Quantcast

Manning's treatment is outrageous

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
they dont send you to club-fed before your trial. putting him under the "poi" watch could also be their way of fvcking with him
I do wonder on what grounds or evidence they put him on POI watch?

The guards are required to check on PFC Manning every five minutes by asking him if he is okay. PFC Manning is required to respond in some affirmative manner. At night, if the guards cannot see PFC Manning clearly, because he has a blanket over his head or is curled up towards the wall, they will wake him in order to ensure he is okay.
This would drive me nuts........ Sleep Deprivation, isn't that one of Cheney's Guantanamo tactics?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I do wonder on what grounds or evidence they put him on POI watch?

This would drive me nuts........ Sleep Deprivation, isn't that one of Cheney's Guantanamo tactics?
it would drive me nuts too, but im sure they have their "reasons"

Asked every 5min if he's ok, not allowed to sleep between 5am and 8pm, and not allowed to exercise in the cell? Yeah, show me where that occurs in the ordinary penal system outside of our military....
ask any C.O. or anyone that has been to prison before. it happens ALL the time when someone is on suicide watch.
my neighbor is a sergeant at a state prison in NJ and he confirmed this as well.

Which of course adheres to the strict 'fvcking with the citizen' clause of our penal system, so deftly drafted by our forefathers.
not saying its right at all, just that it happens all the time

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
He's not an ordinary citizen subject to ordinary laws nor a n ordinary judicial system.

His day is easier than some days on deployment, he gets TV and a shower and no one is trying to kill him

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
He's not an ordinary citizen subject to ordinary laws nor a n ordinary judicial system.

His day is easier than some days on deployment, he gets TV and a shower and no one is trying to kill him
i like your original comment moar better.

you should have left it :(

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
No need throwing rocks at Silver...like wrestling with a pig. We both get dirty and the pig likes it.
i didnt see it as a jab at him, just a realization and truth behind what he is going through isnt anything out of norm and because of what he did, he is in this position.
military treason is grounds for execution, no?

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
i didnt see it as a jab at him, just a realization and truth behind what he is going through isn't anything out of norm and because of what he did, he is in this position.
military treason is grounds for execution, no?
Yeah, like I said in the original, if you haven't been in the military, you don't know the insight. If he did kill himself or try to and injured himself, there would be either a tin foil thread here about the government assassinating him, or a thread screaming about how the military failed to protect him.

He took the oath, was explained the rules about opsec and the consequences of failing to adhere to it. Now, if he's such a bad ass to be treasonous, be prepared for the blow back.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
barry's also....if that rest and recreation mecca is still in business.

i never knew staying awake between 5:00am-8:00pm was torture......kids anyone.

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
He took the oath, was explained the rules about opsec and the consequences of failing to adhere to it. Now, if he's such a bad ass to be treasonous, be prepared for the blow back.
I read several items about this guy over the last 2 days and have to agree - the unifrom code ofj ustice is what it is.

I am not alarmed by his treatment nor am I emotionally influenced by his lawyer's representation of the facts.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Nuthing like bit of the old "Guilty until proven guilty" :thumb:
means you can act in any petty vindictive way you feel like.
In our military justice system, you are pretty much guilty until proven guilty. It's a known fact, admitted by Manning, that he gave classified documents away. Under the UCMJ, that's a crime.

And who are you saying is being vindictive? Me or the US Government?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The article is somewhat ambiguous on this and implies, but doesn't outright state, that they wake him every 5 minutes at night. If they're doing normal POI/suicide watch, the intent is not sleep deprivation, and he's not awoken if they can observe he's OK. If they are indeed waking him every 5 minutes around the clock, that's not humane treatment for anyone.

Nothing else they describe is inappropriate, unusual, or unfair for pre-trial detention of a serious felon under solitary confinement, and the US government takes protection of classified information very, very seriously.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Under criminal law, does the government need to rationalize/prove a need for suicide watch or can they just elect it arbitrarily? I would assume without a history of depression or previous suicide attempts, some kind of expert needs to identify the accused as a suicide risk.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ohio, in the military, it's generally up to a unit (in this case, brig) commander to implement suicide watch. (AFAIK) The commander has a massive amount of personal, unilateral authority that's got no parallel in civilian life (or criminal justice).

I only dealt with suicide watch as a member of a combat unit, though, not in the military penal system. It was often implemented during a hospital stay, obviously so if they were in the hospital for a suicide attempt.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Yeah, like I said in the original, if you haven't been in the military, you don't know the insight. If he did kill himself or try to and injured himself, there would be either a tin foil thread here about the government assassinating him, or a thread screaming about how the military failed to protect him.

:thumb:

i think people forget that, by signing a military contract, you forfeit certain rights. having served as an intel analyst myself, and seeing the type of info that is out there, i personally have no sympathy for a treasonous soldier.
he is NOT just a citizen of the US, he is a SOLDIER with access to CLASSIFIED INFORMATION and there is probable cause to believe that he leaked info, ie: probable cause (or more in this case) to believe that he committed treason during a time of war; an offense punishable by death.

i'm sure he'd much rather be in a cell on suicide watch than sitting on a secluded OP actually doing the job of those he may have put in jeopardy.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Look at all the cute law and order types now that it's a scrub.

Y'all would have been chanting "USA USA" at the World Series this year when a bonafide war criminal threw out the first pitch though...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yeah, show me where that occurs in the ordinary penal system outside of our military....
It doesn't.

Had he not signed up and taken an oath, this would not be an issue. He can be treated a lot worse legally as he is and was still an active member when he did whatever they decide to charge him with.

The military doesn't follow the same rights when it comes to doing time.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Look at all the cute law and order types now that it's a scrub.

Y'all would have been chanting "USA USA" at the World Series this year when a bonafide war criminal threw out the first pitch though...
Uh, every time GWB appeared on camera during the WS, everyone I watched the games with boo'ed more than loudly than at every Ranger combined.

You can't be surprised that the people in power have layers of legal protection while a PFC has none.

However, we all have ethical, moral, and legal choices we have to make.

In the case of Manning, he might have objected to the Afghanistan War like I do. However, he also put on the uniform of our country's military, and he made a decision to break the law and betray his fellow soldiers.

As a data clerk, was he given an illegal and/or immoral order that he needed to steal classified information in a pre-mediated fashion?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I think the persecution of Assange is outrageous.
He simply distributed information.

Manning committed the crime here.
Not feeling the outrage.

Seeing how the backwater MTB rider caught helo'ing weed into the states killed himself, for an offense he could've likely ratted himself out of, keeping Manning on harm watch seems reasonable.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
and thats not illegal??
That is right.

Assange, an Australian citizen, published US classified information. There are no laws about that.

Assange is also a journalist, who has a much different standard for revealing secrets than a military clerk. He is also protected by the First Amendment and many other legal precedent, including the Pentagon Papers.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
and thats not illegal??
I don't know, is it?

He didn't have access to the info.
He didn't take the info himself.
He simply published info provided to him.

How is what he did any different than Autoblog putting unreleased car photos/information on it's site?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I don't know, is it?

He didn't have access to the info.
He didn't take the info himself.
He simply published info provided to him.

How is what he did any different than Autoblog putting unreleased car photos/information on it's site?
its a lot different. if those car are in public, its fair game.

publishing stolen secret government information kinda sounds illegal to me...i could be wrong though. :rolleyes:

that guy who started napster didnt actually steal the music. he just provided a program that could let other people steal it. is that illegal?