Quantcast

Maxxis Single Ply (non-EXO) and Tubeless?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'm thinking of finally giving tubeless a try. I figure I already have some Stan's Flows so I might as well. My main motivation is actually weight - I rarely flat using 190 gram tubes, but 120 gram tubes die quickly. I figure moving to tubeless will save me 70-130 grams a wheel depending on how much sealant I wind up using. This sounds great with AM/FR tires that I run, but on longer epics I switch to single ply DHF 2.3s to allow 4+ hours of pedaling with 3-5k feet in climbing. The question is, can I run them without burping? The descents are still very technical and I'm on a 170mm bike, so it's not like I'm going XC/Trail bike speeds...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I know you specified 'non-EXO' but my experience has been with EXO Minions on Mavic 819 rims, squirt or three of Stan's sealant, and I have had flawless results. No burps, no loss of pressure, no flats, no nothing.

I found the EXO sidewalls held up better than single plys at a reasonable weight.

Try mounting the single plys. I wouldn't be surprised if they hold, so long as you don't run any stupid low pressures.