Quantcast

Marginal DH

maniak10

Chimp
May 2, 2006
Put a burm at the bottom of the first drop in and filled in dirt over the very last drop in after our new bridge. The burm could use more dirt, but is rather big as it is.

A big thanks go out to Casey and Mike for helping me build today.

see u guys out there tomorrow

maniak10

Chimp
May 2, 2006
I'm headed out there after work around 4:30 or so for sure. Paul said he was gonna join me too. I want to get a run or two in and finish the burm. we could also finish the final ladder or fill in the 2nd burm.

cm16white

Monkey
Apr 16, 2006
shoreline
i went out tonight had a great time very nice trail we helped out on the berm but yah could still use some work would love to go out again but i have school thurs nights i think the more people ride the better broke in it will get but what a fun trail good job

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
went out and checked the trail on tuesday and i must say that it is one of the most fun local trails around, definitely has a lot of potential as a riding area!

Forecaster

Chimp
Dec 20, 2004
Seattle
Burm at bottom of first steep is done. Log bridge by road is done. Now working on new ladder to log ride. Saturday would like to build the stepdown right after the log gap near bottom before the steep creek xing.

Forecaster

Chimp
Dec 20, 2004
Seattle
I'm probably going to start early Sat. morning 7ish. Will be uphill from the lower parking up from the new creek xing at the log ride. Work for a while and ride later.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Didn't get out there until mid/late afternoon on Sat. Things are definitely looking up out there...good work! I dug it pretty good on the quick steep near the top with the soft sand in the rollout. Good times!
I'm going to try to get down there this Friday to explore some more.

maniak10

Chimp
May 2, 2006
went out today to break in the new preston and went over the handlebars on the first berm after going to fast down the hill. Luckily, i got pissed off enough to actually fix and make the berm big enough and in the right place. Next up, saturday morning, finish the final drop through the trees. Nails, drill, and logs all ready to go. Anyone up to build a jump too?

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
would if i could...I can't ride at all this weekend...put up picks of the redone trail because the ones on the website look terrible

maniak10

Chimp
May 2, 2006
those photos are old, i'll take the camera with me in the morning and put up some photos of the new stuff.

maniak10

Chimp
May 2, 2006
new pics up. www.geocities.com/marginaltrail - next up - finish final drop, build step up, finish step down, remove concrete block, fix S turns. phew...

also, scoped out new line w/4 drops & 3 really long log rides.

could use a chain saw this week as ours is unavailable this week.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Wow thats awsome!!! Right by my work. I am working 6 day weeks pretty solid (mon-sat) and a ton of OT so I can't always make it out on saturday. Are you ever building in afternoons or evenings? I have some portable powertools (sawzall, skillsaw, drill) that I could bring out sometime to help put stuff together if it would help.

maniak10

Chimp
May 2, 2006
Yes, we usually go out there at least once during the week around 4:30-6. Probably gonna be out there tuesday at 4:30 or so. And i've paid my mothers days dues for today, so i get to go out there now.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
As a resident of that neighborhood, let me say this....if there are a TON of riders sitting around the trailhead, the locals will complain to the city and the trail will get the big ole' axe.

Quite a few have started looking suspiciously at the various cars parked at the trailhead, the big bikes going into the woods...

Basically what I am saying..don't turn this into what is happening on fromme. As long as people play nice with the neighborhood residents, I don't see any reason why this can't work. Be respectful :)

Oh, and if all possible? Park in the lot on highland, less congestion at the tiny area where the trail starts.

thanks!
-sean

maniak10

Chimp
May 2, 2006
Good Point Sean!!! As stated before, you cannot park in front of the trail head. You must park in the parking lot of riverview park, just south of the trailhead on 12th. Then you can ride your bike the one block to the trailhead.

Also, the parkting lot on highland at the bottom of the trail down the service road is on the intersection of highland park and marginalway. This is where i park.

cm16white

Monkey
Apr 16, 2006
shoreline
went out tonight the tree planters where out there very nice group said they had liked what was done and would like to hook up with the builders to try and come up with some good erosion solutions i had a card but i think it was lost i took a couple hard crashes top berm was bad i just can't get it down faceplant on the log to the left even marked up my lid o well payin dues note to every one go around the gate on highland where there is a trail saw someone go on the other side and ride right through fresh planted trees or something

maniak10

Chimp
May 2, 2006
Finished the step down after the tree gap. Yahoo!! Now, tomorrow i shall see if it's to far off for the transition. 4:30 tomorrow, could use some help to finish a couple of things. I lost my saw and am in need of one to finish two spots on the trail.

btw, that top entrance is tough if you don't stay to the left from the very begining. I too have gone over the handle bars on that berm. You just have to know it's there and stay left and hit that berm hard b/c you're going fast. On the same subject, i will be moving the trail to accomadate an easier entrance.

BTW, please do not touch or run over the planted trees. The tree planting group & bird watching group are very supportive of what we're doing and we'd like to keep it that way. If you see a tree that is in the way of the trail, let us know via email marginaltrail@yahoo.com and we'll take care of it.

Dave_Schuldt

Monkey
Jun 13, 2004
Seattle
This is a cool deal. I have a few thouughts.
Some of you should show up for the invasive removal and tree planting work parties. It will show them that you care about the area and you can find out what those in charge are up to. Go to the comunity and park meetings, they will put you to sleep but it will be worth it in the long run. Don't build too much too fast or ride it too often. Take it slow and see how it goes down with the city. It would suck to see a bunch of hard work go to waste. Form some kind of a club; it's much easier for the city to deal with another oganization rather than a random colection of riders. A friend of mine has been working and riding some XC trails so I will come down soon and check it out. As far as work for me, I will stay with Colonade for now. Have fun!

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
good ideas....there should definitely be at least a small group of riders in charge of everything that goes on there. These people would have to apporve all building, etc. I know we don't really have this for sst but (Andy just can't be everywhere at once) like Dave said...it is easier for the cityt o deal with another organization. Plus, if th tree planters agree on standards and erosion prevension measures that would have to be passed for new construction to take place then they can't have double standards if they ask us to take something else (that sentance made sence to me when i started writing it but as i finished I lost my train of thought). But yeah, I agree with Dave, we should definitely put in our dues of BS to keep this trail open. It is a great place to ride in a very convenient area (for those of you who don't live way the heck up north).

thats my two sence anyway

maniak10

Chimp
May 2, 2006
Dave, thanks for the input, we'll have to attend some of those meetings. Funny thing is though, they're not exactly easy to find out about. Although the city at one point sanctioned this area for bike trails, it's hard to find out who we are supposed to talk with in order to get continued approval of anything new. We've left voice mails with no response as of yet. Hopefully we can get something going soon in order to give everyone some hope that a trail might actually stay open. If you have any contact info, please forward it to marginaltrail@yahoo.com

Now, on to whats important. the entrance is about 3/4 of the way finished. No more steep, knarly out of control entrance.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
Took my bmx down the trail last night to see how things were shaping up. Very very dry out there.

The onramp for the long logride and the a-frame out of the trail onto the exit fireroad are eye-sores! Once it gets wet out, those logs used for rungs will be like sheets of ice - not to mention the lifespan of such wood is not that impressive.

Would (wood. heh :) anyone be opposed to say, tearing them out and rebuilding them with 4x4s and 2x4s? I know a couple of people who would be willing to foot the bill for said reconstruction, but doing so without the approval of those responsible would be..well..irresponsible.

-sean

maniak10

Chimp
May 2, 2006
that would be awesome!! You're more than welcomed to add onto or rebuild anything out there. Especially if you're gonna make it better. Just don't tear something down w/o putting it back up of course.

i will be working on finishing the entrance today around 5 for an hour or so.

seand said:
Took my bmx down the trail last night to see how things were shaping up. Very very dry out there.

Would (wood. heh :) anyone be opposed to say, tearing them out and rebuilding them with 4x4s and 2x4s? I know a couple of people who would be willing to foot the bill for said reconstruction, but doing so without the approval of those responsible would be..well..irresponsible.

-sean
My girlfriend and I looked at that a couple of weeks ago and thought the same thing. There's also 2 bridges over the creek made the same way, one of which isn't even walkable. We assumed that they were using the logs to do this without spending much money. It looks like all of the bridges on the upper sections are made from 2x4s so I guess money may not be the reason. I may be able to get some 2x4s to donate if they're wanted. Just let me know. We live in W Seattle and are excited to have a DH trail for us to practice on that's so close.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Not to be the buzzkill here but I keep hearing about "approvals" and bike trails and okay with city parks, etc.

As with SST, is there actually anything in writing from a responsible party with authority to grant such permission?

I don't think anyone here wants to listen to the griping when "the man" comes in and shuts it down.... Who's doing the up-front leg work to assure that all the work you guys are doing will last?

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
From what I heard, 2 years ago, Alki Bike/Board (Stu) was scoping the area alongside the parks representative and the birdwatchers/botany reps from SSCC. Everyone was in agreement that biking can exist in the woods as long as it was not impacting the work of the botany students, didn't intefere with the birdwatchers, and stayed on an "intermediate rider" level - whatever that means.

I have been meaning to give the city's park/rec dept a ring and ask them for the official word and maybe get something in writing from them just to see what's what.

Maybe give Stu @ alki b/b a ring and see if he has any contact info to throw at you at the city to get the ball rolling faster?

borneo - good question :)

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
tadrscin - where in w.seattle are you? I am all of 5 blocks away from the trailhead, so I frequently ride my bmx down there :)

drop me a pm perhaps?

maniak10 -
I wanted to ask and make sure you guys had no problem with that as I know I would be choked if I tossed up an a-frame and saw someone destroying it one day without ever getting in touch with me about it first. Actually, there is a creek crossing (the bridge before the logride...its about 30yards up trail) that needs to be redone as well which we will gladly do for you too.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Thanks Seand. I have my own places out here in the boonies to ride the "bigger" bike and some of us know what's happened to the local shuttle spot out here already.

We got to remember that some parks guy saying, "That would be cool...." isn't a formal ok to build what ever you want.

Just don't want everyone jumping on the bandwagon with half the information.

I personally will probably never ride it as it's just too far away for week nights and not worth it for the preceious weekend days. So, pursuing it further personally isn't worth it. But, for those whom it is, getting together, even over a beer and pizza and getting everything on the table would be way more beneficial than just hauling wood out one day and building....

Just my 2 cents (been burned before...)

maniak10

Chimp
May 2, 2006
We are trying to get in touch with the proper individuals, but it is easier said than done. It would be nice to get something like this approved in writing, but i'm not sure that is realistic. But since this would be my first experience with something of this nature, we'll have to wait and see. And i'm always up for brainstorming over a nice cold brew-ha.

And i agree about that last bridge, it needs to be replaced at some point. it doesnt pose an immediate concern, but in a few years time it may rot away.