his ID and when he reaches for his pocket to get it he gets pushed into a wall and cuffed. He was charged with resisting, and although he didn't resist he couldn't fight it in court because a judge would have no reason to believe the officer had done anything wrong. Another friend of mine was offered drugs by a cop before to snitch. I understand that most cops probably do their job how they should and are given the trust they deserve, but the few that slip through the cracks are horrible.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
There are scumbags in every job...why should Police be any different? They pull from the same talent pool as other jobs.

A guy I went to the Academy with is now looking at jail time for whipping three guys (Along with two other off duty cops) in a bar, then using his badge and telling responding patrols that he had it all under control...dirtbag.

The _____ (Insert random job title here.) that slip through any cracks are terrible. Given the trust that cops are given, we should stand above all others. It was quite a rude awakening for me when I realized that not all of us are "perfect"...