Quantcast

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
edit: i take that back, 3/4 of the way through the song, it becomes absolutely horrible.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
edit: i take that back, 3/4 of the way through the song, it becomes absolutely horrible.
sheep

Edit - I actually liked it, a bit surprised by that. 3/4 of the way in it got a bit Maiden sounding, which is never bad.

However, they will never EVER equal/top RTL or MOP ever, ever again.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
He sucks.

James Hetfield co-founded the influential heavy metal band Metallica and, as its chief songwriter, helped pen and perform strident songs such as "Don't Tread on Me." It might as well be his anthem for property rights in Marin County.

The Marin County resident has erected a barbed-wire fence on his property near San Rafael, cutting off a fire trail that locals say has been used for at least a half-century to access treasured hiking trails along scenic ridgelines.

Hetfield's representatives have told county officials that the metal and barbed-wire fence is a response to vandalism on the property. Nonetheless, the decision has infuriated the bikers, hikers and equestrians who use the trail. Some locals say it also threatens a century-old county tradition of property owners giving public access to open space.

"This is really a slap in the face to the community," said Connie Berto, 75, who has been using the trail since the 1960s. "It's atrocious. The fence is outrageous."

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
:plthumbsdown:

The only Metallica worth listening to involves Cliff Burton.

Metallica died in 1986.
I know I'm opening up a can of worms by saying this but what is the obsession with Cliff Burton? Great bass player? Yes. Worthy of legendary status? I just don't see it.

Flame on.

x

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I know I'm opening up a can of worms by saying this but what is the obsession with Cliff Burton? Great bass player? Yes. Worthy of legendary status? I just don't see it.

Flame on.

x
Any rock star that gets crushed under a bus TWICE deserves legendary status. Soooooooo metal.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
He sucks because he fenced HIS property? Maybe instead of crying about it, people should get off of their asses and buy their own property to do what they wish with it.
What's funny is that someone who doesn't like his new fence vandalized it with graffiti that says SHAME or some such thing. So smart and productive.

x

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Metallica is DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If this is any indication of how their new album will sound, it's all over with. They have not produced a good album since "and justice for all. This album is their make it, or break it one. The biggest problem with them since the "Black" album is Hetfield is trying to sing. It's just awful. I've been listening to Metallica since 1983 and other than their older stuff, I can't stand the new material.

It's official!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are done!!!!!

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
Metallica is DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If this is any indication of how their new album will sound, it's all over with. They have not produced a good album since "and justice for all. This album is their make it, or break it one. The biggest problem with them since the "Black" album is Hetfield is trying to sing. It's just awful. I've been listening to Metallica since 1983 and other than their older stuff, I can't stand the new material.

It's official!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are done!!!!!
The big problem is that the went from working with the likes of Rick Ruben to working with Bob Rock. What's crazy is that this album was again produced by Rick Ruben which will probably serve to show that he is also washed up. Either that or they simply have so little inspiration/talent left he had nothing to work with. (Edit: this is the likely scenario as Rick Ruben has far too many accolades to write off as a producer.)

x

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Flame on.

x
He was the soul of the band. The fact that he rocked the bell bottom jeans well into the 80's is proof that he could give a crap about anything besides music. I would also argue that he was more than a "great" bass player. His solo is legendary.

To me the band went in a bad direction after his death.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
He was the soul of the band. The fact that he rocked the bell bottom jeans well into the 80's is proof that he could give a crap about anything besides music. I would also argue that he was more than a "great" bass player. His solo is legendary.

To me the band went in a bad direction after his death.
Point taken but I've just never really cared much about individual members of bands I listen to unless they are clearly the driving force. A band is either good or not so good. If a member leaves and the music suffers, chances are I won't listen long enough to care who's fault it is.

x

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
His solo is legendary.
Not to drag out this debate but to me solos speak not at all about true song writing talent. I could care less how well someone shows off their solo skills on stage in front of a crowd if they can't write a song to save their life. I know several super technically talented musicians who are not good song writers but would knock your socks off playing solos all day.

Assuming Cliff took part in the writing of the songs on Master of Puppets this obviously isn't an issue.

x

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Point taken but I've just never really cared much about individual members of bands I listen to unless they are clearly the driving force. A band is either good or not so good. If a member leaves and the music suffers, chances are I won't listen long enough to care who's fault it is.

x
Metallica was an awesome band. When Dave Mustaine got booted because he was a drunk, the band was different, but still clearly rocked (although Dave wrote some awesome songs, I think the band was better without him). After Cliff died, the band went south.

I would say that Cliff, based on your definition, would = a driving force.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
He sucks because he fenced HIS property? Maybe instead of crying about it, people should get off of their asses and buy their own property to do what they wish with it.
While John Galt and Gail Wynand might salute your attitude, this is property about 20 miles away from Bay Area, and I don't have 10 million dollars to buy land in Marin.

There are hundreds of trails which on private property. For example, the Kingdom Trails in Vermont. These trails exist because the landowners are not bothered by some people riding on undeveloped property.

Marin is a heavily populated area but with plenty of open space. It is not so easy to get access to trails, and locals should take steps to protect trailheads.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Assuming Cliff took part in the writing of the songs on Master of Puppets this obviously isn't an issue.

x
Yup, he was a bad ass.

Wikipedia said:
Their first album, Kill 'Em All, features Burton's famous solo piece, "(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth," which showcased his use of effects, such as a wah pedal (until then the wah pedal had been the near-exclusive domain of six-string guitarists).

The band's second album, Ride the Lightning, showcased the band's increasing musical growth. Burton's songwriting abilities were growing, and he received credit on six of the album's eight songs. Burton's playing style and use of effects is showcased on two tracks: the chromatic intro to "For Whom the Bell Tolls," and the "lead bass" on "The Call of Ktulu"

The increase of musicianship on Ride the Lightning caught the attention of major record labels. Metallica was signed to Elektra, and began working on their third album, Master of Puppets, which is considered by most critics to be a landmark album in both thrash and the whole of metal. Burton is featured heavily on several tracks, most notably the instrumental "Orion," which again featured Burton's lead bass playing style, and was also entirely composed by Burton. The album also contained Burton's favorite Metallica song, "Master of Puppets." Master of Puppets was the band's commercial breakthrough

pedalkicker

Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
earth
The radio station I listen to has been playing it every 45-60 minutes so I've actually listened to it and it's not horrible but it seems like the song goes 3 different directions and I'm done with hearing Jame's singing grunt at the end of every line. I like "Kill Them All" as it "speaks" to me, but I'll prolly end up listening to the new album as my wife is a super fan.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Yep - Kill 'Em All speaks to me too. I think it's the best of their first 3 but it's definitely a tough call.

Did anyone see that documentary where they all started crying over their friendship? It was the least metal thing I think I've ever seen.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
3/4 of the way? WTF? :confused:

It starts out horrible... I didn't even make it 1/2 way through.

For the record I like 'em through Justice... the Black album I found marginal at best. Luckily on their Black tour they played mostly old stuff IIRC. It was all way too f**king loud. :dead:

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
The big problem is that the went from working with the likes of Rick Ruben to working with Bob Rock. What's crazy is that this album was again produced by Rick Ruben which will probably serve to show that he is also washed up. Either that or they simply have so little inspiration/talent left he had nothing to work with. (Edit: this is the likely scenario as Rick Ruben has far too many accolades to write off as a producer.)

x
The big problem is really that they used to have penises and now they have vaginas.