Quantcast

Mavic Crossmax UST

R

RideMonkey

I've been using Mavic Crossmax wheels and Hutchinson tubeless tires for about 16 months now. I have not had a flat tire once in that 16 months! And I have run pressure as low as 30 pounds. I've bottomed the tire on the rim several times.

The wheels are tough. I have never trued the front, and the rear has had just a couple of minor wobbles.

This wheelset is awesome!

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I have not seen any of those new hutchenson tyres yet.
what's the grip like how agresive is the tread what's it good for ?(sand, clay, mud, rock ect)
and What sizes can you get it in?:confused: :)

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
that I see with tubeless right now is the tire selection. There just isn't much available yet, and what is available is expensive and heavier than a light tire and tube of a comparable tire. Pythons cost $100 in the tubeless version and are claimed to be about 710 grams. I can get a Specialized Rockster Team for about $75(actually a local shop has them on a killer discount of 19.95 at the moment) and it weighs 400 grams plus rim strip and light tube of maybe 150 grams. I am light so I rarely get pinch flats. I run race tires like Rocksters at 35 psi, maybe 40 if its a rocky course and 2.1 tires at 30-35 psi anyway. Often when I finaly get around to checking my air pressure I find that I've been riding around on 20 psi. The tire starts rolling over sideways when cornering at those pressures anyway, so the tubeless advantage of low pressure without pinch flats just isn't an issue for me.

But I've read that due to the lack of an inner tube that tubeless run faster and smoother. Is that true? How do find it? Have you gone back to a tubed tire and does it feel slower?

R

RideMonkey

The tires low profile tread, no big knobs. Traction and cornering are great in most dry conditions, bigger knobs would be better in mud and rain. I think that Michelin makes a tubeless with some bigger knobs.

nazmtnman

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
Flagstaff, AZ
what about the cheaper version, the crossroc. Was at the shop today and guy said it is a little heavier, seemed ok to me. He also said it is easier to true and repair should any spokes break, he said the max are much harder to fix should you break a spoke. The rocs were more than 400$ cheaper, was thinking of getting those to start instead of the max, whadya think?? T.A.

R

RideMonkey

I think the Crossrocs sound great. Are they a tubless system? They weren't available when I got mine.

Mavic products in general just kick lots of ass. Go for it!

RM

nazmtnman

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
Flagstaff, AZ
yeah, they're tubeless, pretty much just a cheaper version of the max. Still think I'll wait until after christmas when all the new '02 stuff comes out and get me a steal on some old '01 stuff. T.A.:) :D

Jul 1, 2001
Humboldt Nation
There is an outstanding article in July issue of Mountain Biking Action on Tubeless tires. I read it from start to finish. Tire repair sounds a lot easier than you could imagine if it's only a small puncture, although they recommend carrying a spare tube on the trail for if you flat. I know you can run tubes in these wheels because Sunshine is running them in her Cross Max wheels. I'm going to get her a set of Tubless tires for her birthday. I just don't know if I can convince her to use them. I'm going to try. She has that eight hundred dollar wheelset that she spec'd on her XS Titus Loco Moto, she might as well use them to their fullest capacity. The article in the mag was very encouraging for trying them. This may even prompt me to get a tubeless wheelset. If we all sit around waiting for somebody else to try it we may be passing up one of the best things that has come along for our sport since the deraileur. Which by the way is quite aniquated in its own right. The article also touched on that using it as an example of how primitive our cycles really still are. C'mon, how long has the automotive industry been using tubeless tires? The technology is THERE BABY. Use it or lose it!

Originally posted by TwoWheelinTim
If we all sit around waiting for somebody else to try it we may be passing up one of the best things that has come along for our sport since the deraileurThe technology is THERE BABY. Use it or lose it!
Myself I like ta stay about two or tree years behind the people that have to pay for all da tec. I just swiched ta full suspention an' soon I may be enjoying plush long travel forks, at a hell of a discount from what day cost two or tree years ago. PLUS I have da security a knowin' what I buy is tryed and true. So let me say thanks ta ya guys wat buys an' trys all dat good stuff first.

Bradley

Chimp
Jul 15, 2001
Oklahoma
After reading this thread among various other articles regarding these wheels I must say aside from the purchase of a road bike and trainer these are a must for my next big MTB purchase. These wheels along with the Michelin tires.

R

RideMonkey

have you tried slime in the tires? I was running slime on course covered in cactus and had no probs......

novice

Chimp
Aug 8, 2001
Madison, WI
1. Has anyone here trie Stan's tubeless system? I don't use it, but that could change. I have heard both good and bad about this system, and I am looking for anyone's input on this one.

2. Jensonusa.com has oem crossmax wheelsets pretty cheap, $450. I don't know how these differ from aftermarket crossmaxes, but this might be a good option instead of Stan's.

NOTE: jenson is out of stock of the aforementioned crossmaxes, my bad:(

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

Seen and heard lots 'o good stuff about tubeless. Here's the Euro perspective-

Tires are plentiful and not much more expensive than a foldable tube version. Conti, Michelin, Hutchinson, Schwalbe, and Maxxis are just a few of the tire manufacurers that offer tubless tires. And they come in a multitude of widths and treads.

All of the German mtb rags rave over 'em. Have not heard any downside stories about the rims or the system. Lots of success stories like ridemonkey's "...I did a 70m drop in on tubeless running 5 psi right on the rim (which hit a railroad track) and I just kept on riding..." and the like.

I can get the Crossroc UST disc set here for cheap. Still broke from that last beer run tho. :cool:

R

RideMonkey

Ok I have to admit that a few weeks ago I got my first flat on the system. This is what I learned:

1. A tube DOES work just fine.

2. Patches work, but not all of them. I had trouble getting a standard REMA patch to stick. Park style glueless worked fine.

3. Even though I had cut a quarter inch gash in the sidewall, the thick sidewalls were able to hold the tube without bulging too badly. A regular tire might have needed a boot.

This is the part that sucks:

Whether you patch or use a tube, it is impossible to get the tire seated correctly on the trail. It requires soapy water or some other kind of lube. I tried spit and water and it was pointless. I had to complete the ride with a lot of hops in the tire. This wasnt so bad off-road but on the road back to the car i could really feel it.

Its still worth it. I run low air pressure and had only 1 flat in 1.5 years.

B-Loco

Chimp
Aug 13, 2001
South Florida
RM -

i have to agree about seating tires on tubeless systems being a pain in the a$$.

My friend got a GF supercal with the bontrager racelites tubeless rims. They came with the Michelin tires and with TUBES! The shop had to call GF and get the valve stems. Than we tried to mount them. Man - getting the tires off was hard as hell! But the tough part was trying to get those suckers back on after removing the tubes!!! The front rim/tire bead didn't seat well the first attempt and was leaking a bit of air so we had to remount it. Than we had to pump them up to 60-70 PSI to seal the tires than back off the pressure to 30-35 or whatever you want to run it at.

The system seems pretty cool though. The rims are fairly light and the tires are good. She hasn't gotten any flats in 3 months yet - I'm on my second hehe.

I'm going to wait a while till more aftermarket hubs and rims come out. Than I'll do a big upgrade to disc and tubeless all in one shot! :D