Quantcast

mfzbike - AKA Mark Ziska, mfziska21@tntech.edu

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
I purchased a Boxxer World Cup from Mark on the 21st of April. Before I bought the fork, I asked if there were any scratches on the stanchions, cracks, leaks, etc. Mark replied in a Ridemonkey PM that there were "two tiny scratches that you can hardly see. trust me by no means performance hampering," and in a later email regarding the stanchion scratches that "when i say little. i mean little, i don't think i can get my point and shoot camera to even focus on them."

I received the fork on the 28th of April. The "tiny" scratches were much larger than tiny, and covered areas roughly the size of a half-dollar coin on one stanchion, and a quarter on the other stanchion. I immediately contacted Mark and asked for a refund. He then told me that the scratches "don't affect the performance or reliabilty of the fork at all. If they bother you that much i can get sram to send me some new stanchions. And i'll send them to you asap." I replied telling him I would accept this offer in lieu of a refund.

I waited. And waited. I didn't mount the fork on my bike because I didn't want to do anything with it until I got the new stanchions. I'm not exactly a stickler for perfection with my parts, but I know when something is too bad to ride on - the last thing I wanted to have to do is replace the seals as well as the stanchions. After waiting with a DH bike almost put together for nearly 2 months, I finally decided to trust Mark and mount the fork and ride. On the first run, it was burping oil out on both stanchions where the scratches were. Basically, exactly what I expected would happen. If it's too good to be true...

Since then, it's just been tales of backorders, followed up with flat-out non-reply emails and PMs since. I feel like I've been more than patient with this guy, and have resorted to this post only as a last-ditch effort to try and get him to follow through with his end of the bargain. He got $634 of my money. I thought I was getting a great condition fork, but instead got what I got. If he would have disclosed the true condition of the fork, I probably would have kept looking for something else.

Probably nothing more than a buyer-beware tale here, but ****. Of the dozens of deals I've had out of the RM classifieds, I've only ever dealt with good peeps. Just sucks that these types of people exist. I mean, even if he's got a reason for not getting in touch with me and letting me know what's going on, I'd be ok with that. But that's not the case - he (or someone logged in as him) has been on RM a lot in the past few weeks.

Anyway, based on my experience with the guy, I'll just say mfzbike is not a good seller on Ridemonkey. Buyer beware.