Quantcast

Michelin 2010

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I got last year 6 tires twisted that way in a paket.
Two of them did not work tubless because of a bend in the tire bead.
But no problem with normal tires.
Bingo!!! If you know Michelin DH tires, you will know they have the strongest wire beads in the market. Mainly for tubeless. Plus I have seen some tires look warped because some bent the bead. I am just saying I would not suggest it.

Cecil

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I have never and, as Cecil can attest, should NEVER run tubeless since my rims tend to never be free of dents. So it never mattered much to me. Hopefully I never screwed over anybody that way.

FYI, I took a set of the new Michelin Wild Rockrs off a set of I9 rims last week that were tubeless/Stans. Definitely neat how that tubeless stuff works, but why run it on a DH bike? Rims NEVER stay dentless.

Would definitely consider tubeless on my trail bike though.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Definitely neat how that tubeless stuff works, but why run it on a DH bike? Rims NEVER stay dentless.

Butch, ether way you or anyone else runs a DH tire tubeless or not, the impact on the rim is the same ether way you run the tire. The only protection the rim ever has is the bead and side wall of the tire. The tube does nothing for rim protection. I will say running tubeless for DH you don't lose much weight but for XC you do. A good tubeless DH tire will weigh about the same as a standard DH tire and XC tube together. The only advantage of running tubeless for DH is better traction and grip when running the tire at the PSI it was mint to be ran at. Michelins DH tires being 28 PSI. Give or take a little for rider weight. With tubeless the tire is free to move around to do the job it's mint to do. When running a tube the tire is restrained some by the tube for lateral grip due to the compression it puts on the rim and inner side wall of the tire.

Hope this helps.

Cecil

Gelbwurstbrot

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Franken, Germany
I have never and, as Cecil can attest, should NEVER run tubeless since my rims tend to never be free of dents. So it never mattered much to me. Hopefully I never screwed over anybody that way.

FYI, I took a set of the new Michelin Wild Rockrs off a set of I9 rims last week that were tubeless/Stans. Definitely neat how that tubeless stuff works, but why run it on a DH bike? Rims NEVER stay dentless.

I also dent rims very easily and had to change 721 rims twice to three times a year.
But now I have Deemax and they are much more dent-resistent. It would be even cheaper if a rim last just a full saeson but the rims are still in good shape.
This saeson I was 6 weeks in PDS/France and several days in different bikeparks in Germany and Austria and German tracks are often very rocky.

Soft rims like Stans Flow UST would not last longer than a weekend for me. So it depends on the rim.

I still had a few punctures with UST but much less than with a normal tire and a tube. UST tires are also easy to repair wirt Tip Top UST tire repair patches. It is easier than repair a tube.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
My concern with tubeless is that they aren't going to hold air when I dent them up....which I do practically first run.
Not with 823s. The only dent I put mine is coming short on a drop. They still hold air though and Im probably not far behind in trashing wheels. My old non tubeles 04 deemax looked like they were produced by alfa romeo ;)

Gelbwurstbrot

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Franken, Germany
Did you ever tried Mavic 823?
They are much more stiffer than 721. You can not compare them.

With tubeless you can run more pressure without loosing grip.
30 psi in a tubless tire feels like 26 psi or less in a tire with a tube.

Last edited: