Quantcast

Maybe Lance should have kept his mouth shut....

D

Dingus McGee

Wouldn't it be nicer to keep quiet or was it too obvious that Lance could have smoked him? The Tour de Cancer continues......LA is sure doing a lot to
bring it to the forefront
from Velonews-

"As for Armstrong, who won here in 2002, the 32-year-old American said he had allowed Basso to win the stage because he is trying to help the Italian's mother in her fight against cancer.

"He's a hell of a good guy," Armstrong said. "We've been friends for a long time, and off the bike we're trying to work a little bit on his mom's situation, to try and see if she can win the fight against cancer.

"It's pretty special for me to have been out there with him, and the past week we haven't spoken about the race, we've spoken about his mom. It was a pleasure for me to let him (Basso) win, and he deserved to win. He was super strong."

Arm On Fire

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Exeter, NH & Acton, MA
There's been a mis-quote here.
That quote is from the French press, imagine that.
If you look at the rest of the worlds quotes, it is entirely different.
Read them all and make your own decision.

Gee Spot

Chimp
Sep 13, 2002
rochester, ny
I saw that interview and that is NOT what Lance said! Why is it someone is always trying to make him look bad? Lets face it people.... Lance is a good guy.....

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Gee Spot said:
I saw that interview and that is NOT what Lance said! Why is it someone is always trying to make him look bad? Lets face it people.... Lance is a good guy.....
lance is a great guy but well even great people arent great in every situation every moment of their lives. He's fallible and some people are always trying to exploit that.

Gee Spot

Chimp
Sep 13, 2002
rochester, ny
The Toninator said:
lance is a great guy but well even great people arent great in every situation every moment of their lives. He's fallible and some people are always trying to exploit that.

That is the problem here.... everyone is fallible... but that should not take away from someone being genuinely good hearted.

It seems people can not just let him have his glory.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
llkoolkeg said:
Very well...somebody needs to assemble a seasoned platoon or two.
You'd need WAY more than that, Mr. Military Genius.

Accepting surrender from tens of thousands is way too much for a platoon.

MD

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
llkoolkeg said:
Very well...somebody needs to assemble a seasoned platoon or two.
Wow yeah I'd like to see that. The same country that can't even keep control in Iraq or Afganistan. France would destroy the US military never mind the fact the the entire European Union would back them up and destroy the US and all of there incompetant soldiers. :mumble:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
JMAC said:
Wow yeah I'd like to see that. The same country that can't even keep control in Iraq or Afganistan. France would destroy the US military never mind the fact the the entire European Union would back them up and destroy the US and all of there incompetant soldiers. :mumble:
Woooow, someone got out of bed to early this morning.....:eek: :D

I would have to dissagree with the might of the French army....but it isn't their fault, the USA is pretty large and capable. Much more than you give them credit for.

I guess we could walk in and offer baggettes and coffee...they would surrender right there. Of course they would not be happy about it and blame us for offering such tasty treats for their surrender and that they would still spit on us from afar...given they had they bearings to do so. :) I am joking....seems more like a rant for the Poli-Forum than the Roadie forum....don't cha think?

The European Union is capable but are they a match? Probably not. Would they inflict damages and pain upon the USA. Most definately....anyone who thinks it would be a cakewalk ultimately thinks war can be clean (not messy) and that is simply not true.

I just hope you have vented enough to see they were joking and that your post was a little over the top considering the context. but go ahead and post this over inthe Poli-forum if you want to hash it out more.

today is almost over....lighten up. :)

Rhino

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Um, yeah. "Can't keep control?" That's because militaries aren't designed to do that. They exist to kill people and break things...using them as "peacekeepers" and police, which politicians are wont to do, or forced to do by circumstance (since no one's put thought, money, or effort into creating a viable police-type force) doesn't exactly put use to their talents.

It's an asymmetric fight in those countries; one we're bound to have problems fighting. To me, it doesn't speak of wisdom on the US's part to have entered such a fight pretty much unprepared for the results...but with the French and/or all of Europe, there'd be no conventional (a now-outdated term) battlefield contest at all. Maybe, after surrendering and collaborating, the French would posit a few guys in berets as 'resistance' after the fact, but I doubt they'd put up the shrewd and tough fight of the middle eastern insurgents.

So, anyhow, it's a historical joke. Can you think of a French military victory since Napoleon? If you want to count Algeria, I think you've just found France's Vietnam...wait, no, that WAS Vietnam, then we inhereted the crapheap...

I love it when former colonial powers throw stones at the US. The world is in the crappy shape it's in because of Europe and its brief and poorly run world domination, and the US gets stuck with the bill. Now, do I think the current course of actions the executive branch is taking right now is very smart? Nope, but there's an election coming up.

Oh, yah, and before the mods delete this off-topic stuff, Lance is a machine, like him or not. I'm still not sure if I do like him or not, but you have to respect the results. I think that's what we were talking about, more or less, before I derailed the thread?

MD

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
JMAC said:
The fact that there are people in the world who are this completely out of touch with reality scares me more than any military.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Echo said:
The fact that there are people in the world who are this completely out of touch with reality scares me more than any military.
Wow you think I;m out of touch look at your ****ing country. It's filled with the most incompetant ppl in the world. Go travel a little bit and see what the world thinks of the US. :dancing:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
JMAC said:
Wow you think I;m out of touch look at your ****ing country. It's filled with the most incompetant ppl in the world. Go travel a little bit and see what the world thinks of the US. :dancing:
someone either has anger management issues or national penis envy :D

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
JMAC said:
That's because all our really intelligent and productive people have already fled across the border to Canada!

I do agree that many people of the world think poorly of us. That's because unless you are in first place, your view during the rat race of life is the hairy bunghole of the guy that preceeds you.

That aside aside, Lance is routinely misquoted and villified by the French press for beating the snot out of their pretenders to the throne. They should just give up and pass a new rule for next year's TdF...No Americans Allowed. That way, they could get back to their regularly-scheduled sexual battery at the hands of the Germans. Jan ULLRICH and Andréas KLÖDEN could give them all the rough DP they historically crave.

Oh...I almost forgot- ;)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
JMAC said:
I'll bet my salary (which is probably more than you've made in your entire life) that I've travelled more and seen more of the world than you have.

I'm not necessarily proud of everything this country is doing... in fact I've thought of leaving this country because of how I feel about some things.

But to say anyone has a chance against the USA in a military campaign is just plain naive.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Echo said:
But to say anyone has a chance against the USA in a military campaign is just plain naive.
No I still have to disagree. Plus I trash talking my own country seeing as I am American. :dancing:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
If Lance were to not race next year....

Do you tink Team Postal (or a new creation) would be as competetive? :think:

I think Lance has great support via the team but does the team have that star ability without Lance?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Azezedo is an awesome climber and has the potential to take it all. He is sixth right now.

(China has the capability to go one on one with the US.)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
RhinofromWA said:
If Lance were to not race next year....

Do you tink Team Postal (or a new creation) would be as competetive? :think:

I think Lance has great support via the team but does the team have that star ability without Lance?
Lance will race next year and probably the year after that, so they have time to groom his replacement. I say this cuz I doubt that the Discovery Channel would've signed on without some encouraging words from Lance that he's not retiring. Plus, if he was even thinking about retiring this year then i'm pretty sure he'd compete in the Olympics.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I think if Postal were to state that they were looking for a new team leader to replace Lance, they would have just about every top rider in the world applying for the job.

D

Dingus McGee

Discovery Channel Cycling would likely fade into obscurity without Johan Bruneel also. I think he has a good bit to do with the success. ITT on the Alpe tomorrow, the roadside fans are going to be absurd! I wish I was camping there with a keg of Belgian ale and flock of Eurotrash girls........ :blah:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
JMAC said:
LOL... you mean the one that conqured a country the size of France (and witrh a bigger military than france) in 3 weeks?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Dingus McGee said:
Discovery Channel Cycling would likely fade into obscurity without Johan Bruneel also. I think he has a good bit to do with the success. ITT on the Alpe tomorrow, the roadside fans are going to be absurd! I wish I was camping there with a keg of Belgian ale and flock of Eurotrash girls........ :blah:
Yeah... that is going to be off the HOOK!!!

I wish I was there with you as well... Maybe some Phantome Saison, and a ton of hard body euro cycling slut hotties. :drool:

As fo Lance being arrogant, I think he is anything BUT.
When people ask him about how big a feat winning 6 tours is, all he usually says is something like "Ask me once I have done it, cuz I refuse to think about it until I'm standing on the podium in Paris. As soon as I assume the win, I will lose. There are a lot of strong competitors, and anything can happen between now and then"

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
JMAC said:
No I still have to disagree. Plus I trash talking my own country seeing as I am American. :dancing:
You're American? Does that mean English is your native language? Wow...I was specifically NOT beating you up about your terrible grasp of English because I assumed you were French-Canadian.

Anyhow, yeah, thanks. I've travelled plenty, and will continue to travel more. And Echo is quite right...not one of us wrote in defense of ANYTHING the US has done recently. Totally separate issue which we won't broach here.

MD

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Wumpus said:
No. China has the potential to someday, but not the capability now. Not even close. China could perhaps fend off a US invasion, but lets say if the US and China met at a halfway point and fought over a piece of land not connected to either country or its allies, the US would win by default because China would have no way to get there and no way to keep its troops supplied if it did get there.

But back on topic, Lance pwn3s!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Wumpus said:

Heh. One-on-one leaves them what, a reserve force of 2 billion? Throw in some north koreans and we're gonna have a party...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
MikeD said:
Heh. One-on-one leaves them what, a reserve force of 2 billion? Throw in some north koreans and we're gonna have a party...

...what are you, in the Marines or something?

I'm not :thumb: