Quantcast

"Medical Cannabis"

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
So I'm pretty sure I've never seen a topic on this subject before. I'm just really curious to see what all you on here have to say about the subject. I know it's been in the news a decent amount recently and that kind of made me wonder what you guys think.

Myself, I'm all for it and am a "patient" as well for back injuries, migranes, glaucoma, and well..the fact that before I would only eat about one small meal a day. For me, it has done wonders with my apatite, migranes go away way faster than anything else and after work when my back is killing me (or after some motos or DH runs) it gets rid of all the pain.

Not saying it's a cure-all by any means, just that it works great for myself. I do however think that the process of getting your reccomendation needs to be screened more. There are plenty of people that I know who have no real problems at all and were easily able to obtain their "card." I also believe that it should NOT be fully legal in ANY state but instead, just have a nationally issued medical card so a patient can get their medicine in any state and not be hastled.

Just my two cents on the subject, what do you have to say?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
legal in washington. no card needed.

I agree w/ eric though, most card holders were/are just stoners looking to legally carry weed.

For me, weed makes my aches/pains worse (I had back surgery, still have a bad back).

I think it's voodoo medicine. I used to smoke weed, got done with it in the mid 1970s. OK with me if others choose to smoke, but it's not clear to me that medical efficacy has been demonstrated.

Edit:

Ohyeah, I regard most medicine as voodoo...

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You guys kill me. There's a ton of people out there that are smokers and you'd never realize it because they don't fall into any of your stereotypes.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Sarcasm is your friend. I have a med card to help with the pain in my knee and back where I have cartilage breaking down. I never knew breaking my back would lead to legal weed.

Herb should not be illegal and if someone wants to get high on their own time they shouldn't have to worry about losing their job. All the stereotypes people carry against herb smokers are pitiful. A lot of the negative press comes from the legality issues and the black market that comes with such a status, it really has nothing to do with the plant or its effects on people!

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Herb should not be illegal and if someone wants to get high on their own time they shouldn't have to worry about losing their job. All the stereotypes people carry against herb smokers are pitiful. A lot of the negative press comes from the legality issues and the black market that comes with such a status, it really has nothing to do with the plant or its effects on people!
:stupid:

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I think there are legitimate medical uses for it. I also think most of the folks with cards either didn't have legitimate medical reasons, or they were greatly exaggerated. I think that it should be legalized so I don't particularly care. Having MMJ as a small demonstration that society hasn't fallen apart with people using it quasi-legally seems helpful.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
This is a mountain bike site, right? I can get close to a trail head and use the smell to guide me in. I don't even smoke. I much prefer it to the smell of cigarettes though....

IMO, most of the 'card carriers' are those looking for an excuse to have it, but I don't care either way if people smoke or not.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I think the legality of it drives a lot of the image.

If booze were illegal (and I wasn't alive during Prohibition, so perhaps this was the image of it), I'd imagine that the reputation of people who were known to drink would be drunks, disregarding societal norms, nonfunctional, etc. If it's illegal, the completely functional normal people don't make it widely known that they do it, so the people who are widely known to smoke pot aren't usually the responsible, upstanding members of society.

I've known a number of people who smoke recreationally who you'd never know from their work... and a number of people who smoke recreationally who are burnouts. Just like I can go out for drinks with people at work who are otherwise tightly laced during the day, or out with guys who regularly take Friday afternoons and Monday mornings off to book-end their alcohol-soaked lifestyle.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
In my experience the vast majority of medicinal users are just normal potheads looking to use the medicinal label to justify their stoner existence.
In my experience people who abuse prescriptions use the medical label to justify their pill head existence, pill heads are a hell of a lot more annoying then pot heads and our society is pretty down with the Xanax popping soccer mom.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
You live in the south, it's just coincidence.
I live in the same town and I disagree 100%. Most of my friends who smoke every day are health nuts whereas my frat star friends who don't smoke have the most disgusting eating habits ever and do nothing but play video games. stalder is ignorant as **** if you haven't noticed already, don't believe anything he says.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
In my experience people who abuse prescriptions use the medical label to justify their pill head existence, pill heads are a hell of a lot more annoying then pot heads and our society is pretty down with the Xanax popping soccer mom.
I gotta agree on this one. Prescription drug abuse is growing at a crazy rate. It's up something like 400% in the last decade.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What a bunch of potheads...

It should be legal, taxed, and be done with it. Do something stupid while high and get in trouble. But having pot in your pocket shouldn't be a criminal offense.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
isn't this the second, third, or fourth time 5150dhbiker has started this kind of thread?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
In my experience the vast majority of medicinal users are just normal potheads looking to use the medicinal label to justify their stoner existence.
Agreed. I'm not saying that their aren't illegitimate medical marijuana users, I do believe that there are legit medical marijuana users, just not the majority. That said, I did vote to legalize recreational use here in CO because I also believe, for a variety of reasons, that prohibition is both ridiculous and harmful.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I also believe that it should NOT be fully legal in ANY state but instead, just have a nationally issued medical card so a patient can get their medicine in any state and not be hastled.

Just my two cents on the subject, what do you have to say?
Trying to keep all that good sh!t for yourself? :disgust1:

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I live in the same town and I disagree 100%. Most of my friends who smoke every day are health nuts whereas my frat star friends who don't smoke have the most disgusting eating habits ever and do nothing but play video games. stalder is ignorant as **** if you haven't noticed already, don't believe anything he says.
I'm glad I don't know you.

We clearly don't know the same people. My friends who are potheads sit around and burn an eighth a day, go out and drink heavily every night, have bad eating habits, and do all kinds of other drugs. I know not all people who smoke are like this, but it doesn't exactly encourage a healthy lifestyle.

And stoney, I'm in Boone, NC.

Last edited: