Quantcast

Mattress fun

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have a Costco/Novara memory foam mattress. I think it'll need replacing in a few years, but has lasted us 6 years or so so far. I dig it, especially as it was $450 when I bought it (Queen size). Wife digs it, too, but she says it's hotter than she'd like, which is a common complaint for memory foam in general.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i have a freebie sleep number bed with a slow leak....i think i'd rather sleep on a cot.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I have one of them Ikea latex mattresses and I am pretty happy with it, although it took them ages to get it shipped. Also, this slatted bed base is the shizzle. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80278715/
Me too. Got the natural latex one in King Size. Got natural latex because they are breathable (I'm a very very warm sleeper, I hate being warm and sweaty in bed), and last forever. I'm hoping it's the last mattress I ever buy. It is however very hard. I like it that way, but I had to buy my wife a memory foam mattress topper when she was pregnant caus' it was too hard and hurting her bones!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
We have a pocketed spring gimmicky sleep2live mattress and it's held up OK (~6years) but we're buying a new bedroom set so we may as well upgrade. It has two different densities for two different people but mostly it just sucks to sleep in the middle.

We're thinking about a latex mattress, but aren't sure of what's out there or if people hate them. I wanted a memory foam for the longest time but I'm concerned with hot sleeping and boom boom time.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I picked one up from the side of the road before the garbage truck picked it up. Smelled a bit funky but the price was right.

Highly recommended.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My lady has this gawd awful king size mush bed.I gave my daughter my awesome queen for her room. We will get a new bed eventually, one that is smaller and has support.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I have a Costco/Novara memory foam mattress. I think it'll need replacing in a few years, but has lasted us 6 years or so so far. I dig it, especially as it was $450 when I bought it (Queen size). Wife digs it, too, but she says it's hotter than she'd like, which is a common complaint for memory foam in general.
We almost went with one of these, but there was a "Mattress world" right next door, so we walked in and they had memory foam with more cooling GeLz than the Costco one, can't recall the price difference, but suffice it to say they cost the same amount. The extra cooling GelZ seems to make a difference, though I still get a little hot from time to time. I've noticed that if I sleep in pajama pants and a t-shirt I don't get as hot as if I sleep in just a pair of shorts.

Anyway, we've had it for a little over two years now and like Toshi, we really dig the memory foam. I also feel like it has very good anti squat properties and pedals very efficiently.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I wanted a memory foam for the longest time but I'm concerned with hot sleeping and boom boom time.
We don't have any boom boom time complaints with our mattress. Plenty of rebound and good small bump compliance. The compression tune seems to work well for our weight and riding style. wife 130lbs, me 175lbs. We both like to ride aggressively, not so much a plow style but more of a skip and pound.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
So the wife just bought us some bling bling matching memory foam pillows to go with our memory foam mattress.

My daily neck and shoulder pain is nearly gone after only 3 nights on the new pillows.

It also has not negatively affected boom boom time, but, the last thing you want to do is take a memory foam pillow to the kisser in a pillow fight with your wife, they have a certain mass behind them that regular pillows don't have.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hey i can update this now...

bought a mattress from spindle mattress co., which is right near us in Acton. They sell you a nearly 100% latex mattress, which is like 50% more latex than other latex branded mattresses. You put it together and then sleep on it, apparently.

It's been great so far, a little over a thousand bucks and it's got a 25 year warranty, and you can supposedly change out the firmness at any time. So I've got that going for me. Doesn't sleep hot and it's really comfortable, but a little firm for side sleeping.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
hey i can update this now...

bought a mattress from spindle mattress co., which is right near us in Acton. They sell you a nearly 100% latex mattress, which is like 50% more latex than other latex branded mattresses. You put it together and then sleep on it, apparently.

It's been great so far, a little over a thousand bucks and it's got a 25 year warranty, and you can supposedly change out the firmness at any time. So I've got that going for me. Doesn't sleep hot and it's really comfortable, but a little firm for side sleeping.
Apparently great minds do think alike, because I just bought one of those too after months of on and off research. I chose the Talalay option since they were offering it for a limited time. Putting it together was no big deal, but I dread having to move it as it's really heavy as one piece.

Which firmness level did you go with? I picked medium as I was worried soft would be too soft, but now I'm thinking I might want to change it to soft. As a mostly side sleeper, the medium is only slightly softer than the old mattress I replaced, and I still wake up with lower back soreness sometimes.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Apparently great minds do think alike, because I just bought one of those too after months of on and off research. I chose the Talalay option since they were offering it for a limited time. Putting it together was no big deal, but I dread having to move it as it's really heavy as one piece.

Which firmness level did you go with? I picked medium as I was worried soft would be too soft, but now I'm thinking I might want to change it to soft. As a mostly side sleeper, the medium is only slightly softer than the old mattress I replaced, and I still wake up with lower back soreness sometimes.
I went with firm. I'm a moderately heavy guy and my last mattress was 50/50 split between med and firm, and my wife and I both liked the firm better....but this firm is firmer than that firm. For 150 or whatever, it might be worth trying out a med. it does break in after a while, but not by a ton. I think the abscond used to be entirely talalay, but they switched up mfg or something recently. We tried laying on the med and firm in their store and both liked the firm...so who knows!

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
How long have you had yours? I've only had mine two weeks, will give it a month before possibly changing firmness. My GF likes it, but to me it isn't substantially better than the really old "plush firm" mattress I had before.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
We've had it about 2 or 3 months. I don't think it's an improvement in "comfort" like laying on a memory foam mattress for the first time. To me it feels like a regular mattress, which is a big plus. I think the bigger bonuses are from the longer life and the lower risk of imprinting on your mattress. Maybe I just need a softer one. It definitely feels pretty firm though.