Quantcast

maxxis and ZTR flow promlem

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
hi all...

I'm having a problem mounting a maxxis DHF ST UST 2.50 on a ZTR flow rims on my front wheel. the rear wheel, turn out good. it was with high roller from my earlier bike.

the front wheels, is with brand new maxxis DHF ST UST 2.50. it's so hard to sit the bead properly. I have tried to inflate, using both compressor and floor for up to around 50psi and still some part of the bead hasn't sit properly.

I've been on tubeless for awhile and usually I'll inflate them with compressor for as much as posibble till all the bead sit properly and leave them for few hours, then deflate them into desire pressure and never had problems. I have tried that way for the front wheel, and I already blew 2 high roller ST UST 2.50.

any advice?

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
drop some air, to like 10-15 psi, spray it down with simple green or windex along the bead and rim to lubricate it a little bit, then air it up to about 35psi. if the bead is still not fully on, you can tug on the tire sidewall, as if you were trying to get a tight bead off the rim, to get it to snap into place.

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
by the way, I'm running the flow with a standard no tubes strip to convert into tubeless

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
drop some air, to like 10-15 psi, spray it down with simple green or windex along the bead and rim to lubricate it a little bit, then air it up to about 35psi. if the bead is still not fully on, you can tug on the tire sidewall, as if you were trying to get a tight bead off the rim, to get it to snap into place.
I did try using a dishwashing liquid and even some chain lube, still no luck....even some tug, doesn't really work...

Last edited:

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
If you're using a schraeder valve, try pulling the valve core and use a air sprayer nozzle. The core can slow down the air flow significantly. The other option is to mount the new tire with a tube and let it sit for a day to let it mold to the shape of the rim bead. Good luck!

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
nah...I'm using presta. this is my first experience with the flow naver had any other problems with tubeless rims or even tubeless converted rims

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Switch to the yellow tape and little valve. More room for the bead of the tyre. Works good for me!

bholwell

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Yes, you only need one layer of yellow tape on the Flows to set up most tires tubeless, especialy UST tires since they have a tighter bead.

Be aware that the Stan's rims are not UST rims, however, and are not really designed to be used with UST tires. Also the UST tire was designed to be run tubeless only on a UST rim. I'm sure many people have run a similar setup sucessfully, however it's not ideal. The best combo (and only tubeless combo endorsed by Maxxis) is a UST tire mounted tubeless on a UST spec rim.

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
Yes, you only need one layer of yellow tape on the Flows to set up most tires tubeless, especialy UST tires since they have a tighter bead.

Be aware that the Stan's rims are not UST rims, however, and are not really designed to be used with UST tires. Also the UST tire was designed to be run tubeless only on a UST rim. I'm sure many people have run a similar setup sucessfully, however it's not ideal. The best combo (and only tubeless combo endorsed by Maxxis) is a UST tire mounted tubeless on a UST spec rim.
I was planning to get the yellow tape but ended up with the strip, because I have read somewhere says that the strip will stand batter for heavier rider.

so, you think I should get normal/non-ust tyre and run them with stans liquid? will they stand better? as I'm a heavy rider(230lbs)

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
I've been running ZTR Flows for years on different bikes

always found the best setup is Roval tape (or any electrical tape really..tape will not move during installation or during use, and will not leak air around the side edges like the rim strip can) with seperate Stan's Valve unit, and 2-3 cups of Stan's Solution

I only use Specialized Control tires on my ZTR Flows, I have *never* failed to get one to either inflate on the first attempt (using just a trackpump) or stay inflated in the long term

I've used Clutch, Captain, Eskar, Purgatory, Fast Trak LK, Storm, etc.

for your needs I'd highly recommend the Specialized Clutch SX tire - its 1.5 ply so sub 1000gm, very very grippy and seems pretty tough in terms of abrasion, and with your tubeless setup you obviously won't pinch flat it ;)

I currently use the excellent Specialized Control Purgatory (front) and Specialized Control Captain 2.2 tires on my all-mtn bike with the same setup as above, and have no complaints!

bholwell

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
Knoxville, TN
I was planning to get the yellow tape but ended up with the strip, because I have read somewhere says that the strip will stand batter for heavier rider.

so, you think I should get normal/non-ust tyre and run them with stans liquid? will they stand better? as I'm a heavy rider(230lbs)
Well no, not exactly. At Maxxis, we don't condone running any tire tubeless except for a UST tire on a UST rim.

The UST Minion DHF 26x2.5 is a DH tire. Do you need a true 2-ply DH tire for your application? If yes, I would suggest a wire bead 2-ply Minion mounted with tubes on your Flows. This is what Team Maxxis runs, and it works well for them.

If your application is more AM, you could try the Minion DHF 26x2.5 with Exo-Protection (available in a MaxxPro 60a compound and a 3C compound- soon to be called 3C MaxxTerra (i.e. a little harder than the DH 3C compound configuration)). But without knowing more about your riding style, terrain, etc. I can't say for certain whether or not this tire will be up to the task.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Well no, not exactly. At Maxxis, we don't condone running any tire tubeless except for a UST tire on a UST rim.

The UST Minion DHF 26x2.5 is a DH tire. Do you need a true 2-ply DH tire for your application? If yes, I would suggest a wire bead 2-ply Minion mounted with tubes on your Flows. This is what Team Maxxis runs, and it works well for them.

If your application is more AM, you could try the Minion DHF 26x2.5 with Exo-Protection (available in a MaxxPro 60a compound and a 3C compound- soon to be called 3C MaxxTerra (i.e. a little harder than the DH 3C compound configuration)). But without knowing more about your riding style, terrain, etc. I can't say for certain whether or not this tire will be up to the task.
I ran a 2.5 3c minion exo/stans flow rim Tubeless on the front of my AM bike and it blew off 3 times, the last was on a pretty decent sized drop that resulted in a hard crash. I can't recommend that set up. I'm running it currently with a tube and not having any problems but that defeats the purpose of using a stan's flow rim, imo.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a good single ply 2.5ish front tire to run tubeless on a flow rim?

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I ran a 2.5 3c minion exo/stans flow rim Tubeless on the front of my AM bike and it blew off 3 times, the last was on a pretty decent sized drop that resulted in a hard crash. I can't recommend that set up. I'm running it currently with a tube and not having any problems but that defeats the purpose of using a stan's flow rim, imo.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a good single ply 2.5ish front tire to run tubeless on a flow rim?
roel gave you a few... I'd probably get the Spec. Butcher 2.5 SX casing tire or Conti Rubber Queen/Trail King 2.4 UST. The RQ/TK needs to be the UST version, not the regular or you'll have some stans coming out the sidewalls.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
UST maxxis minion worked out much better than me on stans than standard tyre. It also worked out better than ust minion on mavic ust rim.

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
I will only do DH and Enduro on this particular, I'd say 2-ply is a MUST. as Im a heavy rider too...

will try to give more tug tonight and see how I go...I got a bit of luck last nite, not much left to tug now.

thanks

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
I've been running ZTR Flows for years on different bikes

always found the best setup is Roval tape (or any electrical tape really..tape will not move during installation or during use, and will not leak air around the side edges like the rim strip can) with seperate Stan's Valve unit, and 2-3 cups of Stan's Solution

I only use Specialized Control tires on my ZTR Flows, I have *never* failed to get one to either inflate on the first attempt (using just a trackpump) or stay inflated in the long term

I've used Clutch, Captain, Eskar, Purgatory, Fast Trak LK, Storm, etc.

for your needs I'd highly recommend the Specialized Clutch SX tire - its 1.5 ply so sub 1000gm, very very grippy and seems pretty tough in terms of abrasion, and with your tubeless setup you obviously won't pinch flat it ;)

I currently use the excellent Specialized Control Purgatory (front) and Specialized Control Captain 2.2 tires on my all-mtn bike with the same setup as above, and have no complaints!
Roel, I'd like to hear your impressions on the Purgatory as front tire in intermediate to soft conditions for an AM bike. I'm currently running a minion 2.5 EXO but need to change to speci tires. I ran a clutch for a while but could never get along with it, it seemed to lose traction at the slightest bit of front brake and never felt like it bit that well, it always seemed to be drifting. The other option is the butcher SX but that's a fairly heavy tire at 960 grams.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Roel, I'd like to hear your impressions on the Purgatory as front tire in intermediate to soft conditions for an AM bike. I'm currently running a minion 2.5 EXO but need to change to speci tires. I ran a clutch for a while but could never get along with it, it seemed to lose traction at the slightest bit of front brake and never felt like it bit that well, it always seemed to be drifting. The other option is the butcher SX but that's a fairly heavy tire at 960 grams.
also remember that S will be releasing the butcher in a control 2bliss version this fall @ ~730 grams - september is the rumour...

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
I just blew the third tyre... :(

I've inflate them into 40 psi and left them for few hours, I thought it will make them sit the bead better. boom....I guess I'm wrong...damn!

I'm seriously in consider of changing into other rims...what do you guys think?

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
just stop using the UST maxis tire. just use literally any other normal DH tire, and it will work tubeless perfectly. the 3c/st/60a all work tubeless awesome (frankly better than the UST version).

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
just stop using the UST maxis tire. just use literally any other normal DH tire, and it will work tubeless perfectly. the 3c/st/60a all work tubeless awesome (frankly better than the UST version).
No doubt.
On flows I have used, Michelin DH tires, michelin trail tires, specialized trail tires, and Maxxis regular trail tires.
All with perfect results, I have never blown a tire off, and I have only burped them with trail tires a few times.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm resurrecting an old thread caus' I'm looking for advice on how to mount this setup...

Based on feedback I got from the "Tires of TransProvence" thread, I ordered (and just received - thanks Chain Reaction Cycles!) a DH-casing 2.35 High Roller in the Maxxpro compound (60a). I'm going to mount it to my Flow EX which has one layer of yellow tape wrapped on.

Are there any tips or tricks to mounting this setup or is it as easy as throwing in a couple of scoops of Stans and swishing it around? maybe three scoops will be necessary?

My one concern is how Stans goo will play with the rubber of the tire. I've had two UST single-ply High Rollers develop "tumor-blisters" in the past as a result of the Stans and I'm a little worried that'll happen to this one also. I seem to remember that this year or last Maxxis changed something in their rubber compound so this wouldn't happen, but I'm not too sure. In the end, I got these for a week-long trip to Sedona in November. So as long as they last for that trip, I'll consider myself having come out ahead.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Thanks for the info, i didn't know that. That will definitely be the next tire I buy.
I also run Butcher control 2bliss on the front and love it. currently have a purgatory control on the back and cannot stand it. most vague tire I have ever ridden. It's all over the show. The butcher seems to ride like a minion with a bit more of a cornering edge and more predictability as to when it will let go and start to drift.

Sly: I ran some non ust high rollers on this setup with stans with no problem for quite a bit before going to specialized stuff (which also seems to have no problem with stans).

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I also run Butcher control 2bliss on the front and hate it. currently have a purgatory control on the back and cannot stand it. most vague tire I have ever ridden. It's all over the show. The butcher seems to ride like a minion with a bit more of a cornering edge and more predictability as to when it will let go and start to drift.
Splain yourself. Those two sentences do not add up. :)

May 30, 2011
Louisville, KY
I just got a set of Stans Flow EX rims and put my UST Minion DHF 2.5's on with no issues. The tire has been run on a different set of rims for a while first though. Not sure if that makes a difference. I am using the standard stans yellow tape and stans fluid. What I have done with other set ups that I had trouble with was i used the rubber stans strip and put it on the out side of the tire using it as a big rubber band to hold it in place and then inflated it and it shot right up.

Bighitz

Chimp
Mar 18, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I also run Butcher control 2bliss on the front and love it. currently have a purgatory control on the back and cannot stand it. most vague tire I have ever ridden. It's all over the show. The butcher seems to ride like a minion with a bit more of a cornering edge and more predictability as to when it will let go and start to drift.

Sly: I ran some non ust high rollers on this setup with stans with no problem for quite a bit before going to specialized stuff (which also seems to have no problem with stans).
I had the same experience with the Purgatory, I think the profile is too round and the side knobs too small. I'd recommend the Captain Control in 2.0 out back. In the last year I've run a Purg 2.3, Ground control 2.3, the Captin, and a 2.35 High Roller, while running either a folding minion or a Butcher Control up front. The Captain has been the best rear, it's not very drifty but it's very fast rolling and surprisingly sticky, while being the most durable.