Quantcast

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Like the Olympics or hate them, Michael Phelps is pretty fvcking amazing. He is a pretty incredible athlete. Who thought someone would ever be greater than Mark Spitz?

And that relay last night was CRAZY. Did anyone else see how much the American team won by??

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Yeah that was insane! He gave the team a full body and a half on his leg alone.

Side Note: Im pretty sure the US Womens relay team did the same thing in the same event earlier today.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Also, I think the combination of the venue and the "super suit" should require an * next to the records this year. I mean, Mark Spitz did it with shaggy hair and a mustache.

<edit> The venue is a foot deeper, wider, and has anti-wave gutters to lessen water turbulence.

Not saying the Phelps isn't bad ass, but there are more factors at play here than just talent.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Also, I think the combination of the venue and the "super suit" should require an * next to the records this year. I mean, Mark Spitz did it with shaggy hair and a mustache.

<edit> The venue is a foot deeper, wider, and has anti-wave gutters to lessen water turbulence.

Not saying the Phelps isn't bad ass, but there are more factors at play here than just talent.

Mark Spitz opted to do it with a mustache. He could have shaved like all his competitors did, it just makes him more of a badazz

I agree with the "super suit," but he wasn't wearing it last night during the relay...? I didn't know about the pool though.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA

Phelps also has size 14 feet and is double jointed at the knee. Hes the lance armstrong of swimming, except he wins everything.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Mark Spitz opted to do it with a mustache. He could have shaved like all his competitors did, it just makes him more of a badazz

I agree with the "super suit," but he wasn't wearing it last night during the relay...? I didn't know about the pool though.
I heard it took China like 6 years to get the Olympic committee approval, but it's the first time the pool specs have changed in 40 years or some crap.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Phelps also has size 14 feet and is double jointed at the knee. Hes the lance armstrong of swimming, except he wins everything.
That freak of nature Matt Grevers that swam the backstroke is even bigger, I think. He looks like some big baby huey or something.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Spitz kept the mustache just to psych out the Russians. He told them it made it easier to breathe and they believed him.
It's pretty funny to hear him tell the story.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle

Well, everybody else in that relay was in the same pool and many of them had Speedo suits on. None of the other teams beat the old record.

There isn't a * after all the throwing records from Mexico City.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Well, it's true that all that plays a role in him breaking world records left and right, but he's still stomping the **** out of evryone else, and they're in the same pool, using the same suits. The guy is on a different level.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You want an * next to every world record in virtually every sport two decades? Technology always marches on. Cyclists are riding on super light, highly engineered, vibration damped bikes now. So... that diminishes their accomplishments? We should all go back to riding rigid straight-gauge tubed steel frames? Maybe we should restrict all knowledge gained about the human body in the last decade because it creates unfair training, workout and diet programs that previous athletes didn't have access to. Plus these more advanced training facilities should be stripped of all of their equipment. Anything training that you can't do with a bar and some iron shouldn't be allowed.

See where you could go with that?

The dude is stomping all over a level playing field. Everyone is breaking records, but he's breaking them by the most time. There is no * here.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You want an * next to every world record in virtually every sport two decades? Technology always marches on. Cyclists are riding on super light, highly engineered, vibration damped bikes now. So... that diminishes their accomplishments? We should all go back to riding rigid straight-gauge tubed steel frames? Maybe we should restrict all knowledge gained about the human body in the last decade because it creates unfair training, workout and diet programs that previous athletes didn't have access to. Plus these more advanced training facilities should be stripped of all of their equipment. Anything training that you can't do with a bar and some iron shouldn't be allowed.

See where you could go with that?

The dude is stomping all over a level playing field. Everyone is breaking records, but he's breaking them by the most time. There is no * here.
Touch a nerve?

I just thought it was interesting. I think they should allow doping as it's so advanced now it doesn't matter. So where do you draw the line?

That's all.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
No nerve at all - I'm only interested in Phelps because he's kicking ass and it's fun to watch, after the games he'll never cross my mind - swimming isn't a sport I care about.

Just pointing out that technology advances in a lot of areas and suggesting that the assistance of openly available and Olympic committee approved technology means their records are somehow less impressive is a little silly. There are a lot of reasons that physical human achievements get better and better every year and new technology is only a tiny piece.

Doping isn't even close to the same issue. Altering your body's chemistry is a little different from having a swimsuit that snugs up a little tighter or making your pool a foot deeper.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Doping isn't even close to the same issue. Altering your body's chemistry is a little different from having a swimsuit that snugs up a little tighter or making your pool a foot deeper.
Except that Phelps is a genetic freak. If he breeds with another Olympic swimmer, their children will have webbed feet and gills. How is North Korea going to compete with that?

I mean, something like blood doping (autologous transfusion) is still YOUR blood, right? It's not like they are using something purchased in Mexico.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
so did anyone else catch the swimming coverage last night when the announcers referred to some japanese guy as the best breast stroker in the world? :rofl:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Except that Phelps is a genetic freak. If he breeds with another Olympic swimmer, their children will have webbed feet and gills. How is North Korea going to compete with that?
That's the next step, of course.

A US Olympic training program, paired with a US Olympic breeding program.

I'm a goddamn genius. BRB, headed to a patent attorney.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I know you aren't comparing doping to hard training and luck of the draw in physical genes, right?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Hey, I know a guy that knows a guy that went to school with a guy whose cousin once went to grade school with another guy's brother who was "racking" her. I hear she's super nice.
My Mom's Dad's Wife's Cousin's Daughter's Sister's Grandmother's Cousin's Husband's Granddaughter's Son's Sister's Brother wouldn't mind "racking" her.