Quantcast

Marginal DH

Forecaster

Chimp
Dec 20, 2004
Seattle
We have been working on the West Seattle DH this winter. I have been riding it several times a week and working on it. It has 400 feet vertical and half a mile long. Can do it in 4 to 5 minutes. Can be shuttled on paved road or you can hike back up on the Jeep road.
Could really use some help in labor. Can be contacted through our email. (marginaltrail@yahoo.com). We have a website and a few pics. (geocities.com/marginaltrail) Check in. Park at the ballfields up top. Must be careful to nieghborhood and to environmentalists who are planting trees in hillside.

Forecaster

Chimp
Dec 20, 2004
Seattle
Will try Tuesday after work late in afternoon. Go to geocities.com/marginaltrail for directions. Top is at Holly and 12th SW near SSCC. Bottom is at Subway sandwich shop near Marginal Way.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
how did you get "the authorities" to sign off on this? awsome trail, will come hit it up for sure and help build if somebody has tools there.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I've been meaning to go down there lately. Will have to for sure to see how things are shaping up. Went there a couple years back, but it was oh-so-sloppy...not much fun to ride, really. With a lot of hard work, it definitely has potential for some serious goodness.

Forecaster

Chimp
Dec 20, 2004
Seattle
3 years ago the city came in, looked at the trails and ok'd them when the ballfields were rebuilt. There has been some redirection to ward off erosion. I do build on Saturdays.

Forecaster

Chimp
Dec 20, 2004
Seattle
tree planters said we can use the bark chips up the road to cover the slippery clay areas. Need 2 days without rain to ride it safely.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Bark chips are bad. They just rot and make it just as slippery. Try to find some 5/8ths crushed around and pack that into it for traction. Just don't fall on it!

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
Forecaster said:
3 years ago the city came in, looked at the trails and ok'd them when the ballfields were rebuilt. There has been some redirection to ward off erosion. I do build on Saturdays.
Nice!!! I'd go down there if I weren't going to be out of town this saturday. Any restrictions on stunts/trail expansion?

jumping_jesus

Monkey
Jan 23, 2006
in your mind
the trail is pretty cool needs some love the stunt need some love too the last one needs to have the bridge boards redone but a pretty cool trail none the less hair ball steeps in some sections could use a bern at the bottom of the first steep section but has alot of potential. can you build other lines off of that one or others in general?

Forecaster

Chimp
Dec 20, 2004
Seattle
The first steep is on the agenda. Needs several post holes dug and some 6 foot poles dropped in and then berm it. Right now it is a difficult right hander. Crushed rock would be great. Can anyone get some? Anyone have an atv to haul with?

Forecaster

Chimp
Dec 20, 2004
Seattle
The stunt at the bottom never was completed 2 years ago. It is part of our work to be done. There will be a bridge between launch and tranny so lesser skilled riders can attempt it. All jumps need to be doable by by more than just the best riders. The bridge under construction at the road will have a ladder to the top where you can either launch or ride the simple ladder down over the creek. No big doubles on this DH.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Do you have permision from the city to build there then? I would be into building if it wasent going to get torn down.

maniak10

Chimp
May 2, 2006
I heard that the city has given ppl permission to build a mountain bike trail here. To what extent the trail can be buillt is being looked into.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
maniak10 said:
I heard that the city has given ppl permission to build a mountain bike trail here. To what extent the trail can be buillt is being looked into.
Definitely look into that with the city. As long as we have case proof stunts (think Whistler) the city should be all right. We'll just make sure you can role it with training wheels, then the city will approve 4 sure :rolleyes:

Forecaster

Chimp
Dec 20, 2004
Seattle
That's exactly the model. Whistler. All stunts should be safe for almost everyone. No big dbls. Should be tabled. We MUST get along with the tree planters and the bird watchers. They also have projects all over the hill. There are tags on the new trees. Don't want build right in their space.

Forecaster

Chimp
Dec 20, 2004
Seattle
Remember to park in the lot up top next to the kid's play area and then ride your bikes North a couple hundred yards to the start between the Jersey barriers. On the bottom I park in the gravel lot near the bottom of Marginal Way. I will probably work there tomorrow around 4:30. I think I will work on the bridge near the bottom parking lot just up the road from there.

maniak10

Chimp
May 2, 2006
Back from oregon trip - this is where we should look for tips on how to build this trail; they really have it down. i will make it out there tomorrow to build and ride. Looks like there are some ppl interested in building/digging out here. This will make putting the finishing touches on this trial go a lot quicker so we can begin a new line and have a quality local ride.

Forecaster

Chimp
Dec 20, 2004
Seattle
Thank you. I have built almost the whole trail myself this Winter. One other guy joined in a couple of weeks ago. I keep all the necessary tools in my Trooper including chainsaw. I got obsessed with building and didn't ride but I broke my ankle in December. Cost of going out of town this year is a lot higher so we just need a local DH. But let's try to keep it discreet. Be kind to the neighborhood.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Forecaster said:
Thank you. I have built almost the whole trail myself this Winter. One other guy joined in a couple of weeks ago. I keep all the necessary tools in my Trooper including chainsaw. I got obsessed with building and didn't ride but I broke my ankle in December. Cost of going out of town this year is a lot higher so we just need a local DH. But let's try to keep it discreet. Be kind to the neighborhood.
Is this Dennis? If so, how the hell have you been (aside from breaking your ankle...bummer)?

I'm currently off Friday and Saturday so I'll have to buzz by there one of those days.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Congrats, the trail looks like it has a lot of potential. Pretty smooth and not that techical, but seems like you can carry some good speed for a fun quick ride.

Jun 18, 2004
Looks cool... I gave up on that place 2 Falls back... so many leaves covering the trail I couldn't follow it... nice work guys... post when there's a work party and I'll do my best to show up.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
Forecaster said:
Bricks? I'm not sure if the tree people would go for that. Where were you thinking of using them?
where ever mabey after that first kicker into a berm w/ bricks building up the berm, or sorta how whistler did it and put bricks in the berms so they dont get torn up and you can rail them faster.

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
bikerpunk98199 said:
where ever mabey after that first kicker into a berm w/ bricks building up the berm, or sorta how whistler did it and put bricks in the berms so they dont get torn up and you can rail them faster.
yeah, thats a sweet idea, the lips at whistler are so much more consistant now withe the bricks, i don't know about the berms though.:think:

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
we parked just at the sign there or you could park at the park. you know the jump on aline where you transfer over and land on that rock face and then theres that berm there w/ the coble stone blocks in it? like that

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
I saw the tail end of the trail where it comes out a few weeks ago. I was told soon thereafter upon inquiry that the bird people got the builders kicked. I guess this proves otherwise(or it's proof enough for me). :D

Forecaster

Chimp
Dec 20, 2004
Seattle
I've been riding there quite a while with no problems. Just don't want to over build right now. Let's finish the existing line, finish the bridges, have fun with it and see if any resistance shows up.