Quantcast

Marzocchi with two disc mounts?

I've got a buddy with a Marz Z4 long travel fork that's about a 2000 or 1999 model and it has a disc brake mount on both legs. We have not been able to come up with a reasonable explanation and I thought someone out there might. The rest of the casting makes each leg side-specific, so they didn't do it to cut production cost. Any ideas?

R

RideMonkey

I have never seen one like that. Its likely a leg needed replacing at some point, and someone had a leg handy that had the mount, so they slapped it on. Just run both brakes up front! :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Even if you could find a hub with two disc mounts, how would you handle the lever situation? (No back brake?)

thatoneguy

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
N. California
There were a few Marzicchi's with the dual. I think it was a predacessor to the single sided. I believe you can also get the Maguras for the opposite side of the wheel...

G

gravity

well actually i have seen a home made setup like that..... a guy had machined a bolt-on mount for the right hand side of his fork ( a jr t i think, mighta been a super t) and had welded disc tabs to the right hand side of his front hub. i don't know exactly how he did this, but he had spaced out a hayes caliper from the right leg for the right-hand caliper, and was running a standard hayes on the left. the interesting part was how he'd rigged it up to a large capacity motorbike hydraulic lever, which he'd fastened to the handlebars (duh). this meant that he had two 8" discs on the front, giving absolutely tons of braking power. funny thing was that he was running vees on the back. apparently he couldn't afford a third disc!
i think it was on an intense uzzi......i'm not sure tho, it may have been something totally different. very interesting idea tho.

I have seen a picture in an old mountain bike action of a Z1 with two disk setup. it had a proper hub and everything. that guy with the home made setup is dumb. I would try to ask marzocchi who makes the hub and brakes.

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
my old Z1 Alloy (circa 99) had IS mounts on both sides. i don't think a 2-disc hub exists (although that would be bitch'n), but i really think it was for the old right-side discs... Sachs and so forth.

baldy

Chimp
Nov 20, 2001
I remember when I bought it and asked the guy at the LBS what the hell. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Why is there mounts on both legs?
LBS dude: Some people like to run two rotors.
Me: No ****? Who makes a hub for that? Who makes a split hydro brake line? Who the hell needs two 8" rotors up front on single crown, 80mm travel XC fork?
LBS dude: Our lycra shorts are on sale.

No kidding. I still have no idea why there are mounts on both legs.

A mate of mine used to have a bike set up with twin front discs.The company behind them was Cullymore Hydraulic Engineering from England.This would be about three or four years back.The brakes had a t-piece junction bolted to the fork crown so one lever opperated both discs.Quite a sweet sset up but I've never seen any since.Think the company went bust too.Wish I could remember what fork they were on,wasnt a Bomber thats for sure.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by Nobody
First Generation Z-series forks were expected to turn up on OEM bikes with Formula IS mount brakes. During the early discussion phase between Marzocchi Italy and Formula Italy (when and where the IS was born - their agreements created the 51mm etc mounting - just fyi) there was some open end assumption that the disks would be on one side or the other.

Other companies adopted, almost right away, a single side, left, IS mount.
Thanx for setting that straight! I just wish all manufacturers would settle on ONE fork mount and ONE frame mount!!! ex: a 8" rotor setup on a QR20 for hayes takes 2 adaptors!:rolleyes:

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Ive found the ad for the Twin Disk Breaks in Feb 97 Mountain Bike UK

the break was called Cully's DH Beast

Its setup on a Judy DH in the picture
the leaver and the hub have the same brand name i think
it has a CHE logo on it which stands for
Cullimore Hydrolic Engineering

I just realised looking at it that it desnt use disc mounts on the fork (defeating the purpose really of this discussion)
The callipers are mounted onto 2 special plastic disc mounts which appear to come with the brakes.
The callipers are also in front of the fork not behind like disc mounts are positioned now.

The hub is descirbes as "Fat Suspension Hub"
17mm Axle , 4 beraings, 36 hole
it uses QR dropouts

The y also say "
Twin Discs
for even spreading of forces
- better suspension
- better steering
- better fork life"

I agree with the "even spreading of forces"
dont know about the rest, i guess it didnt surive because of the extra weight and those discs and the mounts look very flimsy

Hmmmm intersesting

taylor

Chimp
Nov 28, 2001
Regina,Sask
Originally posted by bomberz1qr20

Thanx for setting that straight! I just wish all manufacturers would settle on ONE fork mount and ONE frame mount!!! ex: a 8" rotor setup on a QR20 for hayes takes 2 adaptors!:rolleyes:
I run a 8" hayes on my 01 Z3 qr20 with only one adapter.