Quantcast

Manual Chainsaws

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Anyone used one? Do they work? They look like a nice option for an easily carried saw for clearing smaller downage while riding, at least if they don't suck.

Like so:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Do you mean that they get damaged while in use, or just while storing them?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
If you're rollin with a pack, look no further than Silky Saws. They make a wide variety of folding saws that cut on the pull stroke and are extremely sharp. I have a BigBoy and it's blade is 14", weighs a pound and can easily fit in my pack. I can cut logs up to 8" with it no problem.

http://www.silkysaws.com/Silky_Saws/Folding-Straight_2

Amazon usually has the best prices on Silky, which can fluctuate wildly. One day the Katanaboy was $168, then $99 a few days later.

Last edited:

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
The chain saw I had came in a tin. Real piece of shit. Avoid. I have a heavy brushing axe made by Sandvik that is easily packed and makes short work of smaller stuff.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I don't post here much, but...

Yeah on the Silky saws. They work beautifully.

Accept no substitutes!

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I'll 3rd or 4th the recommendation for Silky saws. They're really slim and pack well. I carry a Gomboy in my pack on a regular basis and forget it's even there.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Anyone used one? Do they work? They look like a nice option for an easily carried saw for clearing smaller downage while riding, at least if they don't suck.
Yes and yes. I have this one. It does work okay but is best with 2 people. Doing it yourself is difficult as you have to keep the handles spread apart to avoid pinching the chain. But with 2 people it is fast and easy for medium size stuff. Less than 4" diameter you are better off with a folding saw, greater than 12" break out a powered chainsaw.

I use this guy below for 80% of clearing projects, followed by a folding saw and then the hand chain saw. But I carry the hand chain saw with me more often because of how small and light it is.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
A 6" dia. 25' long maple fell across the trail. I proceeded it and was back on the bike in 26 minutes.

How long does it take to haul a chainsaw, gas, and safety gear to the location ? Probably a lot longer than 26 minutes.

I can be done before you get there. Carry lite tools and work fast. It's a gnome thing.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
A 6" dia. 25' long maple fell across the trail. I proceeded it and was back on the bike in 26 minutes.

How long does it take to haul a chainsaw, gas, and safety gear to the location ? Probably a lot longer than 26 minutes.

I can be done before you get there. Carry lite tools and work fast. It's a gnome thing.
Exactly. Chainsaws are awesome if you're building a new trail or there's a huge section of blowdown, but there are a ton of cases where one tree goes down across an existing trail, where it'll take hours to walk out there with one. I'm looking for something small and light that I can carry on the bike with me to deal with that kind of stuff. Right tool for the job and all that.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Exactly. Chainsaws are awesome if you're building a new trail or there's a huge section of blowdown, but there are a ton of cases where one tree goes down across an existing trail, where it'll take hours to walk out there with one. I'm looking for something small and light that I can carry on the bike with me to deal with that kind of stuff. Right tool for the job and all that.
Then a Silky straight blade, folding saw is what you're after. They make plenty of sizes to choose from. It's what I use to maintain two trail systems.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA

I agree and I qualified my chainsaw use with "greater than 12" diameter". For 6" stuff I would also use a folding saw, unless I am already out hiking with the chainsaw. But the park I maintain is urban and not that large so any fallen tree is usually accessible with a 15 minute hike max. Also bringing gas, what is this the stone age? That sucker is electric.

I'm looking for something small and light that I can carry on the bike with me to deal with that kind of stuff. Right tool for the job and all that.
If it's just you, then I second the larger folding saw recommendation. The manual chainsaw is not very efficient and can be frustrating to use by yourself.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I use this guy below for 80% of clearing projects, followed by a folding saw and then the hand chain saw. But I carry the hand chain saw with me more often because of how small and light it is.

I've got one of those as well, in addition to an 18" bar gas machine.

Not near as powerful, but significantly quieter. An important feature depending on where you are working. Sort of an in-between of the gas machine and the Silky. Not really using it to build new, but it's nice to be able to get it into places for storm clean up.

Bonus: uses the same big battery packs as my lawnmower, so I can have a couple charged up to pack along.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How are you guys attaching the Silkys or Bahcos to your packs?

It also looks like the teeth on the Silky are still exposed in the folded position. I guess I could make a quick fabric sheath for it, which could have some loops to strap to my hydration pack. I'm guessing the 14" one would not fit inside.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I'm going to buck the silky trend, spring on the east coast I was generally carrying one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bahco-LapLander-Folding-Saw-Made-in-Sweden-Part-396-LAP-/310846336263?hash=item485fe2ad07:g:KaEAAOxytdlRAt~Q

That vs. a Silky though seems to be a potato - potahto kind of thing.

But yeah, I generally just carry the small one with me in early spring, or riding post-storm.

Amazing how quickly you can get through some fairly large downed bits with them.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The Bahco is small, just tucked into an outside pocket on my very small camelback or would easily fit inside a bigger pack - no exposed teeth on it.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006

It also looks like the teeth on the Silky are still exposed in the folded position. I guess I could make a quick fabric sheath for it, which could have some loops to strap to my hydration pack. I'm guessing the 14" one would not fit inside.
Silky makes both straight and curved folding saws. I went with straight because of exposed teeth on the curved ones. Also straight blades are better for cutting logs close to the ground.

A Tomson seat post bag fits the Bigboy nicely. It just drops nicely into my Pisgah pack and barely in the everyday pack.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Silky makes both straight and curved folding saws. I went with straight because of exposed teeth on the curved ones. Also straight blades are better for cutting logs close to the ground.

A Tomson seat post bag fits the Bigboy nicely. It just drops nicely into my Pisgah pack and barely in the everyday pack.
So when yours is folded, the teeth aren't exposed?

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
1170710833696.jpg
I just have to say that in, well, many years of riding these accursed boneshaking instruments of the Dark One I have never truly needed a saw on the trail..Wanted one a few times in my darker days, sure...needed one? Notsomuch. I am clearly doing something wrong here...now this, I both want and need.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Just ordered a Silky gomboy to replace my last folding saw (snapped the blade). Cyclone Debbie made a bloody mess of my local trails so will be putting it to the test as soon as it arrives.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The weight is a bit of a killer for taking with you on the bike, but I've found a cordless electric sabre (reciprocating type) saw is a handy bit of kit for trail work or maintenance. The blades are much more tolerant of dirt and sand than chainsaw blades and you can carry a couple of different types for cutting other materials (metal and whatnot)