Quantcast

Menzies takes the top step, Clarke takes 3rd in Waukesha.

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Waukesha, WI – The UnitedHealthcare Pro Cycling Team Presented by Maxxis followed up yesterday’s win at the Downer Classic in Milwaukee by delivering Karl Menzies to the win this evening at the Carl Zach Cycling Classic in Waukesha, the final stage of the Tour of America’s Dairyland. </p><p>
</p><p>
Menzies was part of a break that got off the front shortly after the start of the race. When Clarke bridged up to the group with Tour leader James Stemper (Kenda), it secured the success of the break. Then Clarke went to work ensuring that the break lapped the field.</p><p>
</p><p>
“Hilton did a couple really big turns at the front to get us up to the back of the peloton,” Menzies said.</p><p>
</p><p>
“I was committed to driving the break to lap the field,” Clarke added. </p><p>
</p><p>
Once they integrated into the bunch, the Team – which included just Brad White and Jonny Clarke – committed to setting up Menzies. </p><p>
</p><p>
“Last night and tonight, Brad and Jonny really took care of us,” Menzies said. “They aren’t the guys getting on the podium, but neither Hilton or I would be on the podium without them. They’ve been great. Hats off to them.” </p><p>
</p><p>
As he did last night, White took over the front with one lap to go and did another massive turn, taking the two Clarkes and Menzies through most of the final lap. Then Jonny Clarke executed another perfect leadout.</p><p>
</p><p>
“I hit out from maybe 100 or 150 meters out,” Menzies said. Who steamed across the line for a solid win, with yesterday’s 3rd place rider, Mike Northey (Rubicon-Orbea) getting 2nd t oday, with Hilton Clarke finishing off the podium.</p><p>
</p><p>
Since Hilton Clarke joined the UnitedHealthcare Pro Cycling Team Presented by Maxxis a little over two weeks ago, the team hasn’t lost a criterium he’s started. Both Clarke and Menzies aren’t too surprised Clarke has fit in so well.</p><p>
</p><p>
“We raced together a bit back in Australia,” Menzies said. “I knew we worked well together. He’s been a great addition to the team.”</p><p>
</p><p>
Clarke added that “it’s been a very easy transition for me. Criteriums are something I’m particularly good at, and this is such a powerful team that when I have the whole group working for me, I can do very well.”</p><p>
</p><p>
The two will have their next chance to work together and keep the winning streak going at the Meijer Grand Cycling Classic in Menzies’ home town of Grand Rapids on July 10.</p>

More...