Quantcast

Metro Light Rail Up & Running

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Rode up and down Central on the bike on saturday and the Light Rail was packed. It's like when they open a stretch of freeway and people come to walk on it before they open it to cars.

I don't know why...

Anyway, I hopped the Light Rail this morning. Moves pretty quick and a hell of a lot less stops than the bus which is awesome, but the four vertical bike racks are a pain. The other cyclist on the train just sat there holding his bike as I did.

Web photo:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
How do the vertical racks work?
Think it would fit a FR bike? Or better to just hold it?

Light rail starts right near my house and ends right near my GF's house in Mesa...so I'm thinking it would be a good alternative to driving all the way out to her house a couple times a week.

Oh yeah - do you know how much the fare is going to be?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
How do the vertical racks work?
Think it would fit a FR bike? Or better to just hold it?

Light rail starts right near my house and ends right near my GF's house in Mesa...so I'm thinking it would be a good alternative to driving all the way out to her house a couple times a week.

Oh yeah - do you know how much the fare is going to be?
Ya gotta hoist your bike up and hook your front wheel into the hook. Not a huge task, but I can see a 5' person trying and failing and my Syncros Mental pedals are going to be no help to anyone trying to jam their bike next to mine... :biggrin: Looks like hard stops may send bikes off the hooks too.

The bus all day is $2.50, so the train will prolly be the same. Sounds like it may be perfect for your situation though.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Ya gotta hoist your bike up and hook your front wheel into the hook. Not a huge task, but I can see a 5' person trying and failing and my Syncros Mental pedals are going to be no help to anyone trying to jam their bike next to mine... :biggrin: Looks like hard stops may send bikes off the hooks too.

The bus all day is $2.50, so the train will prolly be the same. Sounds like it may be perfect for your situation though.
Oh, ok.
$2.50 isn't bad. Still technically cheaper than driving, especially if gas goes up again.
Plus, I wouldn't have to drive.