Quantcast

mavic 823 vs 729

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Throw a go pro on your bike aimed at the stiffest wheel you could possibly build with straight gauge spokes.
Why use a GoPro? I am old school and used rim brakes when I learned to build wheels. :D

I've had a butted front wheel with straight gauge spokes on the back with the same rims on many many bikes. I always end up having to true the front way more frequently. That's not because I'm hitting it harder.
A truly scientific test. ;)

You yourself said they flex more. Why would it not follow that 32 of them flexing in conjunction allows a rim to deform to the point of bending the rim out of true easier?
Elastic vs plastic deformation ;)

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Do you guys build/true your own wheels? I'd like to learn, best resource/book/website to learn how to do it properly?

I have a spoke wrench, I've "trued" a wheel before, but I am sure the tension wasn't what it should have been and there was NO science behind what I did, it was pure trial, screw up, and error, finally got it a little better just ride it kinda deal......

thanks
I build and true my own wheels. Lately it seems that prebuilt wheels are cheaper than buying the components individually, so I sometimes buy them and check/re-true them.
I learned it from a really good wheel builder, but there are a couple of books out there too. http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html has some good info too.
I still think it is best if you find a good wheel builder that wants to share knowledge. Normally every good bike shop has a mechanic that is a fairly decent wheel builder. Cake/chocolate/beer/etc.... will convince him to let you in on the secrets. :D
But even with all these resources there is still a certain element of trial and error/experience involved in it. After some time you will get good at building wheels for yourself. And then there is the art of a really good pro wheel builder: they can understand from the descriptions of the customers what they need and how the wheel should be build and deliver something tailor made for the customer.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Do you guys build/true your own wheels? I'd like to learn, best resource/book/website to learn how to do it properly?
Since the mid 90s in school. The ability to build your own wheels is a good thing. Not just because you have more control over a build, but it also gives you the chance to try different things and see how they affect the life of the wheel. There are a few tricks out there to get your cross lacing dialed. Any good mechanic should be able to show you pretty quickly. Owning a truing stand is a good thing.