Quantcast

Memory question

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
My PC currently has 512mb DDR and I want upgrade to at least 1gb. I have 2 256mb cards installed and I have the other 2 slots available. Is it ok to put 2 512mb cards in the empty slots or do I need to keep them the same as the other 2?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Make sure you get the same speed RAM though. If you spend more on faster RAM, it will only run as fast as what you already have. If you skimp and buy slower RAM, it will slow down what you already have.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Potroast88 said:
How do I know what speed I have?
What computer do you have?

The manual that came with your computer should list the kind of RAM you bought. It'll be something like "PC2600" or "PC3200".

As Tench said, the RAM will run at the speed of the slowest piece. Higher is faster. So, don't buy anything slower than what your computer came with - but you don't have to waste your money on faster stuff either. If you get a deal on faster stuff, though, or can't find any in your speed, it won't hurt your computer.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
Its pc3200. I didn't know that was the speed.
If I buy 2 pc3200 512mb cards and install them along with my existing 256mb cards, I will have 1.5g?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Potroast88 said:
Its pc3200. I didn't know that was the speed.
If I buy 2 pc3200 512mb cards and install them along with my existing 256mb cards, I will have 1.5g?
Yessir :)

edit: that's not an actual rating of speed, by the way. PC3200 is actually 400mhz. I'm not really sure what the name denotes.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Might I add, there's single channel and dual channel stuff out there too. Double check to see what yours is so you can match it. I've got one machine w/ 1.5gb of single channel, and another w/ 2gb of dual channel. It's noticable.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
Pau11y said:
Might I add, there's single channel and dual channel stuff out there too. Double check to see what yours is so you can match it. I've got one machine w/ 1.5gb of single channel, and another w/ 2gb of dual channel. It's noticable.
Yeah, mine is dual channel.

D

d-sop

hold up hold up...is it a dell? if it has those 2 blank slots for memory that are being filled up, your best bet is to get 2x512.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
d-sop said:
hold up hold up...is it a dell? if it has those 2 blank slots for memory that are being filled up, your best bet is to get 2x512.
Huh? What does that have to do with it being a Dell?

D

d-sop

i dont know, you should ask them. my computer has 4 memory slots, and 2 are filled with memory. i dont know why, but my computer doesnt start up if the other 2 arent taken, so dell has dummy carteridges or something. its really stupid.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
d-sop said:
i dont know, you should ask them. my computer has 4 memory slots, and 2 are filled with memory. i dont know why, but my computer doesnt start up if the other 2 arent taken, so dell has dummy carteridges or something. its really stupid.
What model do you have and how old is it? Some computers take dummy cartridges, but it has nothing to do with Dell, just some motherboards. Haven't seen one in years though.

Regardless, did you not read what he said? He already said he was going to be getting 2x512. That was what he said in both of his posts.

D

d-sop

chill dude chill....i was just giving my opinion, maybe new dell mobos are different....i dont know. my computer is 2000 or 2001, precision 340 with 2 80gb hds, and loads of other ****. i love it now that ive upgraded 90% of the parts. its the professional like....precision because we get our computers from a computer guy at a discount, thats why we have professional, and thats why i highly recommend it. and i said dells are ****ty also because my brother has a laptop and its just....crap. peace.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
d-sop said:
chill dude chill....i was just giving my opinion, maybe new dell mobos are different....i dont know. my computer is 2000 or 2001, precision 340 with 2 80gb hds, and loads of other ****. i love it now that ive upgraded 90% of the parts. its the professional like....precision because we get our computers from a computer guy at a discount, thats why we have professional, and thats why i highly recommend it. and i said dells are ****ty also because my brother has a laptop and its just....crap. peace.
So do you like Dell or not? If you were going to upgrade 90% of the computer why didn't you just build your own system and save a few hundred dollars and get a better mobo with a better bios?

D

d-sop

i dont like dell. i forgot to mention that i upgraded all parts over a period of 5 years, upgrading because either the part died (not my fault), or i needed to expand. i dont know a lot about computers, and i would build my own system, except im broke right now (my bike's getting a hardcore tune-up and i cant ride it till i pay the bill). ive been thinking of just get a new case, mobo and processor, and move everything from my computer to the new sh*t. plus, im happy with my system right now, except for the memory, but watever. to answer your question, yea, i like my dell now, because its pimped out.

tip: i bought a pci-card turbine-fan, and it kicks ass. like $12 or something. pushes out air 20x than my stock fan.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
d-sop said:
tip: i bought a pci-card turbine-fan, and it kicks ass. like $12 or something. pushes out air 20x than my stock fan.
Those PCI card fans are not usually necessary. Yeah, it makes you computer sound like a jet engine and it'll move a little more air, but do you know what your airflow dynamics are like in the case? Is it moving air over the right components? Or is it just blowing air across the bottom of the motherboard and out the back (which is usually the case)?

The PCI fan is likely screwing with your case airflow more than it's helping.

It's probably unnecessary, but if you really want to fuss with the airflow in your case, pull the side panel off and consider how air is going to get into the case and how it will be exhausted out the back. An intake fan at the front bottom and an exhaust fan at the back top are usually all that's needed for good air circulation - just make sure all the clutter inside the case is tucked away. If there are unneeded power supply cables, don't leave them hanging - tuck them into the corners/edges/whatever.

This is all just nitpicking, though, fact is I'm sure the stock cooling that came with it is more than adequate for your computer. Advanced cooling solutions are only needed for two things: overclocking, or if you want to silence your computer (in which case you don't buy more fans, you buy bigger, quieter fans).