Quantcast

marzocchi oil seals

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
I have a Z2 from a couple years ago that needs some new seals. someone at a shop said that you can get the seals seated in there without the "special" 50$ bomber tool but it's pretty tricky. seal kits are only 40$ but to get it done at the shop is 80 to 90$.

anyone attempted this before? I am probably selling the shock so I would like to learn something new and save 50$ in the process. that is as long as its not a huge headache...suggestions?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Its not tricky at all. But you do need to be carefull. I use an old Shimano bottom bracket as a setting tool. The drive side flange is the perfect size to presh in the seal. Lube it up with a grease like slick honey and drive it in. Make sure it goes in straight and that it doesn't get bent.

Storz

Chimp
Jan 28, 2002
Michigan
I rebuily my junior t last week and getting the seals in was not a problem, I am fortunate enough to work at a shop that has the seal press tool, the kinda tough part tho was getting the old seals out, a little help from a screwdriver and some swearing was all it took!

Wardy

Chimp
Nov 9, 2001
England
One thing to watch out for when putting in new seals is to slide the new seals on over the fork inner legs.
If you put the seals into the lowers and then put the fork legs in you can force the oil lip seals the wrong direction and they will leak nearly straight away.
A trick I use is to use one of the old seals as a guide on top of the new seal then I put a plastic pipe over the fork leg and knock the seal in.
I did my Z1 and it has been fine.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Nope. I've never been on the the mtbr board. Maybe there's another oldfart? But I've been using bb's to press in bearings since before I had a computer. I'm sure lots of people have figured out similar fixes.

Blanman

Chimp
Aug 29, 2001
Portland, Oregon
I have a 97 Z2 and have had to replace the seals several times.
When I bought the new seals I went down to the hardware
store and bought a large socket that fit just right on the seal.
I don't have it here with me so I can't tell you the size.
It works well. I just use a hammer and tap the new seal
into the fork legs. I haven't had a problem with them being
damaged from installation.
Good luck