Quantcast

Maxxis Cup Int'l Round #1: Gouveia, Portugal

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Last weekend we charged the first international Maxxis Cup. First up, a little background info: I’m originally from the northern California area, go to school at CalPoly SLO, and am spending the year studying abroad in Alicante, Spain. I also ride bikes, and like to engage in fun hobbies like drinking and talking.
Thursday night rolls around, and I get about an hour and a half of sleep after doing homework and stuff all night long. Friday morning, after a quick, half-hour ride into town with everything (I can only travel with what I can carry on my bike), it’s an hour on the train to get into Altea. In Altea, I met Perre and Alberto. Perre owns a bike shop, and Alberto is a professional slacker. After gathering up all their stuff, eating, and taking waaaay too long to get rolling, we drive the 167km up to Valencia, meeting Peter who had rented a van. We leave Valencia around 6pm.

Peter the Pirate:

After about a half hour on the freeway, it comes to my attention that we’re driving 0 km/hour, and the van has 0 km on the trip odometer. Huh? Turns out Peter disconnected the odometer/speedo cable after renting the van for the cheapest, 100km rent available!
We roll across the border around midnight after seeing the cathedral in Salamanca, which will amaze you. I took to the wheel at about 1am, and once on the right road, we spend the next 3 hours climbing a huge mountain at breakneck speeds in the rain. Roll in to the campsite at 4 am, run around like kids on Christmas, and crash out.

Gouveia’s Church

Gouveia’s School

Gouveia’s nicest hotel (that we did not stay at ? )

Saturday morning we got in about 7 or 8 practice runs. The course was rad, really fast with a couple tech rock sections and a road gap at the bottom. It was more of a smoother track, with lots of braking bumps, and two or three rock gardens (or jumps, if you’re a hucker).
Saturday evening, we roll into town, and it starts to pour rain. Dumping buckets of rain. Dang. Once we find a nice little bar to eat in, the waiter brings us some really good Portugese beer. Everyone manages to pound at least 4 heavy beers before the meal is served. Everyone then eats like a king, enjoys more beer, and we arrange to stay at some shady rancher’s house. We swing by the local club, and meet some ladies. They speak a little English, and understand our Spanish, but the language of love knows no boundaries.

Gouveia’s finest

Around midnight we intend to go to the house we’re crashing at, and hop in the van. Yours truly immediately blacks out in the back seat, and wakes up as the van crashes into a solid object. Somehow, the driver got lost and managed to find a discotech/club with a trials demo. After 2 hours and 100 drunken “experts” assist in freeing the car from the pole/mud/embankment, we enter the club only to realize we’re covered in mud and exhausted. Of course, they want to charge us 7 euro to leave the club, so we leave by running past the bouncers and looking confused. I also farted next to a bouncer.

Gawdammit

Sunday morning is the race, and everyone is damn hung over. After some huge coffees and a lot of water, it’s on. First race run, I got a good top part, get through the first two rock gardens way smoother and faster than in practice, but on the third, huck a little too far and land off course in the tape. After pulling the tape out of the front wheel, putting the bike back on track, and starting over, I got the best corner of my entire life, and cruised down the rest of the hill for a 2:30.

Some American kook studying abroad in Spain on the final road gap:

Fabien won with a 2:09, and he was flying. I saw him nearly die in his second run, that man is insane. Here’s a couple more pics:

Oscar Saiz

David Vasquez

Nico Vink

We all made it back to Alicante/Altea by 8am the next morning, despite sleep deprivation, running out of gas, needing to unpack and repack numerous times, several traffic jams, and a lot of gum.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
good report.

i'm jesious, spain dh racing.

sounded like you had a hard night b/f the race. lol

did you see any of the WRC?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
bcd said:
are you going to http://www.maxxiscup.com/Maxxiscup/English/2005_port aine_maps.htm

?

i am hoping to be in spain and might come earlly to do it.

alex

Ya know, I might make it up for that race. Lemme look into it.
Supposed to head home on June 29th. I'll do the Vallnord race on the 11th of June. There is also a National Maxxis Race in Lleida that same weekend, the 2nd of July. I'll ask around to find out which one is better. The International cups are basically mini-world cups, with tons of uptight, pissed off racer types running around. I don't have any fun with that kind of attitude, so I might go to the National instead.

I was thinking about going over to Les Gets after Vallnord, but that will probably be too expensive. It's only 40 euro for a week long lift ticket, but the whole traveling/camping/eating thing is pricey.

When are you coming over to Europe?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
if we co eover it will be july5 to 20th

its a maybe right now though

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
T-Pirate said:
That looks tight, I'm def jealous. I'm definitely gonna study abroad for a semester sometime, my brother did london last semester. Nice shots, cool lookin course.
Are you in college yet? Where? Spain is awesome, I'd highly recomend it. Be sure you can speak the language pretty well before going to a foreign country though, it's pretty hard to have a good time and make friends if you can't speak the local language. I know a ton of Americans and British kids who don't speak any Spanish and have no idea what is going on. Even with MTBing, which is rad because you have friends wherever you go, it really helps if you can speak the language. I'd say a solid year of intensive study before you go some place is the bare minimum to get a good experience.

I don't want to discourage you, just want to help ya get to a place that you will really enjoy. It's worth it to go abroad, you'll learn something new everyday, and it's an unforgetable experience.