Quantcast

Maxxis rim strip users???

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
What's your technique for installation? I'm using 321s with High Rollers (both brand new). Did you use a cloth tape under the rubber strip? Compressor or pump? Soapy water to help seat the bead? I only had about a half hour to try to install them quickly and I was unsuccessful. I did break 2 tires levers, though. :) Thanks.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Are you installing them as intended (ears over the sides of the rim) or did you scissor off the ears? If you kept the ears, you can keep the cloth tape or use fiberglass filament tape (packing tape) like Stan has in his kits. The trick is to get a roll of 1/4" thick by 3/8" wide urethane self-adhesive weather stripping from your hardware store, cut a length the circumference of your rim, then slice it into two pieces down the middle so you basically have two 1/4"x1/4" strips. Put a foam strip down the middle of the packing tape, then put the Maxxis strip over the top. That will create a soft "hump" down the middle of the rim to help trap air, yet will compress as needed to get tires on. Stan recommends this for his strips with 321 rims, or multiple layers of cloth spoke tape. The spoke tape doesn't compress though, and makes it hell to get tires on and off, especially Maxxis tires.