Quantcast

MCSE Training

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
I know UNIX, I know Windows, I know MacOS...knowing something, and having a piece of paper saying you do are two different things. ;)

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
I'm thinking about getting MCSE Certified. Does anyone have any personal experience with the Microsoft certification? Increased salary expectations, etc. I know the MCSE cert isn't as valuable as it used to be, but is it safe to assume that employers are still looking for them?

I know some employers will pay for the MCSE training as well...thank God.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Yeah the certification ain't what it used to be. Plus I've found out that just because you have and MCSE doesn't mean you'll be a good system's engineer. He'll my boss whose been in the industry since almost day one couldn't even pass one of those exams. They really nitpick on the details where a real sys admin wouldn't even sweat it.

I was an MCSE and an MCSD for a while. I did most of it by reading the manuals and working with the products, went to a few courses, most of which were good, but I wouldn't shell out my own money for. I passed something like thirteen of the exams.

After a while I let the certifications lapse, because the value of the chunk of time it took out of my life to stay certified exceeded the perceived value. Studying enough to pass the exams (read studying, not learning the cheats) left me very well grounded in all the products I focused on.

Our company uses certification as a hiring and advancement criterion because we're a Microsoft partner.

J

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
Personally Im going back to school to get that peice of paper. MCSE get a little more money but experience helps also. During the internet boom to market got seriousley flooded with MCSEs. As you said it wont get you as much as it did but itl help.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i was shafted on my MCSE training. Paid the stupid high tuition with written contract for employment with the company sponsoring the school........then, just as i'm ready to take the exams after finishing90% of the courses, the school goes bankrupt and takes all of our money and test vouchers with them.

needless to say, we're in a class action lawsuit against the school.

bummer is, i have a basic knowledge of corporate level networking but nothing to show for it except a big student loan payment.:angry:

oh well, good luck to you...i have the microsoft curriculum books(win2000) if you want to um...rent them:D

splat

Nam I am
Unless you have the experience to put behind it , it does not mean much anymore. there are toooooooo man MCSE out there that are just a price of paper and couldn't trouble shoot there way out of a paper bag. Also it seams the market is flooded with them right now.

Learn a Real OS Unix

But if it is with your employer and they are willing to pay for it , Go for it!