Quantcast

Maybe not a beginner anymore

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
How long constitutes a beginner mountain biker? When I first started in April I sucked. But know, a few months and a new bike later I've improving on every ride. I've been log hopping, bridge jumping and taking on tougher and longer rides. It really feels good to be making progress. Things are starting to come togethor now. I can ride 15-20 miles at a good pace no problem. Man, winter is gonna suck when I can't ride as much.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

Dude, how can you not ride during winter?

I mean, what better time to condition your body to be a metabolizing machine? Snow rides kick serious @ss when it comes to the fun factor. Give it a shot, you won't be disappointed.

As for when you aren't a "beginner" anymore.... good question! Perhaps when you can wrench on your own ride, give advice to others of lesser skill than yourself, and when the "advanced" riders stop dropping you on trail rides.

Could be a combination of the aforementioned factor, could be none of em.

Wish I could be more specific, but I ask the same question of myself often....

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Scotty
How long constitutes a beginner mountain biker?
Hmmm...good question. I guess it's all in how you feel. If you don't feel like a beginner anymore, then you're probably not. I'm in my 2nd year of MTB. Somewhere during those two years, I grew out of beginner. I also feel like I've grown out of "novice" status. When you can hop any log or rock, fly down any downhill, climb like a machine, and keep full control while doing all that, you are definitely NOT a beginner anymore. At least that's how I feel.

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
There are a few guys in my group that can smoke me at will but other than that I can keep up pretty good with the rest of the group now. My technical skils are definetly better now. I guess I'm an advanced beginner, if I had to catorgorize myself but I have alot to learn in the years ahead I'm sure. I'm positive I will continue to learn things and develop my skills for years and there will always be something I can pick up on or learn from a more experienced Mountain Biker.