Quantcast

Massive Earthquake

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'd assume it's a major highway into the region that needed to be fixed for support operation.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'd assume it's a major highway into the region that needed to be fixed for support operation.
Uh, maybe I'm missing something but I'm willing to bet all of Dagny Taggart's riches that the "before" photo is on the bottom.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
now THAT'S some efficiency. Hot damn. (granted it was only a 150meter section, but still)

PennDOT could learn something from these guys, huh Steve.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
now THAT'S some efficiency. Hot damn. (granted it was only a 150meter section, but still)

PennDOT could learn something from these guys, huh Steve.
PennDOT would have fixed the road but left the cones and construction zone signs so Troopers could bag speeders for double fines. I'm lying about the fixing the road part.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
PennDOT would have fixed the road but left the cones and construction zone signs so Troopers could bag speeders for double fines. I'm lying about the fixing the road part.
No, they couldn't fix that. When I was in high school, there was a big to-do because they paved over a dear carcass and there was a bump in the road.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
That is impressive. I've been on site for 3 months have we've only managed to build a bloody parking lot.

We need an earthquake to shut traffic down so we can actually get some work done. Of course, then it would probably rain...

God I hate this site.

memememememe!

EDIT: work site, not website... close one there...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hey VB, how you doing man? It's getting pretty pathetic that we're having to look anywhere but the front page of a paper or website over here to find info.

We've been seeing some things about contaminated tap water even in your neighborhood.

Now there's a breach in one of the reactors?

Last edited:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Hey VB, how you doing man? It's getting pretty pathetic that we're having to look anywhere but the front page of a paper or website over here to find info.

We've been seeing some things about contaminated tap water even in your neighborhood.

Now there's a breach in one of the reactors?
Thanks for your concern woo. We're still going along normally. Our infrastructure is completely different from Tokyo and points north. All our electricity, gas, water, food etc comes through, from or via different networks and methods of distribution so we're unaffected. The only thing I can think of that might affect us is a major volcano blow as they're often kicked off by big quakes but even that remains unlikely. They are hoping that west Japan (our area) will actually get a boost out of all this as companies look to relocate to perceived safer areas and local companies ramp up production to cover shortfalls elsewhere.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Glad you're good man. As soon as I heard about the earthquake, I thought "what about the monkeys from Japan?!?" :D

Whomever wrote those tags should be ashamed of themselves! Yo mama didn't raise you that way.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
It's getting pretty pathetic that we're having to look anywhere but the front page of a paper or website over here to find info.
?????
It's been on the front page of the NYT, in some form or another, every day since it happened with extensive coverage within the paper in both International and Business sections.

Today's front page has a pic of naked old dudes in a makeshift sauna at a shelter. NTTAWWT.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
wow. epic.
the water is just never ending. i can just imagine that seeming like the end of the world to the people on the roof.
and where was the guy on the loud speaker talking from??

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
wow. epic.
the water is just never ending. i can just imagine that seeming like the end of the world to the people on the roof.
and where was the guy on the loud speaker talking from??
Seeing that it's a miracle "only" 30,000 died. The guy on the loudspeaker is broadcasting from the town hall Rice. All neighbourhoods have loudspeakers so they can tell you, for example, when a giant wave is coming and you should run for the hills. The loudspeakers also do a great job of waking you up at 6.00am on a Sunday morning so some no life having muthafukka can blather on about some meaningless crap.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
if course theres conflict on accurate readings:
The apology came after employees fled the complex's Unit 2 reactor when a reading showed radiation levels had reached 10 million times higher than normal in the reactor's cooling system. Officials said they were so high that the worker taking the measurements had withdrawn before taking a second reading.
On Sunday night, though, plant operators said that while the water was contaminated with radiation, the extremely high reading was a mistake.
"The number is not credible," said Tokyo Electric Power Co. spokesman Takashi Kurita. "We are very sorry."
He said officials were taking another sample to get accurate levels, but did not know when the results would be announced.
The situation came as officials acknowledged there was radioactive water in all four of the Fukushima Dai-ichi complex's most troubled reactors, and as airborne radiation in Unit 2 measured 1,000 millisieverts per hour — four times the limit deemed safe by the government, Kurita said.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_bi_ge/as_japan_earthquake

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Japanese Official said:
On Sunday night, though, plant operators said that while the water was contaminated with radiation, the extremely high reading was a mistake. "The number is not credible," said Tokyo Electric Power Co. spokesman Takashi Kurita. "We are very sorry." He said officials were taking another sample to get accurate levels, but did not know when the results would be announced.
That's not a good sign... The numbers are too high to be credible, but they don't have any follow up yet that would discredit it.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Yeah that's one lucky pooch!
Not sure which bit had the lowest odds of success?
The Dog surviving
Dog being found
Owner surviving
Being reunited with the owner?