Quantcast

met with a trainer today

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I just got back from meeting with a personal trainer. I scheduled the meeting to discuss a weight/cardio program. I had done a lot of research and had a pretty good idea what I wanted to do, but I wanted someone who really knew what they were doing to look at it, and tweak it if necessary.

We talked about my goals... what I was willing to put into this and what I was hoping to get out of it. We talked a bit about diet and a few other things, then we talked about a program. We are meeting again Tuesday morning to at the gym to go through some of the exercises and really get a feel for what I'll be doing on a daily basis.

Since I'm too lazy to retype everything, here's a screen capture of what I'm going to keep in my log. I want to track everything so I can monitor progress and success. Being able to see that I'm getting stronger and/or losing weight is going to be what keeps me in this for the long haul.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Cool! :thumb:

Looks pretty good, but I would question the order of some of the exercises. For example, I would not do dumbell flyes before doing bench presses. Flyes are more of a finisher for your chest and by doing them first, you will not be able to bench press as much because your pecs will already be tired. Also, on Wednesday, I would not do abs before weight training. Ab work will tire you out quickly and your weight training could suffer as a result. You need your abdominals to be fresh during weight training. But hey, this is just my nitpicky opinion. :D

It looks good to me otherwise. He's got you doing a good mix of exercises with a lot of free weights.

You get the weekend off? I hope you are planning on riding on the weekend. :)

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
Cool! :thumb:

Looks pretty good, but I would question the order of some of the exercises. For example, I would not do dumbell flyes before doing bench presses. Flyes are more of a finisher for your chest and by doing them first, you will not be able to bench press as much because your pecs will already be tired. :D
Helps isolate the chest and remove the shoulders. A lot of bench strength is from the delts. I used to use a similar technique as I can't actually bench anymore do to some shoulder damage. This lets me bench without damaging my shoulder by moving too much weight. By pre-exhausting the chest you REALLY hit the chest hard. Same with working triceps before a bench press. You just kill the tri's. It isn't a common technique but it works wonders.

Of course it doesn't do much for raw power.

Looks like a decent plan.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
but I would question the order of some of the exercises.
Yea, the order of exercises is not yet set. I'll be doing that with the trainer on tuesday when we are actually in the weight room. Some of the exersices are good transition exercises as they work multiple muscle groups (i.e. dips and rocky pullups), so it makes sense that they be the last exercise for one group and the first exercise for the other.

Like I said... there's still some tweaking to be done, but Monday things get started - officially.