Quantcast

Medieval Times

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
Ever been to one? Is it neat or does it suck?

We are thinking about going to the one in Kissimmee Florida in July.

THANKS.
If you like that sort of stuff, it's a lot of fun. The food was really good. The jousting was quality stuff. Falconer was neat. Huzzah!

But WTF are you thinking? FL in July?

J

JRB

That King Arthur movie looks like it will be good. I want to go check out some castles someday.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I wouldn't drive more than an hour or two to attend, but that being said, they're pretty fun for an afternoon. The mock battles are especially entertaining........

And here in Colorado you can usually get pretty good ale. :D

-S.S.-

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
Ever been to one? Is it neat or does it suck?

We are thinking about going to the one in Kissimmee Florida in July.

THANKS.
My wife got a dozen tickets free once when she was working for a travel mag.

This was the one in the Meadowlands, NJ, so there was a free buss out there from NYC. We drank on the buss. We drank at Medieval Times. The food was like bad wedding food, but it was fun calling the waitresses "wenches" and the jousting was funny to watch. The over-the-top drama makes for theater so bad that it's good.

The best part was the "after party" They throw on some disco lights and dance music and the "knights" come out and sign autographs & stuff. It's funny how the "knights" really think that they are the shlt. :rolleyes:

So I guess that I'd say that it's fun if you consume lots of booze, and are ready to mock liberally.:devil:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by loco-gringo
That King Arthur movie looks like it will be good. I want to go check out some castles someday.
Dude, you so have to! I went to England to check out some and they were way cool, but I hear if you really wanna see some, go to Wales. Just go to all the UK for several weeks.
Originally posted by SkaredShtles
I wouldn't drive more than an hour or two to attend, but that being said, they're pretty fun for an afternoon. The mock battles are especially entertaining........

And here in Colorado you can usually get pretty good ale. :D

-S.S.-
There's one in CO?

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
I went to a Ren Fest last weekend. It was OK. They used to be geared for an older audience. More/better beer, younger hottie kissing wenches... Now, there were more baby strollers and harry potter fans than anything else. The joust was kinda lame, the jugglers were pretty good though.

I'll probably take my nephew when he gets a little older.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Originally posted by LordOpie
Dude, you so have to! I went to England to check out some and they were way cool, but I hear if you really wanna see some, go to Wales. Just go to all the UK for several weeks.

There's one in CO?
Yep - Wales and Scotland RULE for castles. Although Bavaria, the Rheinland, France, and even Belgium do too. Why not just take a summer off and jaunt about the Old World?

A castle? Sure. A Ren Fest? Sure - down in Larkspur. How long you lived here?? ;)

-S.S.-

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Dude, people who go to ren fairs are wierd. I went out with a girl a couple times who was into that kinda stuff--she was very wierd.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Originally posted by reflux
Dude, people who go to ren fairs are wierd. I went out with a girl a couple times who was into that kinda stuff--she was very wierd.
Actually it's more like: people who are "participants" in ren fests are weird. Oh, and the people who dress up in medieval garb to attend are a bit weird. Although, I have to admit, I'd like to have a set of Rohirrim battle garb....... :eek:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
There's all these dudes that dress up like knights and have these little sword battles at a park near where I live. One time i went out there while i was riding my bike and i hopped up on this picnic table and all these kids came over and started watching me ride instead of watching the knights fight. The knights got all mad and said "you shouldnt be doing that on the picnic table" and Im all "shut the f*** up you dork. if you can swing swords around i can ride my dam bike" he just lowered his head and walked away. I bet he went home and played D&D and felt like a man when he gnarfled the garthoc or whatever.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
So they do serve booze there? That's my main concern. Entertainment comes 2nd.

:p
Yeah. At the one in Colorado they have crap beer (Coors) then usually a small selection of decent beer, then some of the weird medeival $hit - like barleywine and grog.

-S.S.-

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
So they do serve booze there? That's my main concern. Entertainment comes 2nd.

:p
Actually - I don't remember - I drank too much:D

No at least at the Meadowlands one, they had plenty to drink. OK selection as well.
Without that....it would be pretty lame.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
Originally posted by BurlySurly
There's all these dudes that dress up like knights and have these little sword battles at a park near where I live. One time i went out there while i was riding my bike and i hopped up on this picnic table and all these kids came over and started watching me ride instead of watching the knights fight. The knights got all mad and said "you shouldnt be doing that on the picnic table" and Im all "shut the f*** up you dork. if you can swing swords around i can ride my dam bike" he just lowered his head and walked away. I bet he went home and played D&D and felt like a man when he gnarfled the garthoc or whatever.

dude! there's weirdos here that do that crap too, in a park as well. everytime I see them on my way to ride, I always yell out the window "FREAK!!" and sometimes they even raise their fake swords to me like they are calling me back for battle or something

freakin weirdos :rolleyes:

derekbob

Monkey
Sep 4, 2003
Chico
On a ride a couple days ago there were some dudes in bidwell park doing some sword/axe fighting stuff, and man, it was hot (the weather). All that wool and armor couldnt have been too comfortable.

Whenever someone mentions Mideval times I always think of that scene in The Cable Guy. That movie rocked!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by SkaredShtles
Yeah. At the one in Colorado they have crap beer (Coors) then usually a small selection of decent beer, then some of the weird medeival $hit - like barleywine and grog.

-S.S.-
wait, are you talking about the Ren Fest that's here a couple weeks a year or is there an actual place here that's here year round?

The Ren Fest should visit during mud season April-May or Oct-Nov... who the heck wants to give up a prime day of skiing or biking to go to it?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Okay, new thought with BS' input. Has anyone seen the Triumph the Dog skit on Conan where he goes to the Star Wars premier? There's the black dude who started talking wierd sh1t to Triumph. Yeah, that guy is a total ren fair crew member.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Originally posted by Cooter Brown
I always yell out the window "FREAK!!" and sometimes they even raise their fake swords to me like they are calling me back for battle or something

BWAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahAHAHAHAHAhahahahawbahahahwabahahawbahwahabwhawhawbahwbahwbhawahaw

and this is perfectly normal right.........

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Originally posted by LordOpie
wait, are you talking about the Ren Fest that's here a couple weeks a year or is there an actual place here that's here year round?

The Ren Fest should visit during mud season April-May or Oct-Nov... who the heck wants to give up a prime day of skiing or biking to go to it?
Yeah. That's the one. I think it's here June-Aug?

You mean there are PERMANANT Ren Fests? That's just sad. :D

You have it spot on with the dates. Although April/May Oct/Nov is prime Fruita/Moab/desert time..... Lucky for us there really isn't an "off" season. :)

-S.S.-