Quantcast

Might be a dumb idea, but...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
To whoever might have done this before, or would know how to do it, I need your input.

I have a laptop I bought a couple years ago and I got the mega warranty along with it. It's a P4 and I'd really like something with a Centrino of some kind for the lighter weight and battery life that they claim.

How to fry my laptop to they'll replace it under warranty with a brand spankin new one?

All deconstructive advice is welcome...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You're a dumbass. Warranty fraud like this is why it's so freakin' hard to get things fixed/replaced when they actually break. Do you throw your bike frames off a cliff to crack them before the warranty runs out?

Don't be an asshole. That's no different then walking into Staples and stealing one - pay for your equipment, or suffer without it. My laptop is heavier than I'd like, too, but it works just fine - suck it up, princess.

:stosh:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Heat will usually destroy a computer pretty quick, particularly laptops.

You best bet though, might be to sell the laptop on e-bay, then take the money and put that towards a new laptop.

While I agree with BV I am not going to chastise you since I myself can be a bit of a software pirate, I mean software privateer. No need for me to be more of a hypocrite than I already am. But yeah, what he said.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
If you got the accident protection, then you might get away with it by claiming a drop or a spill. If you do, make sure your LCD is smashed AND the MoBo is fried because if not, they'll just replace either and send you back your old lappy.
With that said, I'm on the page that you sell the sucker (NOT on ebay as it's a buyer's market on there) and use the funds towards a new one.
And no, I haven't intentionally cooked a lappy for warranty purposes before. I have however serviced them (you guys get your mind out of the gutters!).

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
By the way Peach, you just flagged yourself as being a dishonest person, as well as a dumbass for buying an extended warranty on something that is always a dinosaur soon after it comes out. (pretty much any computer).

Good luck ever trying to sell anything on RM.

:D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ciaran said:
While I agree with BV I am not going to chastise you since I myself can be a bit of a software pirate, I mean software privateer. No need for me to be more of a hypocrite than I already am.
Not to turn this discussion into a philisophical one, but IMO, there's a big difference between theft of software and theft of hardware. Just my opinion, of course.

On the other hand, I don't have a single piece of pirated software on my computer right now so I guess I don't have to make that distinction :D - last thing I got was from Pau11y and I played with it, then uninstalled it. Everything else is paid for or I've found freeware alternatives to commercial software.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
binary visions said:
On the other hand, I don't have a single piece of pirated software on my computer right now so I guess I don't have to make that distinction
Pussy.

:)

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Well well aren't we touchy?! Not much of a tech geek, and most of the ones I know are the one's who have the most stolen software, music, movies and the like.

It doesn't make my little HYPOTHETICAL scenario any more honest, but what colour is that kettle Mr. Pot?

I did buy the warranty after all, so I see it more like a great pre-arranged discount on my next computer...potentially, if my computer were to have some unfortunate accident.

Maybe there are computer hitmen out there...