Quantcast

Marginal DH

seand said:
tadrscin - where in w.seattle are you? I am all of 5 blocks away from the trailhead, so I frequently ride my bmx down there :)

drop me a pm perhaps?
We're a few blocks South of Alki Bike on California. We're gonna try and get over there tomorrow as we've never checked it out from the top where it seems most of the trail is. We couldn't see a way across the creek where the steep drop is so that's as far as we went from the bottom.

maniak10

Chimp
May 2, 2006
worked on the step up after the step down/tree gap today, it's money. As for the tree gap that we re-did yesterday, it needs a touch up. The gap is to far for the transition. It takes to much speed to clear it to where you can't make the burm to the step down. gonna have to fix it and make it a bit smoother.

And the new entrance is almost complete, no more of this knarly steep entrance.

maniak10

Chimp
May 2, 2006
btw, can someone else try the new tree gap and let me know what they think, maybe i didnt hit it right.

cm16white

Monkey
Apr 16, 2006
shoreline
i think we should run a ladder out off of the take off of the tree gap and turn it into a bridge to a little drop, but to make it so you can clear the whole bridge i think we can just move the landing back a couple of feet or extend the take off either way, if i don't go to pa would love to come out and spend some time this weekend

Forecaster

Chimp
Dec 20, 2004
Seattle
First, nice work on the improvements!

the first steep has been replaced by a less steep roundabout to the big berm. Good route, less erosion, better flow. It is not complete I see. Anyone could finish it. Only shovel and rake work.

next improvement I saw is the tree gap. Nice. Still want to bridge it or table. Better riders can still clear it while less skilled riders can improve their abilities.

after the tree gap berm is a rebuilt step down. About 6-7 foot drop to a bit of a downhill leading to the new step up. Step down looks good. Landing may be sketchy? Also a granny ladder needed.

Didn't look any farther today. Maintanence is needed from top. Vines are covering many areas already. Simple whacking will do here.

Someone mentioned the tree people and our helping them. I have their phone number. I will call her and offer some help in the near future. I think this is a responsable way to demonstrate our intensions in the green belt. Will post when a date a number of workers is confirmed. Any volunteers?

Again, parking is an issue. Plenty of it. I think we should spread out a little so as not to attract too much attention.

That's my input. Any more ideas?

Forecaster

Chimp
Dec 20, 2004
Seattle
city officials have been in the trail system 2-3 weeks ago and all looks good! They inspected all as far as I know.
Too much rain right now for work or ride. This trail is too slippery until it dries for at least two days.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I walked the trail yesterday. Something needs to be done about the clay. It is very unrideable as it is.
Also, someone rode thier moto down the trail and broke several of the bridges. They would have broken anyways under bikes after a couple of months. They should be rebuilt MUCH burlier.

I'm looking forward to riding it in the dry.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
the trail is NOT a wet weather trail. nothing can be done about the clay as it is EVERYWHERE. Of course, the entire trail could be rocked in, but that is a TON of work...

today we rebuilt the bridge that crosses the small creek (the one before the logride). It was unrideable and sketch (lots of broken rungs and a cracked stringer). Nobody took any pics as it was POURING out all day, but it is done

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
it was not motos that did that damage. there were zero dirtbike tires anywhere on the trail. the measured hole was that of a front wheel, and there was a bodyprint below where the rider ate it after breaking through the bridge. happens...

we have been out there fairly regularly and never have we seen or heard anything motorized.

anywho. the new bridge had to have some soil rework after it to flow up the hill better and since it was beyond saturated out there, the soil will need time to settle/pack correctly. anyone who rides may have a tire sink while the soil is soaked. just a warning :)

maniak10

Chimp
May 2, 2006
pretty sure that hole was made by someones foot and not someones front tire. gonna be out there tomorrow afternoon to work on the entrance.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
hmmm, a foot could have done that...was a surprise to come around the corner and see a HUGE gaping hole in the bridge. we wanted to work elsewhere in the rain, but ehhhh that bridge needed replacing asap.

the body print on the side of the bridge was hilarious to see though :)

maniak10

Chimp
May 2, 2006
you know about "whitewater"? you must be old!!! btw, added two more things yesterday after you left.

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
If someone went through that bridge just after that super steep I would be surprised if there wasn't bits of bone and teeth left in the trail. That would be the endo of the century.

P.S. I'm thinking of heading out there tomorrow after work if anyone is interested. Probably be there around 6:30 ish. I'll bring the camera for all you lens hogs!

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
Bullitrider said:
If someone went through that bridge just after that super steep I would be surprised if there wasn't bits of bone and teeth left in the trail. That would be the endo of the century.

P.S. I'm thinking of heading out there tomorrow after work if anyone is interested. Probably be there around 6:30 ish. I'll bring the camera for all you lens hogs!

not that bridge...but the one after it.

bibs - no pics as it was POURING out when we were there. i may walk down there tonight or tomorrow and snap a few shots if someone else doesnt beat me to it.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Forecaster said:
Ya know, I have a bunch of shots of the trail but I don't know how to load them up to the forum. Any help out there?
photobucket is what I use....there's a bunch of hosting sites out there that are free....just google 'free photo hosting' and I'm sure you'll come up with something....

With photobucket, it gives you the
links so you just copy from one window and paste into the ridemonkey reply....

cm16white

Monkey
Apr 16, 2006
shoreline
i was out there tonight for the first time in a while it was great a little slick due to the recent rain but way to go everybody the new entrance is great, i like all the work in that first section before the trail crossing it flows together very nicely the hip at the bottom of the steep sandy section is soft on the landing but okay i'm sure it will pack in, i think the ladder from the step down might be to steep to hit with speed but not bad (guess i need to jump it ) the step up is fun so ne ways had a lot of funn and again great job on all the additions i will be back out mon evening if all goes as planned

Forecaster

Chimp
Dec 20, 2004
Seattle
I had a meeting with the NatureC people last Saturday and again today. Pleased to say Mark and Nancy were extremely nice folks. Mark and I walked the course Saturday. He was pleased with the trail and the whole idea of mtb usage in there. Thoght the trails were well built. In the future, we are not to build any more in any of the wetland areas, such as the swamp where the uphill ladder is. Also be careful of the newly planted trees. They want to work with us as we would like to work with them. We can make this work, guys.
This is basically an invitation with some restrictions. The stunts must not be dangerous which means tables and ladders. We need to put up some signs. I will use a router and make some.
Mark is going to GPS our trails and put them on their website. They will include elevations and exact coordinates. He can include highlighted difficult areas. We may also include icons at various points which when clicked will open up a photo or a movie clip. Sound pretty good?
In return they would like to see us participate in their greenbelt work with a crew once a month or so. They are trying really hard to plant the hill with future "old growth" trees and remove the foliage that does not belong there.
How 'bout it?

cm16white

Monkey
Apr 16, 2006
shoreline
let me know when i will be there it is becoming a great place to ride evenings.we even shuttled it the other day got 5 or six runs ins in a couple of hours

Jun 18, 2004
Casey, let me know if you'll be riding up there this week... er early next week... I've got a shuttle truck and I'm itching to ride out there...

cm16white

Monkey
Apr 16, 2006
shoreline
i try to make it a point to go out weds right after work i get off at 430 so i'm usually there by five i will post something before i go next i might try and ride monday after work we'll see

Forecaster

Chimp
Dec 20, 2004
Seattle
Yes, yes. Still needs a couple of boards at the top, but easily rideable.
Yes, yes. Still needs a couple of boards at the top, but easily rideable.

cm16white

Monkey
Apr 16, 2006
shoreline
dropped a nother load of wood off tonight i am planning on going out around 1 tommorrow to work and ride so if anybody wants come out be my guest i will be in the ford ranger at the bottom hope to see you out there i think coty was planning on posting about suggestions to do with wood we walked the trail part way found a good spot for an a frame through some trees but if anybody has ideas throw em out there