Quantcast

metabolism question

mrsdove

Chimp
Aug 7, 2002
Denver, CO
my metabolism is out of control. I wake up during the night starving...my stomach is growling. I eat a good, healthy meal and 1.5 hours later my stomach is growling. I'm always hungry! I've been riding the same amount of miles for about 4 months now.

Any ideas on what to eat or do so I don't feel like this anymore? I can't exactly be taking breaks to eat every hour at work and I am tired of waking up starving at 3 am.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I get like this during the season. I don't eat big meals, instead I eat small ones every 2.5-3 hours. This will keep your blood sugar, and energy level constant. Just snacks really, but good, healthy snacks. I still wake up starving at night, but I can't see how to fix that. Heck - I'm asleep for 8 hours at least!

Try spreading your eating out over the day with quick snacks. Some ideas: instant oatmeal, yogurt, fruit, crackers, popcorn, nuts w/raisins, pretzels, fig newtons, tuna, graham crackers w/ peanut butter...

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ya do what heidi says you don't want to be eating like 3 big meals a day. Like say you have diner at 6pm than than thats all you eat before sleep you will devinently wake up hungry a 3am. Make sure you eat before you go to bed.

mrsdove

Chimp
Aug 7, 2002
Denver, CO
Originally posted by JMAC
Ya do what heidi says you don't want to be eating like 3 big meals a day. Like say you have diner at 6pm than than thats all you eat before sleep you will devinently wake up hungry a 3am. Make sure you eat before you go to bed.
Eat before you go to bed. Has to be the best advice ever. I'm going to try the small meals/snack thing and see how it goes. I'm just tired of being hungry all the time, but this should work. Thanks!

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Bodybuilders will have a preprepared meal at night ready for them (non-sugar protein bar etc...). This way you body gets fed and gets protein when it isn't used to it. This may be the answer for you. There is a reason your body is hungry.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have taken to eating whenever I am hungry. I find that if I restrict myself too much my performance suffers.

Today at 7 am I had a bowl of cheerios, cup of skim milk and a teaspoon of sugar.

At 9 I had a 12 oz quad non-fat latte.

At 11 I ate a 1000 calorie Marie Calendar Turkey pot pie. I don't reccoment this but... I ate it.

At 2PM I ate about 6 oz of ice cream.

At 7 PM I ate a piece of cake that someone brought to our running club, I didn't want it but it would have been rude to turn it down. I took the smallest piece I could find already cut.

At 8 PM I ate 2 3 oz pork chops, fried but not breaded and I trimmed the fat.

Before I go to bed I'll have a snack of 1 oz of cheese and a few low sodium crackers.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
mrsdove what are your meals consisting of?
plenty of carbs?
Plenty of fat?
Plenty of protein?
when i'm lacking a little of each i crave food that contains what's missing. To many crabs leaves you with that empty feeling, or so i heard.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by mrsdove
my metabolism is out of control. I wake up during the night starving...my stomach is growling. I eat a good, healthy meal and 1.5 hours later my stomach is growling. I'm always hungry! I've been riding the same amount of miles for about 4 months now.

Any ideas on what to eat or do so I don't feel like this anymore? I can't exactly be taking breaks to eat every hour at work and I am tired of waking up starving at 3 am.
The only thing I would add to what has alredy been said is...
If you eat simple carbs (Pasta, Bread, sugars...) then you will get hungry FASTER.
If you eat complex ones (Whole grains, Brown Rice...) or good proteins (low in fat) before you go to bed (like an hour or two before) then you will not get hungry so fast.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by -BB-

If you eat simple carbs (Pasta, Bread, sugars...) then you will get hungry FASTER.
If you eat complex ones (Whole grains, Brown Rice...) or good proteins (low in fat) before you go to bed (like an hour or two before) then you will not get hungry so fast.
oh well just come out and say it then why dont ya!

azrael

Chimp
Jun 1, 2002
sydney.aust
Originally posted by -BB-

ummmmm pasta isnt a simple carb:confused: in fact judging by the glyc index(alhough not proven)pasta is one of the more slower burning foods.

mrsdove

Chimp
Aug 7, 2002
Denver, CO
Originally posted by The Toninator
mrsdove what are your meals consisting of?
plenty of carbs?
Plenty of fat?
Plenty of protein?
when i'm lacking a little of each i crave food that contains what's missing. To many crabs leaves you with that empty feeling, or so i heard.
My day typically goes like this (I'll use today as an example)

Breakfast - cereal (whatever kind is in the box)

snack - granola bar; chex mix (I really screw up my morning snack)

lunch - turkey sandwich; cantaloupe; apple w/peanut butter

snack - rest of apple with peanut butter; cantaloupe

dinner - chicken and rice; corn; mashed potatoes

Now that dinner was 2 hours ago, I'm hungry again. Don't know what I'll eat.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
If you are hungry and not overweight... EAT!!!

If it were me I might have saved the corn for a snack and just had the chicken and potatos or... if you know you are getting enough calories just eat 1/2 your supper and heat the rest up for a snack later. Anyhow your meals are far more balanced than mine - I hate food prep.

mrsdove

Chimp
Aug 7, 2002
Denver, CO
Luckily I have a husband who loves to cook.

I got into eating right when I was pregnant with my son and it has just stuck with me. My downfall - slurpees - I absolutely love slurpees!