Quantcast

Merida Bikes: Mission Comp

daleyboy

Chimp
Mar 24, 2007
Hi everyone i am new to this forum so please bear with me.

I am just about to buy my first proper bike and would like to know what people think.

I am based in the uk but i will give the prices in dollars for everyone.

I have been offered brand new an 06 merida mission comp, the same as this one pictured below for the princley sum of $706 so am i getting a bargain?

The other question i have is will it take my weight. I roughly weigh 350 pounds and i am 6"8 but i am a bit worried that the suspension wont hold up. I have the ful spec which i will list below so if someone could tell me what they think, because i am :imstupid: when it comes to all this stuff

Size 16", 18", 20", 22"
Speed 27 Speeds
Frame Merida, Mission Hydraulic Forming Frame
Colour Dark Silver/Black
Dropout Replaceable
Fork Manitou, Axel Super Lock Out, 70-100mm
BB Set Shimano, ES-30
Brakes Avid, Single Digit 5R
Chain Shimano, CN-HG73
Chainwheel Shimano, Deore LX, 44/32/22
Derailleur Front Shimano, Deore LX
Derailleur Rear Shimano, Deore LX
Freewheel Shimano, CS-HG50-9
Grip Merida, Screw On
Handlebar Ike, Ike Big Flat
Handlebar Stem Ike, Ike Big
Head Set Tange, ZS22-50 Neck
Hubs Formula, XCM-04 Wheel Set
Pedal Shimano, M520
Rim Formula, XCM-04 Wheel Set
Saddle Ike, Ike Comp
Shifters Shimano, Deore LX
Tyres Maxxis, Ignitor 2.1
Rear Shock Merida LRS Lite Spring

mshred

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
I personally have not heard of those type of bikes, but it seems like a not too bad cycle, but again, I know nothing about it. What kind of riding are you thinking of doing? the main groups of riding are : cross country, Free ride, Dirt jumping, and Downhill. If you are not sure of the specific type of riding you will be doing, describe what you plan on doing. eg. just running to the store, or riding to work, or for fun

Also, where are you buying this bike? eg. bike store, friend, dept. store

Welcome to the monkey!

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com
Nice to have you on board at RideMonkey. Comp's are for XC riding. It takes a bit to get used to if the shifters have "trim." We don't have this bike in the US. A big guy like you would probably prefer disc brakes because it will be safer for you to stop faster. Cranklength is not listed, but you need long ones,...175mm-180mm. At 6 foot 8 inches,.....you probably could do better with an All Mountain bike. It is a stiffer framed bike with 4 -5 inches of travel. Still, not sure what type of rider you are. Can you Demo a bike in the UK?

Diablo13

Chimp
Apr 7, 2007
I think that you should invest in something better than that because I have not heard of the brand and the front suspension doesn't look too great either. Try looking into cross-country bikes with disc brakes and with name brand forks like manitou, fox, marzocchi, rock shox, and even rst isn't that bad compared to that fork. Some cheap bikes are made by Trek, Gary Fisher, Specialized, and Giant. Hope this helps you out.